[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Where can I buy Replacement Power Supply for A500?

megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) (08/30/90)

Several people have indicated that my power on delay problems with my Amiga
500 seem to related to my power supply being broken.  It seems that the CBM
power supply is marginal to power my A500, my Trumpcard, and a Seagate SCSI
harddisk.

Being that there is no Amiga dealer for over 70 miles from me, I need
advise on replacment power supplies.  Other than CBM's, who makes supplies
and what supply is the best?

I've been told I can rig a PC power supply, but I'm inept at solder and
making cables.  So I need one that already comes built.  Any ideas on who's
to buy and from where I can buy it?
--
Mark E. Sunderlin: IRS Technocrat in Stephens City, VA
 aka Dr. Megabyte: megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us  (703) TOY-DUDE

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug30.152522.3387@chinet.chi.il.us> megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) writes:

> Several people have indicated that my power on delay problems with my Amiga
> 500 seem to related to my power supply being broken.  It seems that the CBM
> power supply is marginal to power my A500, my Trumpcard, and a Seagate SCSI
> harddisk.

This is what I send to people on Bitnet when they ask this such
questions on Info-AMIGA.

Tom's Guide to the A500 and Powersupplies

The CBM power supply is speced to handle the A500, the A501 Memory
Expansion and EXACTLY 1 external floppy drive.  This was told to
developers from day one.  There are EXACTLY 0 amps remaining after
this configuration is used.

But you say:  "I understand.  But *my* configuration sure works."
	Ok.  Now each of your components aren't getting the right
amount of electrons.  They each get a fraction of what they want.
They MAY work, but they are being stressed.  This is much like eating
half as much at each meal.  You are getting fed, but you'll be moaning
after a couple days and eventually you'll lose your body fat and then
months later you'll pass out.  Computers don't have body fat to delay
the "pass out" phase.  Eventually your components will start to
randomly fail.  You'll start thinking that you have buggy software or
most likely you'll blame it on CBM for making unreliable machines.
Who made your configuration unreliable?  I'd blame either you or the
third party, wouldn't you?  I blame the third-party company since they
broke the rules.  Your configuration is adding to C-A's (unwarrented)
bad reputation.

But you say:  "OK!  I'll buy a bigger power supply!  More amps for everything."
	Ok.  Now each component is getting the right amount of
electrons, but are you sure?  Well, lets assume that you are an EE and
you are sure.  How do all those electrons get to those components?
You are now pumping more electrons through the A500 mother board than
it was made to handle.  This is like putting high-pressure water
through a garden hose.  Sure, the hose won't break because it will
expand.  Can the electronics expand?  No, so they hot.  They convert
the electrons to heat.  They get so hot that the plastic case can
melt.  There is just enough ventilation in the A500 to support normal
operation.  Don't push it.  If you don't melt the plastic case you are
now making all the chips operate at a very hot temperature.  This
makes them unreliable and they start to fail.  You'll start thinking
that you have buggy software or most likely you'll blame CBM for
making unreliable machines.  Sounds fammilier?  You're hurting C-A.

But you say:  "OK!  I'll throw out my A500 and get an Amiga 2x00 or
Amiga 3000 because they were made to expand and the A500 wasn't made
to be expanded."
	Fine.

[The rest of this is a little harsh.  I need to figure out how to tone
it down.  A500 users may not want to read it.  You have been warned.
Take it with a grain of salt.  Your milage may vary.]

Or you say:  "OK!  I'll buy equipment for my A500 that has it's own
power supply.  Which means I'll need more wall sockets but that's the
way C-A designed it."
	Sort of.  In the specs it says that daisy-chaining off the
expansion slot it NOT allowed.  You either add one device or a
well-built expansion box.
	You say, "but the price of a A500 plus an expansion box is the
same as a A2000" or "but daisy-chaining works... except a couple
combinations and each vendor blames the other vendor" or "but
daisy-chaining works... except my machine crashes every couple
hours... but I can live with that".
	I reply, "I have personally never recommended that anyone
purchase an A500.  If you want to save money buy an A2000.  If you
want to save time (by reducing hassle) buy an A2000.  You save twice."
	You reply, "but a bought an A500 to save money."  I reply,
"Oh.  Just keep telling yourself that."

(and my radio pops on and you hear)

"We were at the beach			Boys in bikinis
Everybody had matching towels		Girls on surfboards
Somebody went under a dock		Everybody dancing
And there they found a rock		Everybody frugin'
It wasn't a rock			Dancing by the fire, having fun
It was a rock lobster.			Baking potatoes, baking in the sun."
             The B-52's, "Rock Lobster"

-Tom
---
Tom Limoncelli,  Not representing any company or institution.
  limonce@pilot.njin.net -- tlimonce@drew.edu -- tlimonce@drew.Bitnet