[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Trouble with A3000 memory installation

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) (08/24/90)

Hello all,

With my collection of net.wisdom and 'Introducing the Amiga 3000' in
hand, I boldly set out to install my new 8 1Mx4 70ns ZIP SCRAMS.  But
all I get now when attempting to boot is the dreaded yellow screen
(after getting to the kickstart screen).

I took care to:
- be properly grounded
- install ZIPs in proper bank (bank 0), and correct orientation
- move 1MB DIPS to Chip ram section
- change jumper
- reassemble machine

So what could be wrong?

I'm a little concerned about the jumper -- the manual says number J852
and gives a picture of a jumper with 3 pins, but the one on the
motherboard with this number has five pins.  As in the docs, for 1Mx4
SCRAMS I changed it:

	 / \		 / \
	| . |		| x |		(x == jumper location,
from	| x |	to	| x |		 . == bare pin		)
	| x |		| . |
	| . |		| . |
	| . |		| . |
	-----		-----
	(J852)		(J852)

Is this correct?  Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Maurice LeBrun                  Internet: mjl@fusion.ph.utexas.edu
Institute for Fusion Studies              14547%NERSC@CCC.NERSC.GOV
University of Texas at Austin     Phonet: 512-471-6149

skank@du248-09.cc.iastate.edu (Skank George L) (08/25/90)

In article <36667@ut-emx.UUCP> mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) writes:
>Hello all,
>
>With my collection of net.wisdom and 'Introducing the Amiga 3000' in
>hand, I boldly set out to install my new 8 1Mx4 70ns ZIP SCRAMS.  But
>all I get now when attempting to boot is the dreaded yellow screen

                         IMPORTANT NEWSFLASH!!!

     My dealer informed me Tuesday that Commodore has adopted a TOUGH new
policy with respect to the new one year warrenty.  All new Amigas are shipped
with a SEALED case,if this seal is broken the warrenty is automatically voided.
Commodore is being VERY tough about inforcing this new policy.  This policy
extends to installation of memory AND INTERNAL CARDS on all Amiga models.
During the warrenty period all work must be done at a qualified Amiga service
center or dealer for the warrenty to remain valid.  After the service is
performed the dealer will affix a sticker to the machine to mark it as having
been serviced.

     Thought you'd like to know,
                                   George

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (mjl) (08/25/90)

It works, yippee!
Nearly infinite ram now, well for a while at least :-).

In article <36667@ut-emx.UUCP>  I wrote:
>With my collection of net.wisdom and 'Introducing the Amiga 3000' in
>hand, I boldly set out to install my new 8 1Mx4 70ns ZIP SCRAMS.  But
>all I get now when attempting to boot is the dreaded yellow screen
>(after getting to the kickstart screen).
>
>I took care to:
>- be properly grounded
>- install ZIPs in proper bank (bank 0), and correct orientation
>- move 1MB DIPS to Chip ram section
>- change jumper
>- reassemble machine

Unfortunately I did NOT:
 - make sure backplane (daughterboard) was inserted correctly (it
requires a fairly good shove)

Reinserting it corrected the problem.  An old message posted by Ross
Cunniff clued me in on this.

Regarding the jumper for switching between 1Mx4 and 256Kx4 chips, I wrote:
>I'm a little concerned about the jumper -- the manual says number J852
>and gives a picture of a jumper with 3 pins, but the one on the
>motherboard with this number has five pins.  [...deleted]

One person wrote me saying that his indeed had only 3 pins.  I assume
mine was an older motherboard revision (6.3).  Mayhaps this was
support for other memory chips?

Enough banter, time to go play with my new toy :-).

In article <1990Aug25.070613.25278@fs-1.iastate.edu> skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:

>                         IMPORTANT NEWSFLASH!!!
>
>     My dealer informed me Tuesday that Commodore has adopted a TOUGH new
>policy with respect to the new one year warrenty.  All new Amigas are shipped
>with a SEALED case,if this seal is broken the warrenty is automatically voided.
>Commodore is being VERY tough about inforcing this new policy.  This policy
>extends to installation of memory AND INTERNAL CARDS on all Amiga models.
>During the warrenty period all work must be done at a qualified Amiga service
>center or dealer for the warrenty to remain valid.  After the service is
>performed the dealer will affix a sticker to the machine to mark it as having
>been serviced.
>
>     Thought you'd like to know,
>                                   George

	I'll give Commodorians here a chance to deny this before
I lose it, but if this is true: WHAT IDI*T MADE THIS POLICY! All
Commodore is doing is making life for their customers more
difficult. Service centers in general charge high prices for
labor time. They will also want you to buy from them rather than
from some other cheaper place. Maybe I'm misunderstanding things
but wasn't the Amiga (2000-3000) meant to be easily expanded???
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

*Iraq += *Kuwait
NumCountries--

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug25.171112.21172@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1990Aug25.070613.25278@fs-1.iastate.edu> skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:
                                    [...]
>>                         IMPORTANT NEWSFLASH!!!
>>
>>     My dealer informed me Tuesday that Commodore has adopted a TOUGH
>>new policy with respect to the new one year warrenty.  All new Amigas
>>are shipped with a SEALED case,if this seal is broken the warrenty is
>>automatically voided.
                                    [...]
>	I'll give Commodorians here a chance to deny this before
>I lose it, but if this is true: WHAT IDI*T MADE THIS POLICY! All
                                    [...]
If I was responsible for backing up the warranty on a machine like
the 3000 full of static sensitive surface-mount components, I would
not want consumers poking around in it.  Even qualified technicians
sometimes destroy parts as a result of static discharge.  What % of
average consumers would understand and take proper precautions, even
if instructions were included detailing the procedure?

Your ill-conceived flaming is unreasonable and irrational.  Allowing
consumers to poke around in warranteed equipment like this could
bankrupt a company.

Give CBM a break.  You can't poke around in your Amiga and expect
Commodore to pay for what will probably prove to be your own mistakes.
If you're good enough to be in there then you're good enough to fix it
if it breaks.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

skank@du248-09.cc.iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:

>                         IMPORTANT NEWSFLASH!!!

>     My dealer informed me Tuesday that Commodore has adopted a TOUGH new
>policy with respect to the new one year warrenty.  All new Amigas are shipped
>with a SEALED case,if this seal is broken the warrenty is automatically voided.
>Commodore is being VERY tough about inforcing this new policy.  This policy
>extends to installation of memory AND INTERNAL CARDS on all Amiga models.
>During the warrenty period all work must be done at a qualified Amiga service
>center or dealer for the warrenty to remain valid.  After the service is
>performed the dealer will affix a sticker to the machine to mark it as having
>been serviced.

Hmm., this doesn't sound right to me. After all, I thought the whole point of
having slots and the mem sockets was so it would be easy for the owner to
upgrade and customize his machine himself. Having to take it into the dealer
for every little thing would be a real hassle.

Will someone from CBM comment on this?
BTW: how can they tell if you have messed with the case once you have taken it
in to the dealer and he has broken the seal?

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

davids@cup.portal.com (David Kenneth Schreiber) (08/30/90)

[First:  line eater fodder]

Second, I just wanted to mention that I'm surprised that this hasn't
generated more discussion.  Perhaps cross-posting to c.s.amiga would
be in order.  But anyway:

In some article swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
.In article <1990Aug25.171112.21172@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.colu
bia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
.>In article <1990Aug25.070613.25278@fs-1.iastate.edu> skank@iastate.edu (Skan
 George L) writes:
                                    [...]
.>>                         IMPORTANT NEWSFLASH!!!
.>>
.>>     My dealer informed me Tuesday that Commodore has adopted a TOUGH
.>>new policy with respect to the new one year warrenty.  All new Amigas
.>>are shipped with a SEALED case,if this seal is broken the warrenty is
.>>automatically voided.
.                                    [...]

What sort of seal is this?  I found no seal on my 3000 (unless it refers
to the way the screws are screwed in or something).

.>	I'll give Commodorians here a chance to deny this before
.>I lose it, but if this is true: WHAT IDI*T MADE THIS POLICY! All
.                                    [...]

.If I was responsible for backing up the warranty on a machine like
.the 3000 full of static sensitive surface-mount components, I would
.not want consumers poking around in it.  Even qualified technicians
.sometimes destroy parts as a result of static discharge.  What % of
.average consumers would understand and take proper precautions, even
.if instructions were included detailing the procedure?

Instructions _are_ included detailing memory expansion and hard drive
installation on the 3000.  There is nothing saying "Do this and you
will void your warranty."  If Commodore doesn't want consumers poking
around inside its machinery, it should say so.  Personally, I see the
lack of such warning, along with the detailed installation directions,
as granting permission to do the installations without risk of voiding
the warranty (at least as long as no damage is done by the installation).

.Your ill-conceived flaming is unreasonable and irrational.  Allowing
.consumers to poke around in warranteed equipment like this could
.bankrupt a company.

How many other personal computer companies have this sort of warranty
policy, anyway?  Are the ones that don't near the edge of bankrupcy?

.Give CBM a break.  You can't poke around in your Amiga and expect
.Commodore to pay for what will probably prove to be your own mistakes.
.If you're good enough to be in there then you're good enough to fix it
.if it breaks.

1:  I've spent $3000+ of my own money on Commodore this summer for my
3000 & 1950;  they're not the ones deserving the break :-).
2:  Is this policy binding on people who bought 3000s before the policy
change was enacted.  If so, this prompts a comment and a question:
 a) "Probably" just doesn't cut it, at least according to the warranty
agreement that _I_ entered into when buying this machine.  That agreement
says that damaged is not covered if it is _caused_ by unauthorized
"repairs or modifications".  Nowhere does it say that damage is not
covered if the machine has simply been _opened_ by the consumer.
 b) Does anyone know if it is actually LEGAL for Commodore to change
a warranty agreement (contract?) midstream.  I'm no lawyer, but it
strikes me the answer would be no, in which case I should still be able to
have my machine serviced even though I've installed extra RAM and a
hard drive, and even though all the machine being sold now would have
much more easily voided warranties.  Of course, I know nothing of contract
law, so I could very well be totally wrong.  Would any net.lawyers like
to give the definitive word?

Finally, what I'd _really_ like is someone from Commodore to confirm
or deny this whole warranty thing.

.--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.
.  Warren   v\ *|     ----------------------------------------------
.             V       {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

I wish Portal would let me do real .sigs :-(, but for now, this'll have to
do:
-Dave Schreiber at davids@cup.portal.com            "Coffee, Darling?"

dfisk@level10.UUCP (David Fisk) (08/30/90)

>In article <1990Aug25.070613.25278@fs-1.iastate.edu> skank@du248-09.cc.iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:
>			  IMPORTANT NEWSFLASH!!!
>
>     My dealer informed me Tuesday that Commodore has adopted a TOUGH new
>policy with respect to the new one year warrenty.  All new Amigas are shipped
>with a SEALED case,if this seal is broken the warrenty is automatically voided.
>Commodore is being VERY tough about inforcing this new policy.  This policy
>extends to installation of memory AND INTERNAL CARDS on all Amiga models.
>During the warrenty period all work must be done at a qualified Amiga service
>center or dealer for the warrenty to remain valid.  After the service is
>performed the dealer will affix a sticker to the machine to mark it as having
>been serviced.

Well, I have recieved similar news at the dealership I work part time for,
but slightly different. I heard that this new program was to cover the
lower-end consumer products, meaning the C64, 1541/1581 Disk Drives, the
Amiga 500 and A1011 Disk. This was NOT goint to cover the 2000-3000 range
of machines as they are designed for user installation of cards.
(Even the new 3000 manual goes through extra hard disk/ram installation
procedures).

Perhaps someone official can clear this up once and for-all before the
&*#*$& starts flying. I'll try and get the official notification that
was sent in the meantime.
  David Fisk - level10!dfisk@ssi3b1.zone1.com	 dfisk@level10.UUCP
  ...{mit-eddie,pyramid,datacube}!mirror!ssi3b1!level10!dfisk
  Anyone looking for a AmigaDOS or Unix C Programmer

6600dan@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Dan Zerkle) (08/31/90)

In article <33396@cup.portal.com> davids@cup.portal.com (David Kenneth Schreiber) writes:
   Instructions _are_ included detailing memory expansion and hard drive
   installation on the 3000.  There is nothing saying "Do this and you
   will void your warranty."  If Commodore doesn't want consumers poking
   around inside its machinery, it should say so.  Personally, I see the
   lack of such warning, along with the detailed installation directions,
   as granting permission to do the installations without risk of voiding
   the warranty (at least as long as no damage is done by the installation).

The manual sez:

WARNING:  Installation of RAM chips should be performed by an
authorized Commodore-Amiga Service Center, or by your Commodore-Amiga
dealer.  Commodore-Amiga will not be responsible or liable for any
damages caused by improper installation of RAM chips.

There are no seals on the 3000.  At least, not on mine.  I should
know--I took the whole thing apart to admire it, then had a hell of a
time getting it back together (NOT a simple project).  The 500,
however, does have a seal.  It covers one of the bolts that holds the
case together, and says "warrantee seal".

				-Dan
--

Dan Zerkle 6600dan@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu 6600dan@ucsbuxa.bitnet (805) 968-4683
       Amiga....  Because life is too short for boring computers.

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) (09/01/90)

The poster included a statement that this didn't involve adding cards to the
2000 & 3000.  I think if I'm stupid enough to remove my drives and screw
something up, I should have to pay for it.  I don't trust myself when I jump
start a car much less poking in my 2000.  You should've seen me hooking up my
2nd floppy and putting in my memory board!  I could've made James Bond a
martini!

AMH
* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just
* Indiana University |-----------------------------------|  can't get rid of a
*    //	 Amiga Man   |   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |  bomb!"
*  \X/	 At Large!   |   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   | - Batman (original)