[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Reply to AT Bridgeboard Problems

griffin@frith.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (09/03/90)

I tried to reply privately, but it bounced, so...

To: WTW101@psuvm.psu.edu
Subject: Re: Flakey AT bridgeboards

Read of your Bridgeboard dilemma.  I have had many problems with my
XT Bridgeboard. It would boot sometimes, others not at all.  Binddrivers
wouldn't work, and then I'd get library not found errors.  Intermittent
problems are hardware related, and after reseating the chips and messing
with the cabling, I resolved myself to resoldering all the connection
points on the board.  My Brdgeboard hasn't failed in almost a year, now.
It went from 20% to 100% reliability.

While this shouldn't happen, it's not all that uncommon. If you deal
with electronics very much, you will see this in the future.  Hope
this helps.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu		"Crritic!"  -- Estragon

WTW101@psuvm.psu.edu (Bill Warner) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Sep2.170458.3329@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, griffin@frith.msu.edu
(Danny Griffin) says:

>Read of your Bridgeboard dilemma.  I have had many problems with my
>XT Bridgeboard. It would boot sometimes, others not at all.  Binddrivers
>wouldn't work, and then I'd get library not found errors.  Intermittent
>problems are hardware related, and after reseating the chips and messing
>with the cabling, I resolved myself to resoldering all the connection
>points on the board.  My Brdgeboard hasn't failed in almost a year, now.
>It went from 20% to 100% reliability.
>--

>Dan Griffin
>griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu               "Crritic!"  -- Estragon

Repositioning the cabling from the AT board to the 5.25 inch drive seems to
affect the reliability to a great extent.  I think half the problem with
these boards is the 24 inch flux-monster cable they use to connect the
two devices.  What they should do is shield these cables with a foil/pvc
jacket.

pnelson@hobbes.uucp (Phil Nelson) (09/03/90)

In article <90245.162153WTW101@psuvm.psu.edu> WTW101@psuvm.psu.edu (Bill Warner) writes:

|Repositioning the cabling from the AT board to the 5.25 inch drive seems to
|affect the reliability to a great extent.  I think half the problem with
|these boards is the 24 inch flux-monster cable they use to connect the
|two devices.  What they should do is shield these cables with a foil/pvc
|jacket.

If the problem is induced noise in the cable, this might help. If the
problem is excessive cable capacitance, shielding will make it worse.

--
Phil Nelson . uunet!pyramid!oliveb!tymix!hobbes!pnelson . Voice:408-922-7508

	War on drug abuse- YES.	War on the Constitution- NO.