[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] HELP WITH 1084 fix PLEASE.

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (09/03/90)

In article <1195@tardis.Tymnet.COM>, jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:

My original problem was a momentary alteration in the aspect ratio of
the screen associated with a bzzzt sound.

> Take off the cover of the 2002 and look at it from the back.  Examine the
> printed-circuit (PC) board.  To the left you should find the power connector,
> the audio connector, and the chroma/luma video connectors.  That corner of the
> PC board is grounded and shielded by a piece of metal that is soldered on.
>
> To the right you should find an "L" shaped aluminum heat sink with a power
> transistor bolted to the right-hand side.  (The planes of the heat sink are
> vertical and surround the flyback transformer.  A thick red wire comes out
> of the flyback transformer and connects to the upper side of the picture
> tube.)

This cable is co-ax, and the insulation has been stripped and the "earth"
shielding is clamped to the heat sink with a small clip.

> If you look under the printed circuit board, you should see two screws
> holding the heat sink to the PC board, and a bent metal tang that goes
> through a hole and also holds the heat sink down.

No screws, 4 bent tabs.

>I saw evidence of an
> electrostatic discharge that jumped from the metal tang to one of the copper
> traces on the PC board.  This is the cause of the "snap" and "pop".
> The heat sink is not electrically connected to anything, and accumulated
> an electrostatic charge until it arced over.

I saw arcing on the _top_ side of the board, between the flyback transformer
and the heat sink.

> I simply ran a wire from one of the screws that holds the heat sink to the
> PC board over to a screw by the input connectors.  Make sure the wire is
> insulated so as to not short out anything else on the PC board.  I used
> an ohm-meter and verified that it showed zero ohms between the heat sink
> and the grounding shield.  "Poof", no more pops!
> --

A little bit puzzled, I ran a wire from the clip that connects the coax
cable shielding to the braided "earth" that surround the picture tube.

Monitor worked fairly well for a few hours, then bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt...
and complete loss of picture. Picture returned with a good thump on
the side of the case. Haven't opened it yet, but seems like the transformer
is arcing to earth, not to a charged heat sink.

Any suggestions?

> Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
> BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
> PO Box 49019, MS-C51    | BIX: smithjoe | 12 PDP-10s still running! "POPJ P,"
> San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."

Regards Alan