[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] CBM monitors

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (09/06/90)

In article <7902@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
:In article <1990Sep5.023412.20940@uokmax.uucp> jstraigl@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jeffrey S Traigle) writes:
:>In the latest educational prices, there is a monitor listed that I've
:>never heard of, the 2024 (Hedley monitor). Is this the runored new
:>beast with a different name attached or is it something else entirely?
:>If it's the latter, could you tell me what it is?
:
:It's something else entirely.  It's a 1280x800 (??) monochrome monitor
:but has 2 bits per pixel.  It uses one of the new modes in the new
:chips to do it's stuff.  And this about exhausts my knowledge of it.

	Close, you don't need the new chips to use it, just 2.0...

:What I wanna know about it is:  exactly what monitor is it *really*.  As
:I recall the original Hedly monitor was a Moniterm that had an extra
:board stuck in it which helped the custom chips in doing such an oddly
:shaped screen.  But with the 2024 and the new chips this board wouldn't
:be necessary, right?

	The Hedley is similar to the Moniterm, but not the same. In
addition the having the board internal, the screen size is a lot smaller,
14 inch on the 2024, 19 inch on the Moniterm. I'd personally prefer the
19 inch for work at 1000x800 resolution, but the 2024 will work on all
Amigas, not just on the 2000.

:Now.. I happen to have this moniterm monitor that isn't of any other use
:sitting around.  It's a really nice monitor which really needs to
:have a use.  So, is it equivalent to a 2024?  Specifically it's a VY1000
:(or so says the plate on the back) and was bought to plug into a PC/AT
:graphics board by Bell Tech, but the graphics board isn't supported
:any longer ..

	You might be able to get the Moniterm people to sell you their
adapter board... That would certainly make that an attractive monitor.

:--
:<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
:<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>
:<-
:<- Sign me up for one "I survived Jaka's Story" T-shirt!

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes

d6b@psuecl.bitnet (09/07/90)

In article <7902@gollum.twg.com>, david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
> In article <1990Sep5.023412.20940@uokmax.uucp> jstraigl@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jeffrey S Traigle) writes:
>>In the latest educational prices, there is a monitor listed that I've
>>never heard of, the 2024 (Hedley monitor). Is this the runored new
>>beast with a different name attached or is it something else entirely?
>>If it's the latter, could you tell me what it is?
>
> It's something else entirely.  It's a 1280x800 (??) monochrome monitor
> but has 2 bits per pixel.  It uses one of the new modes in the new
> chips to do it's stuff.  And this about exhausts my knowledge of it.

As I recall, the Hedley buffers several frames from some arbitrary
digital outputs of Denise to make one large image. It has nothing to do
with the "new" Denise, which doesn't solve the basic problem (greater
chip memory bandwidth).

-- Dan Babcock