[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A590 HD Dip switch info needed please.

umsmigie@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jason Smigiel) (09/07/90)

	I have an a590 Hard Drive that I purchased used, and came with
absolutely no documentation!   I then stuck the HD on my ancient
A1000.

	My problem is I cannot get the A1000 to autoboot off of the A590.
I'm guessing that one of the dip switches controls this.  I'm now
in the process of doing the trial and error thing to see if I'm right.

But... I'd like to know what the switches do.  As well as get as much info
about the A590 as possible.

Also, it could be possible that the A1000 simply cannot boot off of a
A590 HD.  Does anyone have some tips/experience they could share with
me about the A1000/A590 combo?

(I don't think the PAL grounding is too critical right now.  The A590
is the only expansion device on the computer.)

Thanks For Your Time,
Jason

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep7.024746.10973@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umsmigie@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jason Smigiel) writes:

>	I have an a590 Hard Drive that I purchased used, and came with
>absolutely no documentation!   I then stuck the HD on my ancient
>A1000.

>	My problem is I cannot get the A1000 to autoboot off of the A590.

Well, this is so obvious I hesitate to post it, but you didn't mention
it at all, so we have no way of knowing what your configuration is.

Do you have a kickstart eliminator installed on your 1000?  If not then you
will not be able to autoboot.  The Amiga cannot load from the harddrive
without the routines that are stored in kickstart.  You cannot load
kickstart from the harddrive, therefore.  Kickstart is stored in rom on
the 500, 2000, and 3000.  In addition the 2500 and 3000 can (with the
right software) allow you to load an alternate kickstart from the
harddrive, but these machines use the existing in-ROM kickstart to load the
second "replacement" kickstart.
--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

umsmigie@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jason Smigiel) (09/10/90)

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:

>Well, this is so obvious I hesitate to post it, but you didn't mention
>it at all, so we have no way of knowing what your configuration is.
>
>[More info on how to use Kickstart for various Amiga's deleted. Jason]

I'm sorry.  I should have elaborated more.

	I Have:     A1000
		    512K Memory (all Chip type, standard A1000 stuff)
		    Kickstart 1.3 (v 34.5) Workbench 1.3 (v 34.20)
		    PAL's are NOT grounded yet.

The A1000 goes through Kickstart fine.  It then requests a Workbench disk
instead of booting off of the A590.  After booting the computer from a
floppy, "binddrivers" brings the A590 to life.  After learning that my DIP
switches are set correctly, and their functions, I think the problem lies
with the Rigid Disk Block.

But I now have a different problem.....  (sheesh) After installing 512k of
memory in the A590, to bring the computer to a total of 1 Meg, the A1000
will not go through Kickstart properly.  It seems to load the image fine,
but now instead of prompting for a Workbench disk it just sits on a dark
grey screen.

I think I've installed the memory properly:

	I changed the "amnesia" jumper to "512k"
	And installed the 4 chips in a horizontal fashion
	(the chips are in the sockets in the correct direction; with the little
	dimples matching the socket indents)

	OOOOO   OOOOO           OOOOO   OOOOO    O -- empty sockets
			2 megs                   X -- 256 X 4 memory chips
	OOOOO   OOOOO           OOOOO   OOOOO

	OOOOO   OOOOO   1 meg   OOOOO   OOOOO

	XXXXX   XXXXX   512 k   XXXXX   XXXXX

So my guess is it is the infamous PAL grounding problem.

Thanks to all the people who responded to my plea for help!
(I've tried to get mail back to everyone.)

Jason