[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Agnus chip number -- did I get ripped off?

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (09/09/90)

I just bought a new (I think) Agnus chip from a local store.
I cut J500 and moved J101 to the left two pins (looking at
the connector from the front of the amiga) and inserted the
new Agnus.

DigiPaint and DigiView both die (looks like I forgot to run
NoFastMem on a program that needs it).  avail shows it all
as chip ram (with 0 fast ram).

I think they sold me a bogus Agnus. (The guy didn't even have
a container for it, he just held it in his hand.  I had
to argue to get some foam to carry it in.)

The label on the "new" Agnus chip:
   MOS
   8370
   2687 23

The label on my original Agnus chip:
    MOS
    8370
    3587 23

Please reply by email if you know anything that will help.  If they
sold me a bogus/broken chip, I'm going to raise some major hell.

At the time of the purchase, there were two Amiga stores in the
greater Houston area, both owned by the same company.  I had
to drive 45 minutes on the Interstate to get to this place.  They're
going to pay for my gas and time if I have to go down and swap them
chips...

(A day after I bought the chip, an Amiga store opened up only
a 15 min walk or a 2 minute drive from my house.  That's life,
I guess. :-)
--
J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet@uh.edu

In article <1990Sep9.005554.231@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>I think they sold me a bogus Agnus. (The guy didn't even have
>a container for it, he just held it in his hand.  I had
>to argue to get some foam to carry it in.)

Yep, it appears that I got sold a bogus 1MegAgnus.
I bought it from MicroSearch (Clear Lake location).  Given their
past track record with friends of mine, I'm beginning to doubt that I'll
get either a refund or a real 1MegAgnus.  I wouldn't be surprised
if they accused me of bringing them my old 512K Agnus and trying to
pass it off as what they sold me.

Any suggestions?  (Besides ranking on their store any chance I get?)
--
J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet@uh.edu
Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Skate UNIX(r)

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (09/10/90)

You got ripped off.

Your new chip should be an 8372 numbered chip.

-- Bob
______ Pro-Graphics BBS  `It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!' ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil      |       America Online: Graphics3d
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |           CompuServe: RIP
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854