[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Can I Speed Up a 25Mhz 030 Board?

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (08/28/90)

I am posting this for a friend, but please respond directly to me. I will
give him this info.

He has a 2500/030 running at 25Mhz and has heard about the faster 33MHZ and
50 Mhz accelerators available now. Is it possible to speed up his current
card by maybe just replacing some of the chips or would he have to do a
complete upgrade by buying one of the new GVP cards and selling his current one?

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Real Amigas have keyboard garages) Meyer) (08/29/90)

In article <14733@venera.isi.edu> schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
   He has a 2500/030 running at 25Mhz and has heard about the faster 33MHZ and
   50 Mhz accelerators available now. Is it possible to speed up his current
   card by maybe just replacing some of the chips or would he have to do a
   complete upgrade by buying one of the new GVP cards and selling his current
   one?

GVP has an upgrade offer on to take _any_ accellerator card in trade
for a GVP 3001, so your friend doesn't _have_ to sell his. If he's got
a GVP card, he ought to be able to send it to GVP to upgrade to the higher
clock speed for the price differrence between the boards. At least, that's
what the promised me when I was looking into accelerators.

	<mike
--
The Sword of Damocles is hanging over my head			Mike Meyer
And I've got a feeling someone's gonna be cuttin' the thread	decwrl!mwm

danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann) (09/07/90)

                In the September 1990 of Amazing Amiga Computing magazine it
explains that you can increase your 25MHz Commodore 68030 board by replacing
the 4 pin 25Mhz Crystal with a 28-29MHz crystal no problem and there should be
a noticeable speed difference of about 10%, so you'll be running a 28MHz 68030
rather than a 25MHz 68030.  Gee, I'm still running a stock 68000.

<LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (09/08/90)

In article <4278@crash.cts.com>, danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann)
says:

>                In the September 1990 of Amazing Amiga Computing magazine it
>explains that you can increase your 25MHz Commodore 68030 board by replacing
>the 4 pin 25Mhz Crystal with a 28-29MHz crystal no problem and there should be
>a noticeable speed difference of about 10%, so you'll be running a 28MHz 68030

Unless you are doing heavy duty CPU bound stuff all in FAST ram or cache, you
won't get all the 10%.  The 10 % is the upper limit.  If the CPU have to do any
chip ram access, it'll have to slow down...  In general, it is hard to notice
any speed increase of 10%.

The max speed you'll every get is 10% or so.  Whether or note you can actually
feel it is another question.  I personally won't notice it.  You pay for that
additional 10% of performance by risking reliability (timing, noise, heat etc)

>rather than a 25MHz 68030.  Gee, I'm still running a stock 68000.

I am running a 18.4MHz 020 Lucas/Frances.  I don't notice the speed gain (40%
without 32-bit ram) at all.  (with 32-bit ram, it runs at 4.6X speed  <- that  )
I can tell)

K. C. Lee
Elec. Eng. Grad. Student

In article <4278@crash.cts.com> danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann) writes:

>                In the September 1990 of Amazing Amiga Computing magazine it
>explains that you can increase your 25MHz Commodore 68030 board by replacing
>the 4 pin 25Mhz Crystal with a 28-29MHz crystal no problem

They're counting on a considerable amount of luck here.  Most designs, the
A2630 included, have a bit of design margin; they're at the least designed
to work at worst case, where the temperature is a hot as it gets and all chips
are as slow as they get.  So it stands to reason that, when you're not going
at worst case, you might go faster.  Not every IC is going to be at its
slowest possible timing, and you're rarely running at the full 40C ambient
temperature.  Going to a faster clock speed will most likely produce a number
of machines that just plain fail at room temperature, the majority which will
probably fail when they get too warm, and a couple which will work 100%
throughout the temperature range.

It's not even quite as nice as that, though.  The 68030, for instance, is
only rated at 25MHz.  When you feed it a faster clock, it can start behaving
out of spec, which can further stress the speed of the system.  This clock
mod is a do-at-your-own-risk kind of thing, of course, but even still, I
wouldn't recommend it.

I may eventually come out with a safer A2630 speedup modification, since so
many folks keep asking about it.  But such a speedup, done correctly, will
cost much more.

      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!