[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] UnInterruptable Power Supply

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (09/08/90)

        In a way, this post belongs in comp.sys.amiga.electronics-gurus.
Since we don't have one, I'll settle for here.   I've been planning on
making a backup power supply for my Amiga 2000.  I have a fair amount of
expansion so my power requirements are not light.  I might say that I run a
little over 150 out of 200 watts (although I haven't added it up).  The
simplest system I first thought of is to eliminate the worry about
switching by always running power throught the DC/AC converter.  Assuming I
use a car battery as my battery, this means that the battery would always
be on charge (trickle) and the charger would then supply all power for the
computer when it's on.  When the power goes off, the charger is simply
offline and the battery continues to run the computer.

        As I said earlier, I use a fair bit of power so the DC/AC convertor
would have to be built to rediculous specifications.  I circuit would have
to alternate about 20 to 30 amps (depending on what is on) at 60 Hz and
then step it up with a transformer.  I then though of tapping into the DC
side of the power supply ONLY WHEN AC ISN'T ON, somehow.  This would let me
feed in 12VDC straight.  The power supply SHOULD (this is one of my
questions) have regulators to ensure proper voltage.  (I would try to apply
this power before the system regulators).  I would then only have to build
an AC convertor to power my monitor.

        I'm looking for suggestions for different ways to wire this system,
information on the workings of the power supply, any success and failure
stories, which design is most practical, fast ways of switching (if I have
to), would a capacitor in the computer cover-up switching time (I assume a
very large one would, and any other general suggestions.

        Thanks in advance...

 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000/10--2400 bps--AmigaUUCP 1.03D
 lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca  or  ....!{uunet}!watmath!xenitec!lemsys!clemon

<LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (09/08/90)

I hope you are not going to build the UPS by yourself.  It is something
that protect you rather than another part of a system that costs failure.
(ie. you want to use something that is proven, not to to hardware alpha
testing/debugging with your own computer)  There are a lot of design
decisions/trade-offs that has to be made.  This is not a weekend project.

You might want to look some of the newer UPS systems for the PC.  There is
one that have a built-in battery backed/recharging system that is built into
the power supply.

I would think it is much easier to design a backup power system that supply
the DC voltages rather the going through an DC->AC convertion.  Power MOSFET
are easy to control and quite good at switching high currents at a moment's
notice. AS for the monitor, you'll have to get a UPS or look for one that uses
12V DC.

If you need more help, post to sci.electronics next door. :)

K. C. Lee
Elec. Eng. Gr ad. Student: Power Option ;(

One thought:  drawing that much power, you might want to consider
one (or several) 24 volt truck/marine batteries rather than A 12 volt
auto battery.  The truck batteries are bigger and more rugged (I used
to backpack them up mountains to power temporary radio transmitters),
and would probably be cheaper in the long run, as well as taking less
of a hit from surge power requirements.

Kent, the man from xanth.

brianr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian E Rhodefer) (09/09/90)

In article <02284.AA02284@lemsys.UUCP> clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) writes:
>        As I said earlier, I use a fair bit of power so the DC/AC convertor
>would have to be built to rediculous specifications.  I circuit would have
>to alternate about 20 to 30 amps (depending on what is on) at 60 Hz and
>then step it up with a transformer.  I then though of tapping into the DC
>side of the power supply ONLY WHEN AC ISN'T ON, somehow.  This would let me
>feed in 12VDC straight.  The power supply SHOULD (this is one of my
>questions) have regulators to ensure proper voltage.  (I would try to apply
>this power before the system regulators).  I would then only have to build
>an AC convertor to power my monitor.

My A500/A2000 Tech Reference manual doesn't cover the power supply, but
the Amiga's "unregulated DC" power supply is almost certain to be at quite
a high voltage - 250 to 300V, I'd expect.  Switching power supplies like
the Amiga's  are most efficient in high input voltage situations (High
voltage power FETS are cheaper than high-current ones at equivalent
controlled-power levels, transformer windings are smaller, and input
energy-storage caps are smaller).

The 250V is usually produced by running the AC line power into either
a voltage-doubler (for 110VAC operation), or a simple rectifier/capacitor
filter (for 220VAC).  It's very easy to jumper-configure a voltage doubler
versus fullwave bridge selection, so the power supply is comfortable pretty
nearly anywhere in the world; the only difficulty would be its fan, which
would have to be matched to the line voltage, unless it's DC powered.

Anyway, the DC/DC switching converter/regulator probably generates
its multiple output voltages (+/- 12V, +5V) with multiple windings
on its converter transformer.  Typically, the 5V winding's output is
used as the feedback signal to the switching converter, and the
"+/- 12V" supplies either fall where they may, or the switcher generates
slightly higher voltages and then uses a linear post-regulator.
In any case, I don't expect you'll be able to find anywhere in the
standard Amiga power supply to feed 12VDC in directly.

If you want to run the Amiga from 12V, I think your best shot would be
to do the reverse of what the Amiga's supply does:  use a high-frequency,
high-efficiency DC/DC converter to generate a 150VDC, reasonably regulated
output at the requisite 2-3A, and then use some high-voltage power FETS
to chop this into a 300Vpk-pk 60Hz pulsetrain.

The reason for such a high voltage is that the power supplies in the bulk
of electronic equipment generate their unregulated DC power using simple
capacitor-input filters, which "peak detect" the AC voltage fed into
their rectifiers.  So, they're counting on seeing a peak line voltage of
SQRT(2) times the RMS value.  You can't just go applying a squarewave of
that amplitude to the equipment, though, because it MAY also have transformers
in it, whose primaries would then see much larger volt-time integrals than
the sinewaves they were designed for would provide.  Their primaries would
very likely saturate.

You could combat this by goosing the frequency up to 85Hz, but the equipment
might be deriving timing from its supply.  Besides, resistive loads powered
by such a UPS would overdissipate by 42%.

You could be really fanatic and try to synthesize a sinewave, but I don't
think there's any need to.  All that should be necessary is to come up
with a waveshape that has the requisite peak voltage of 150V, and yet
an RMS value of only 120V.  Recalling that the RMS value of a square
pulsetrain is given by the amplitude of the pulses divided by the square
root of their duty factor, we can quickly calculate that a 150V, 50%, 60Hz
pulsetrain ought to do nicely, and be quite easy to synthesize with simple
switching elements:

+150      _____
 0V   ___/     \_____      ____
-150                 \____/

In fact, the supplies in both the monitor and the Amiga should prefer
such a source, as long as the edge speeds are tamed just a little (I'd
put a little damped (resistor in parallel) inductor in series with
your "60Hz" power).  The right values will help ease life for the chopping
transistors, as well, by allowing them to switch fully ON at low-current.
If you use a full H-bridge chopper (four FETs), you have the opportunity
of cleverly cycling the gate drives of the four transistors so that one
pair of transistors handles the turn-ON transients, looking into a series
inductor, and the other pair handles the turn-OFF transients, leaning
into a capacitor.

All this fanciness results from trying to compensate for output-voltage
variation in the storage battery (Don't automotive supplies vary between
11 and 14V depending on the battery's charge and load?).  If the battery
voltage is more stable than this, a person might be able to get away with
simply chopping the battery into a step-up transformer at a high enough
multiple of 60Hz to minimize the transformer's size, and then using
synchronous rectification techniques to down-convert the stepped-up

Of course, if you can get yourself a big enough 12V-120V stepup transformer,
you can do the chopping directly.

>        I'm looking for suggestions for different ways to wire this system,
>information on the workings of the power supply, any success and failure
>stories, which design is most practical, fast ways of switching (if I have
>to), would a capacitor in the computer cover-up switching time (I assume a
>very large one would, and any other general suggestions.

A larger stack of batteries might be worth considering.  If you had 150V
worth of batteries, you could get away with very little magnetics; you'd
only need a couple snubber inductors.  And, at 150V, the current drain would
be down below 4A, meaning that you could probably use quite small cells -
maybe even those D-cell-sized gell cells.

I, too, have always wondered why UPSes don't continually operate from battery,
and use the line power to constantly charge.  I can only come up with two
guesses:

1) UPS designers are daunted by the prospect of a charging circuit capable
   of supplying a shade over the full-load current requirement for the system
   going amok and stuffing that much current into the battery *when the load
   is off*.  I grant that that's a concern, but I think it ought to be fairly
   easy to sense the net current into the battery, and regulate it to the
   "trickle charge" value.

2) People worry about the accuracy of the oscillator that generates the
   simulated 60Hz.  This one's simple:  Phase-lock the rascal to the line,
   as long as the line is hot.

Brian Rhodefer

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (09/10/90)

In article <6921@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> brianr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM
(Brian E Rhodefer) writes:

>I, too, have always wondered why UPSes don't continually operate from battery,
>and use the line power to constantly charge.

     I have heard of UPSes which run continuously, and enjoy the
advantage of zero switch-over time.  But the inverter in a switching
UPS only has to run for the 20 minutes or so that the batteries last,
rather than continuously, so the components can be smaller, lighter,
and cheaper.  It'll run cooler, too (at least until the power goes
out :-).

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
Intel puts the "backward" in "backward compatible."

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (09/12/90)

        I am the original author of the UPS post and just wanted to add
another comment.   This UPS is also supposed to be inexpensive.  I don't
want to spend $1K on a UPS just in case I ever need it.  I have the car
battery so that should be the major expense already taken care of.  The
rest of the assembly should be simply a good design, good workmanship and
any support parts needed.  If I need to run a high current converter then
the parts will not be so cheap.  I realize that fact.