[net.space] Matter/Antimatter drive

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:AC@MIT-OZ (05/30/85)

From: Anthony J. Courtemanche <AC%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>

On the last episode of PBS's Space Flight last night, some futurist
said that in order to make a resonable flight to another star, we
would need the technology for a matter/anitmatter drive, which I think
he indicated would be available within the next 100 to 200 years.
Could someone who understands particle physics please explain what the
idea is behind a matter/antimatter drive.  Specifically, what does it
take to make the antimatter and how would one turn the energy from a
matter/anitmatter explosion into thrust?

Do you need Scotty to channel the power through Dilithium crystals?

--Anthony J. Courtemanche
ac%mit-oz@mit-mc.arpa
-------

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:mcgeer%ucbkim@Berkeley (05/30/85)

From: Rick McGeer <mcgeer%ucbkim@Berkeley>

	A collision of a particle with its antiparticle (say an electron with
a positron) produces two photons, with energy equal to the relativistic
kinetic energy of the particles, travelling on vectors normal to the vectors
of the particles.

	Thrust comes from the light pressure of the photons.

	As for manufacturing antimatter, we do it *now*.  Positron Emission
Tomography (PET) works by shooting positrons and electrons into the material
you want to photograph.

						Rick.

john@x.UUCP (John Woods) (06/01/85)

> From: Anthony J. Courtemanche <AC%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>
> On the last episode of PBS's Space Flight last night, some futurist
							[ O'Neill, I think ]
> said that in order to make a resonable flight to another star, we
> would need the technology for a matter/anitmatter drive, which I think
> he indicated would be available within the next 100 to 200 years.
> Could someone who understands particle physics please explain what the
> idea is behind a matter/antimatter drive.  Specifically, what does it
> take to make the antimatter and how would one turn the energy from a
> matter/anitmatter explosion into thrust?

To make antimatter, the current technology is to bash high-speed particles
(protons are popular) into a target, which creates "lots" of particle--anti-
particle pairs, some of which are separated by magnets (before they
recombine).  These can be stored (currently) in vacuum chambers with huge
magnets of appropriate configurations (i.e., particle accelerator storage
rings).  SUMMARY -- right now, antimatter is tough to mass produce.

To use antimatter, once you have it (and have it bottled appropriately in
magnetic fields), one idea proposed has been to eject small bits of frozen
anti-hydrogen (relatively easy to make given quantities of anti-electrons
and anti-protons) into a reaction chamber filled with water.  The anti-matter
reacts with matter to form quite a bit of energy, much of which is transferred
to the surrounding water -- which boils instantly, creating pressure that
exits out the nozzle, and voila! a rocket.

The ideas are quite simple.  The engineering may be a tad tough...
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

"MU" said the Sacred Chao...

> Could someone who understands particle physics please explain what the
> idea is behind a matter/antimatter drive.  Specifically, what does it
> take to make the antimatter...

Existing particle accelerators can make antimatter, albeit at hideously
low efficiencies.  High-energy physicists are, I believe, doing some work
with antiproton beams; the technique is to isolate antiprotons from the
debris produced when a proton beam hits a target, and then accumulate
them in a storage ring until you've got enough to be useful.  Decelerating
them to lower velocities is not hard.  "Cooling" them -- removing the
random component of their velocities -- is harder but the physicists
already have adequate answers for this.  Bringing them to a full stop
has never been done, but presents no serious problems.  Combining them
with positrons to make anti-hydrogen is easy.  Handling the result is
tricky, but there are enough different ideas about how to do it that
the problem should be solvable.

The major hassle remains inefficient production, largely because the
existing accelerators were not designed as antimatter factories.  Dr.
Robert Forward (senior scientist at Hughes, and advanced-propulsion
consultant to the USAF) says that there appears to be no major obstacle
to getting the efficiency up quite a bit from where it is now, if one
assumes a large dedicated facility.

> ...and how would one turn the energy from a
> matter/anitmatter explosion into thrust?

Positron plus electron equals gamma rays, ugh.  Fortunately, proton plus
antiproton isn't that simple.  First you get both neutral and charged
pions.  The neutral pions are impossible to do anything with, both because
they lack charge and because their life is very short.  The charged pions
are a different story; much of the energy of the proton-antiproton reaction
comes out as their kinetic energy.  Their lifetime is sufficient that they
travel several meters.  Since they are charged, they can be bullied about
with magnetic fields.  So one can build a magnetic nozzle that will get
them going rearward.  When they decay, the major product is muons.  These
too are charged, and their lifetime equals a kilometer or so of motion.
So if the charged pions are too much of a problem, you can use a magnetic
nozzle on the muons instead.  You lose some energy in the pion decay, but
it's still workable.  Either way you get an exhaust of charged particles
at very close to the speed of light, plus a spray of gamma rays and other
ugly things that one would rather live without...

In practice, there is a problem with this.  The exhaust velocity is pretty
high, but the thrust will probably be low because the gamma rays and other
uncharged trash will limit the annihilation rate -- too much radiation and
the coils that produce the magnetic nozzle will absorb enough to melt.  For
many purposes, it is probably better to use the matter-antimatter reaction
to heat something else, probably hydrogen.  The exhaust velocity will be
lower, hence you get less ship velocity for a given amount of fuel, but
the thrust will be much higher and hence the engine will be more useful.

There's a whole range of tradeoffs.  For interplanetary work, lower exhaust
velocities will be plenty and the higher thrust will speed things up
considerably.  For interstellar rockets, you want the highest possible
exhaust velocity, within the restriction that the acceleration time
shouldn't be too ridiculously long.  And if you want a really sexy
interstellar drive, consider using antimatter to heat the gas gathered
in by a Bussard ramscoop...

> On the last episode of PBS's Space Flight last night, some futurist
> said that in order to make a resonable flight to another star, we
> would need the technology for a matter/anitmatter drive,

There are other ways, but antimatter may well be the most promising.

> which I think
> he indicated would be available within the next 100 to 200 years.

Forward says that existing technology is probably good enough to make
antimatter cost-competitive for in-space propulsion.  (Remember that the
current alternative is lifting large quantities of liquid hydrogen and
oxygen from the ground, which is expensive.)  If he's right -- and he's
a professional in this area -- it's probably going to happen a lot sooner
than "100 to 200 years".
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology