[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Weird Hard Drive Problem...

zeke@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Eric SHAMASH) (09/10/90)

I am having some strange problems with my Xetec FastTrack hardware.
First, here are the system details:
	- Amiga 500 w/ clock 1 Meg, Fatter Agnus,
	  external DF0: drive and detached A2000 keyboard.
	- Xetec FastTrack hardware w/ 2 Meg and 40 Meg Quantum drive.

I brought in my A500 to have Fatter Agnus installed, and everything worked
fine for one day.  I never turn off any hardware (except for the 2080), so
the next day I found that the system had GURUed overnight.

Warmstart brought back the GURU, and coldstarts had the same effect,
though once I saw a flash of green.

The drive would barely spin before the GURU messages would pop up.  Sometimes
I would get the "Task Held" message on a messy half workbenck, half GURU
screen.  I unplugged the Xetec host adaptor from the A500's side, and
everything worked normally (1 Meg of chip ram).

My system is not configured to autoboot, so I don't think that it has
anything to do with the hard drive itself.

I know the Xetec hardware is getting power since I can hear the fan.

It seems strange that the Xetec hardware would just go dead overnight.
I have had no previous problems with Xetec, and have always found their
products to be reliable.

Could the problem be a blown fuse?  Could it be a problem with the hard drive
even though the problem occurs before the drive becomes active?  Is the
problem being cause by the 2 Meg of fast ram?  Has anyone had similar
problems with their systems?  It's by far the fastest GURU I've ever seen
(1 second after power up...)

If anyone can shed any light on this strange problem, I would greatly
appreciate it.

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) (09/13/90)

In article <3941@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca>, zeke@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Eric SHAMASH) writes:
> I am having some strange problems with my Xetec FastTrack hardware.
> First, here are the system details:
> 	- Amiga 500 w/ clock 1 Meg, Fatter Agnus,
> 	  external DF0: drive and detached A2000 keyboard.
> 	- Xetec FastTrack hardware w/ 2 Meg and 40 Meg Quantum drive.
>
> I brought in my A500 to have Fatter Agnus installed, and everything worked

Funny thing... I'm having the same problem with my A500/Xetec combo.  IT works
fine on a machine without the fatter agnus, but change the chip, and..

 => GURU City <=

It seems to GURU on writes but not on reads.  Strange, so I backed up my
data and switched the Q105s on the FastTrak to the FastCard in my A2000.
Amazingly enough, all the data on the drive is intact, I use the FastCard
Plus with the Fatter Agnus with no problems.  And all partitions, data
etc. are retrieved intact.  :-)

Any comments, suggestions, etc.?

Ruze