[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 68040

pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com (Pierre Altamore) (09/12/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware

On 5 Sep 90 14:04:56 GMT, mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) writes:

>Excuse me but why do you have to have 68040 in your machine when most of
>people are quite happy with 68000. Especially if you allready have A3000.
>What to do you with more speed? Compared to price you pay for it (68040
$800).
>Just my $0.02.

It's painfully obvious that you've never done any sort of 3d rendering and
animation with your 'adequate' 68000.  Can you imagine waiting 27 hours
for your 68000 to render a SINGLE HAM IMAGE?  I can and did, it's sucks.
Now imagine a 180 frame animation with each image taking 27 hours (no, this
I didn't do).  That'd be 4860 hours or 202.5 days, for a lousy HAM
animation.  Now imagine trying that with 24-bit turned on, AHHH!  At least
with a fast (50MHz GVP) 68030 this can be made somewhat manageable.
Assuming GVP's claimed 22x speedup is accurate the above animation could
be finished in 220 hours or 9 days.  Much more reasonable.  A 25MHz 68040
would reduce this even more, perhaps even halving it.  'Most People' aren't
computer animators, and the Amiga has a large group of non-most people
users.

btw - I was the infamously slow Sculpt.

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!pierre      |   Critical Mass Software
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!pierre@nosc.mil   |   P.O. Box 23
Internet: pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com    |   Short Hills, NJ 07078

sokay@richard.mitre.org (Steve Okay) (09/13/90)

>On 5 Sep 90 14:04:56 GMT, mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) writes:
>
>>Excuse me but why do you have to have 68040 in your machine when most of
>>people are quite happy with 68000. Especially if you allready have A3000.
>>What to do you with more speed? Compared to price you pay for it (68040
>$800).
>>Just my $0.02.
>
>It's painfully obvious that you've never done any sort of 3d rendering and
>animation with your 'adequate' 68000.  Can you imagine waiting 27 hours
>for your 68000 to render a SINGLE HAM IMAGE?  I can and did, it's sucks.

I can!!!...I'm quite used to 27 hour(or longer) waits just to finish a
Hi-Res ANIM in Sculpt or a single HAM frame in Turbo Silver. This is
mitigated somewhat by the fact that I'm not home for a good 15-18 hours
of the day, so I'm only *REALLY* giving up Ami for a few hours in the
evening. And when I say give up, I mean it.  The machine is so bogged during
rendering that it takes 20 seconds or so just to get a response to an "info"
or "dir". And forget even running another task. There are so few cycles left
that once you've waited 5 minutes for the program to come up, it most likely
won't recognize any menu selections or operations. I had to house sit for a
few friends for a week a while back and my initial response to being sans
computer for 5 days was "Great!...this'll give me a chance to get a Full-Screen
version of the Fantek ANIM done!"(130-odd frames in Photo mode in Sculpt 4D).

A 68000 is the quickest way to kill any interest you might have in doing decent
Ray Tracing or 3D Animation. I have been tempted to give up a number of times
out of frustration at waiting, but have still managed to hang in there.

>    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!pierre      |   Critical Mass Software
>ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!pierre@nosc.mil   |   P.O. Box 23
>Internet: pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com    |   Short Hills, NJ 07078

-------------
Stephen Okay          Technical Aide, The MITRE Corporation
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG

&#^$%@&#^%$ Please pardon our line-noise while we change our
~~~WEQ#KHF# .sig to better serve you #$&R@$&$#DGYGEDJHGDSDJHE

Disclaimer:I get *MYSELF* in enough trouble with my opinions,
           Why inflict them on MITRE?

John.Matthews@comp.vuw.ac.nz (John Matthews) (09/13/90)

One thing I've always found with amiga ray-tracers is they bog down the system.
This is not their fault, however, as the Amiga's priority system is not
in general usage.
What I usually do is either change the priority of the CLI before
starting the raytracer to priority -2, or call up Xoper (on hot key from
popcli) and do the same, so instead of contending with every other user
program, it just eats up idle cycles.

John Matthews
Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand

milamber@engin.umich.edu (09/14/90)

>evening. And when I say give up, I mean it.  The machine is so bogged during
>rendering that it takes 20 seconds or so just to get a response to an "info"
>or "dir". And forget even running another task. There are so few cycles left
>
>-------------
>Stephen Okay          Technical Aide, The MITRE Corporation
>OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG

Why not try what I do?  After you get the ray-tracing started, go in with
something like Gizmoz's SetPriority, and decrease your 3d program's pri-
ority to -1 .  Then you can use your Amiga if you really want to, and it
will still be tracing away during all that time between keystrokes, or
when it's waiting for your slow, organic eyes to read something..
Of course, the more you steal time slices from the tracer, the longer your
image will take.  But Commodore went to all the trouble of providing you
this preemptive multitasking enviroment!

- Daryl Cantrell, milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu