[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 8*24/Toast

pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com (Pierre Altamore) (09/12/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware

On 8/9/90 21:59:21 GMT amc4919@cec2.wustl.edu (Adam Michael Costello):

>What exactly is a frame buffer?

It's basically a memory card designed to hold and display large (24-bit in
the case of the Toaster and Mac 8*24 GC) images.  They may or may not
contain graphics processors to speed up display and manipulation.

>What would you call a card that gave you the same capabilities as the
>on-board chip set, but with 24 bits per pixel?

A miracle!  (or an Iris)

>What are the capabilities of the 8*24 GC video card for the Mac (which will
>list at just under $2000 when it's released), and what is or will soon be
>available for the Amiga which can compete with (or beat) it?

While I haven't seen ToasterPaint or LightWave, if they are anything like
the DVE software for the Toaster they will kick serious 24-bit butt.  The
Toaster competes and easily beats the 8*24 in terms of features for the
price.  The Toaster gives you TWO 24-bit frame buffers, a broadcast
genlock, 7 channel video switcher, 24-bit character generator AND great DVE
(Digital Video Effects).  All this for $1600

The 8*24 is a different animal.  It has an onboard 30MHz Am29000 RISC
processor for speeding up Mac SlowDraw.  Expandable RAM for 'other graphics
techniques' (haven't been able to translate this to english.. hehe).
Anyway, it's basically (supposed to be) a fast 24-bit card since Mac 24-bit
has been know to be quite slow.  All(?) this for $2000 (so say you), not a
bargin to say the least.

I don't know how the Toaster compares as far as update speed, etc..  But
I do know (and have seen) the Toaster load a 24-bit image in 3 seconds
from a hard drive and 1/5 sec. from RAM (I didn't measure the speed, but
it loads 24-bit images FAST).

>I've overextended myself by buying an A3000 (which should be arriving in
>1-4 weeks), and it will be a while before I can afford any add-ons anyway,
>but I'm curious and tend to shop far in advance (I chose the 3000 2 years
>ago!)
>Thanks!

Save up your bread for a Toaster!

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!pierre      |   Critical Mass Software
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!pierre@nosc.mil   |   P.O. Box 23
Internet: pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com    |   Short Hills, NJ 07078

lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (09/13/90)

In article <4373@crash.cts.com> pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com (Pierre Altamore) writes:

>On 8/9/90 21:59:21 GMT amc4919@cec2.wustl.edu (Adam Michael Costello):
>>What would you call a card that gave you the same capabilities as the
>>on-board chip set, but with 24 bits per pixel?
>
>A miracle!  (or an Iris)

That's what they called the custom chip set when it came out, so it wouldn't
be TOO out of place.  (I sure wouldn't mind :-) :-) )

>    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!pierre      |   Critical Mass Software
>ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!pierre@nosc.mil   |   P.O. Box 23
>Internet: pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com    |   Short Hills, NJ 07078

"The beauty queen, clevely clad,                    Logan Shaw
 admires herself in a cigarette ad.                 lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
 Will she admit that all was in vain                ========================
 when the face in her mirror cracks like a windowpane?"
              -Elim Hall, _Things_Break_

dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (09/13/90)

In article <4373@crash.cts.com>, pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com (Pierre Altamore) writes:
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
>
> While I haven't seen ToasterPaint or LightWave, if they are anything like
> the DVE software for the Toaster they will kick serious 24-bit butt.  The
> Toaster competes and easily beats the 8*24 in terms of features for the
> price.  The Toaster gives you TWO 24-bit frame buffers, a broadcast
> genlock, 7 channel video switcher, 24-bit character generator AND great DVE
> (Digital Video Effects).  All this for $1600
>
> Save up your bread for a Toaster!

Yeah, the Toaster is way cool.  I'm an inveterate tinkerer and a quality
genlock, video capture, 24-bit frame buffer at a price for these various
items bought separately with lots of other neat stuff thrown in for free
seemed exceedingly attractive.  Be aware, however, it seems that the
toaster won't lock on to even a single video tape source unless it has
been run through a TBC (time base corrector  > $1000).  Apparently
single video disk players or real time camera input are stable enough
for it to lock onto.  Multiple sources of any kind must be TBC'd.  While
these requirements ensure quality results, as capturing from or genlocking
to a single video tape source is something I would want to do this boosts
the price considerably.

David Albrecht

dak@pro-graphics.cts.com (DAK Productions) (09/17/90)

I think I've heard just enuf warnings about the Toaster needing a TBC if you
want to roll tape through it. If you aren't using a VCR that has stable enough
sync. for the Toaster to lock on to (Even a low end INDUSTRIAL< VCR should do
it) then you shouldn't waste your money on a TBC to begin with! Better put the
money towards a better VCR that WILL be more stable. Cheeze, whatya guys
want!? .... That board is worth the dough for any ONE of the things it does
well. Just a 24bit board for a MAC or IBM will cost you more then the Toaster.
And just what kind of a TBC do you think you're gonna get for a grand anyway?

Yeah, I'm a professional, and the equipment we use is very expensive compared
to consumer stuff, but I just don't understand why everyone feels that $ 1600
is so much to pay for the equivalent of: A video SEG (switcher) street price
for this as a stand alone is atleast $ 2000, A 24bit board (with TWO BUFFERS!)
for freeze frames and 3D/Paint output again you gotta be talking $1500 ALONE.
Then there's the Character Generator, CG, again a comprable stand alone unit

$2500-$3500  Chyron VP-1. When you include the bundled software, what does
Sculpt 4D or Calagari Broadcast go for these days and the 2D paint, well will
hold on that one for now. But my point is that for any ONE of those reasons
the Toaster is an incredible device and certainly worth the cost.

No, in will not do EVERTHING for you but try doing the same things on an Amiga
and what device(S) will you need and at what cost? Flame all you want, this
board will probably sell more Amigas to low end through hi end users than
would have even given the machne a second thought if the Toaster didn't exist!
FLAME OFF