[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Hard disk interfaces

In <4411@crash.cts.com>, hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:
>  I have seen a 200  megbyte Conner drive with a IDE interface, for an IBM.
>I have never heard of this interface type.  Can this be made to connect to a
>SCSI port on a GVP controller or any AMiga SCSI controller for that matter?

IDE is a 'native IBM PC(lone) interface', having most of the controller/host
adapter functions on the motherboard of those machines.

It is not easily adapted to SCSI opreration, if at all.  It is a completely
different interface.  The only way to connect one of these, that I know of, is
with the GVP '030 board, or an A590, both of which have an IDE interface.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (09/15/90)

/

jmpor@dynam.UUCP (J-M Porchet) (09/15/90)

>In article <4411@crash.cts.com> hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:
>
>  I have seen a 200  megbyte Conner drive with a IDE interface, for an IBM.
>I have never heard of this interface type.  Can this be made to connect to a
>SCSI port on a GVP controller or any AMiga SCSI controller for that matter?
>
>/
No, but you can use it on a A590 or on a GVP accelerator.

IDE ist sometime called AT-INTERFACE.

I think it's a conner 209, if it's that there is also a SCSI version
of the HD

Best Regards,

  Jean-Marc PORCHET
  301, Mandement street         Organisation: Dynamic Computer
  CH-1281 Russin
  SWITZERLAND                   UUCP: cbmswi!dynam!jmpor

rbabel@babylon.UUCP (Ralph Babel) (09/16/90)

Anderson) writes:

>   I have seen a 200  megbyte Conner drive with a IDE interface, for an IBM.
> I have never heard of this interface type.  Can this be made to connect to a
> SCSI port on a GVP controller or any AMiga SCSI controller for that matter?

No, can't be connected to a SCSI host adapter directly, but
GVP's '030 accelerator boards have an AT (= IDE) interface
(might be considered a somewhat expensive hard disk
controller, though :-).

Ralph

In <Sep.16.21.11.03.1990.19140@dimacs.rutgers.edu>, srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) writes:

>Do I understand you correctly!  I can use an IDE interface hard disk
>with the A590????

The disk that comes with the A590 has an IDE interface. You cannot just plug an
IDE drive into the external connector, because that is a SCSI port.

-larry

--

srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) (09/17/90)

In article <1975@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

> In <4411@crash.cts.com>, hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:
> >  I have seen a 200  megbyte Conner drive with a IDE interface, for an IBM.
> >I have never heard of this interface type.  Can this be made to connect to a
> >SCSI port on a GVP controller or any AMiga SCSI controller for that matter?
>
> IDE is a 'native IBM PC(lone) interface', having most of the controller/host
> adapter functions on the motherboard of those machines.
>
> It is not easily adapted to SCSI opreration, if at all.  It is a completely
> different interface.  The only way to connect one of these, that I know of, is
> with the GVP '030 board, or an A590, both of which have an IDE interface.

I just recently took a visit with the owner of Panamax (I can't
remember the name off hand).  He has a product that will interface IBM
controller cards to the Amiga Bus (500/1000/2000/3000) seamlessly.
He's beenorking with the IDE drives but has found some variances
between them to make it difficult to apply the same driver to all IDE
drives.  For the benefit of finding a low cost HD solution for me I
loaned him my Conner 200MB drive w/IDE interface to work out a minor
problem he had with it while I was working with him.  The product he
offers as a whole appears to be very solid.  If anyone is interested
in the progress of my Conner with this interface E-mail me and I'll
post it along with the Spec Sheet for his controller...

srm
--

				Scott R. Myers

Snail:	26 Stiles Street			Phone:(201)882-3100
        Apartment 18
	Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Arpa:	srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu			Uucp: ..!dimacs!srm

		"... No matter where you go, there you are ..."

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (09/18/90)

In article <Sep.16.21.11.03.1990.19140@dimacs.rutgers.edu> srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) writes:
:In article <jmpor.3256@dynam.UUCP> jmpor@dynam.UUCP (J-M Porchet) writes:
:> >In article <4411@crash.cts.com> hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:
:> >  I have seen a 200  megbyte Conner drive with a IDE interface, for an IBM.
:> >I have never heard of this interface type.  Can this be made to connect to a
:> >SCSI port on a GVP controller or any AMiga SCSI controller for that matter?
:>
:> No, but you can use it on a A590 or on a GVP accelerator.
:>
:> IDE is sometimes called AT-INTERFACE.
:
:Do I understand you correctly!  I can use an IDE interface hard disk
:with the A590????

	The drive internally in the A590 is an IDE drive. To use a different
IDE drive, you have to replace the existing drive. Don't know how the software
would take that though...

:srm
:--
:				Scott R. Myers
:
:Snail:	26 Stiles Street			Phone:(201)882-3100
:        Apartment 18
:	Elizabeth, NJ 07201
:
:Arpa:	srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu			Uucp: ..!dimacs!srm
:
:		"... No matter where you go, there you are ..."

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes