[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] copy protection

rudolpe@urubu.CS.ORST.EDU (RUDOLPh ERIC) (09/19/90)

I was wondering how copy protection is done on commercial disks.
How are the following implemented AND/OR cracked?
1. Long tracks.
2. No sector header.
3. No sync mark.
4. Funny end of track gaps.
5. The infamous mangled MFM format and mangled bit pattern.

Can anyone tell me how to make a syncro express? I have some ideas, but
I am not sure if they are right.

gimme@solan1.solan.unit.no (Olav Gimmestad) (09/19/90)

In article <20351@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, rudolpe@urubu.CS.ORST.EDU (RUDOLPh ERIC) writes:
|> I was wondering how copy protection is done on commercial disks.
|> How are the following implemented AND/OR cracked?
|> 1. Long tracks.
|> 2. No sector header.
|> 3. No sync mark.
|> 4. Funny end of track gaps.
|> 5. The infamous mangled MFM format and mangled bit pattern.
|>
|> Can anyone tell me how to make a syncro express? I have some ideas, but
|> I am not sure if they are right.

Why make a syncro express, when it doesn't work?

				Olav Gimmestad

djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (09/20/90)

In article <20351@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> rudolpe@urubu.CS.ORST.EDU (RUDOLPh ERIC) writes:
>I was wondering how copy protection is done on commercial disks.
>How are the following implemented AND/OR cracked?
>1. Long tracks.
>2. No sector header.
>3. No sync mark.
>4. Funny end of track gaps.
>5. The infamous mangled MFM format and mangled bit pattern.
>
>Can anyone tell me how to make a syncro express? I have some ideas, but
>I am not sure if they are right.

This should really have been posted to comp.sys.amiga.tech.

Step # 1 can be recreated simply by adjusting your floppy's drive speed pot.
All the other steps are under your control when you perform a raw MFM write
(format) to the floppy.

Commercial copy machines are more flexible than standard floppy drives.
| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "This here's the wattle,             |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      It's the emblem of our land.        |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      You can put it in a bottle,         |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |      You can hold it in your hand."      |
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |