[net.space] Getting stuck in the middle of space

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC:hqm@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA (05/02/85)

From: Henry Minsky <hqm@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>

  This is something I have wondered about for a long time:  If you are
in the middle of a large air-filled room in zero-g, and you find
yourself with no velocity, is it possible to "swim" to one of the walls,
i.e., by flapping your arms, kicking your legs, waving your shirt...
  I know various s-f authors have speculated on this situation, but I
want to know if any of the astronauts really reported on this situation.

warner@orca.UUCP (Ken Warner) (05/05/85)

[BUGS]
I have often wondered if swim-fin like shoes would be effective.
Ken Warner

brent@phoenix.UUCP (Brent P. Callaghan) (05/06/85)

There's a very good book called "A House in Space" (sorry - can't
remember author/publisher) which describes the experiences of
the skylab crews.

The accounts of living in a weightless environment are quite
fascinating.  They had to be careful they didn't inhale small
object (nuts, bolts, erasers etc).  Most of us have witnessed
their space gymnastics performances and running around the
inside of the lab cylinder in self created "gravity".

In this book they describe the problem of drifting away
from handholds while engrossed in some activity.
They COULD swim back to the wall using a vigorous dog-paddle
technique.
--

Made in New Zealand -->		Brent Callaghan
				AT&T Information Systems, Lincroft, NJ

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (05/07/85)

How about blowing?

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb

@S1-A.ARPA:host.MIT-MC.ARPA (05/09/85)

From: JimDay.Pasa@Xerox.ARPA

Why not give each astronaut a beany hat equipped with a small propellor
and a windup motor?

polard@fortune.UUCP (Henry Polard) (05/10/85)

In article <1637@mordor.UUCP> @S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC:hqm@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA writes:
>From: Henry Minsky <hqm@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>
>

>  This is something I have wondered about for a long time:  If you are
>in the middle of a large air-filled room in zero-g, and you find
>yourself with no velocity, is it possible to "swim" to one of the walls,
>i.e., by flapping your arms, kicking your legs, waving your shirt...
I heard that the Challenger astronoauts could move around with a rapid
doggie-paddle swimming stroke.  I guess moving in air is somewhat like
moving in water.  You might also move yourself by blowing hard.

--
Henry Polard (You bring the flames - I'll bring the marshmallows.)
{ihnp4,cbosgd,amd}!fortune!polard

ee163ahj@sdcc13.UUCP (PAUL VAN DE GRAAF) (05/11/85)

[]
	Pardon me for suggesting, but couldn't the astronaut just relieve
himself (herself) in the opposite direction.  While this rather messy, and
certainly more embarassing than removing his shorts.  I'm sure it would be
effective, and if he's stuck there, the call to nature will come along soon
enough.  A bit faster and just as directional as blowing/whistling might be.

I'm sorry I brought it up...

Paul van de Graaf		sdcsvax!sdcc13!ee163ahj		U. C. San Diego

warner@orca.UUCP (Ken Warner) (05/11/85)

[BUGS]
A while back, I made a suggestion of little note regarding getting
caught with your velocity down. It was to arm each astronaut with
a spring loaded dart gun. The dart would have some sticky stuff on
the end and would trail a light weight line. It was proposed to
be used on EVA's in the event the jet pack failed. But here
is another chance to disregard the idea. :^>

Ken Warner

al@aurora.UUCP (Al Globus) (05/14/85)

This is a non-problem, unless the astronaut is exactly at the center of
mass of the space vehicle.  If the center of mass is at a different place
the astronaut will have a slightly different orbit around the Earth and
will eventually reach the side of the space ship.

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (05/15/85)

If one gets stuck in free-fall in an atmosphere, at least
Skylab's swimming technique should work.  Shuttle crew can
"easily" test other methods (including drifting to air
intake vents).

Getting stuck "motionless" in vacuum is another matter.  But
if one got stuck there by pushing another mass away, won't
the astronaut and the mass meet again in one orbit?  I'm sure
someone reading this knows with more certainty than I, but I
think the two orbits will cross.  I'm not as certain about
their being at the same place at the same time.
(Let's not bring up the shuttle satellite launches..the
shuttle uses rockets to move away from satellite, and
satellite motors [usually] also force them into other
orbits)

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (05/22/85)

In article <129@mecc.UUCP> sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) writes:

>Getting stuck "motionless" in vacuum is another matter.  But
>if one got stuck there by pushing another mass away, won't
>the astronaut and the mass meet again in one orbit?  I'm sure
>someone reading this knows with more certainty than I, but I
>think the two orbits will cross.

If the Astronaut threw a mass in exactly the same line of his orbit,
they would meet again eventually, but the Astronaut would be long dead
from lack of air.  Assuming the astronaut threw a 30 MPH pitch with the
mass, it would have to circumscribe a circle much larger than the
circumference of the earth, at a speed of 30 MPH. It would be more than
35 days before the object made it back around. If the course of the
object deviated from the "orbit line" in the slightest, the chances of
the two ever meeting again are, uh, astronomical.
--
-  Sean Casey				UUCP:	{cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
-  Department of Mathematics		ARPA:	ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (05/22/85)

In article <129@mecc.UUCP> sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) writes:
>Getting stuck "motionless" in vacuum is another matter.  But
>if one got stuck there by pushing another mass away, won't
>the astronaut and the mass meet again in one orbit?  I'm sure
>someone reading this knows with more certainty than I, but I
>think the two orbits will cross.   .....

Depend partly on what you mean by "crossing".

If the objects are not of equal mass, the lighter one will have a
greater velocity (conservation of momentum), and hence a lower orbit
since the radius of orbit is inversly proportional to the velocity.

This gets more complex with considerations of the angle, relative to
the direction of travel, etc.  leading to elliptical orbits, etc.
but will only apply as stated if both bodies have the same mass.

brent@phoenix.UUCP (Brent P. Callaghan) (05/23/85)

Al Globus writes:
> This is a non-problem, unless the astronaut is exactly at the center of
> mass of the space vehicle.  If the center of mass is at a different place
> the astronaut will have a slightly different orbit around the Earth and
> will eventually reach the side of the space ship.

Surely this depends on whether the spacecraft has earth synchronous
rotation or not.

A three axis stabilized spacecraft pointing its instruments at
various stellar objects does not rotate.  If the center of mass of
such a spacecraft is in a circular orbit, then points distributed
about this point will be in various elliptical orbits which maintain
a constant separation.

If we assume a polar or equatorial orbit, wouldn't the perturbations
be negligible ?
--

al@aurora.UUCP (Al Globus) (05/29/85)

> Getting stuck "motionless" in vacuum is another matter.  But
> if one got stuck there by pushing another mass away, won't
> the astronaut and the mass meet again in one orbit?

Not if the force is along the velocity vector, at least.  If you
push away a mass along the velocity vector one object will go
into a higher orbit and the other into a lower orbit.  If the
force is not along the velocity vector things get complex.

al@aurora.UUCP (Al Globus) (05/31/85)

> > Getting stuck "motionless" in vacuum is another matter.  But
> > if one got stuck there by pushing another mass away, won't
> > the astronaut and the mass meet again in one orbit?
>
> Not if the force is along the velocity vector, at least.  If you
> push away a mass along the velocity vector one object will go
> into a higher orbit and the other into a lower orbit.  If the
> force is not along the velocity vector things get complex.

Whoops!  After exactly one orbit you will meet up again, and will every
orbit until one party or the other is disturbed.  Sorry ....

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:Ghenis.pasa@Xerox.ARPA (06/03/85)

From: Ghenis.pasa@Xerox.ARPA

>>> Getting stuck "motionless" in vacuum is another matter.  But
>>> if one got stuck there by pushing another mass away, won't
>>> the astronaut and the mass meet again in one orbit?
>>
>> Not if the force is along the velocity vector, at least.  If you
>> push away a mass along the velocity vector one object will go
>> into a higher orbit and the other into a lower orbit.  If the
>> force is not along the velocity vector things get complex.
>
>Whoops!  After exactly one orbit you will meet up again, and will every
>orbit until one party or the other is disturbed.  Sorry ....

Whoops! Both objects will continue to pass through the point of
separation in each orbit, but they will not meet for a long time because
having different orbits they will have different orbital periods, hence
they won't return to that point AT THE SAME TIME after one orbit. Sorry