[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] B2000???

In <1990Sep13.155624.15807@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:
>Pardon me for my ignorance but I saw a few postings about an Amiga B2000.
>I always thought the Amiga line was A500,A2000,A3000. Is the B2000 a
>different version of the 2000? Someone please clarify this for me.

The genaeology of the Amiga:

A1000 - the classic

A2000 - what happens when CBM Germany gets to play with design.
        this was sold in Europe and Canada for a while before
        the US design was ready.

B2000 - the West Chester version of the A2000, known as the A2000.
        this is the only version ever sold to the general public in the US.

A3000 - the latest.

So... the '2000', in general terms, is the 'B' version, but is what you know as
the A2000. If you haven't owned an 'A'2000, the German version, consider
yourself fortunate.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) (09/13/90)

Pardon me for my ignorance but I saw a few postings about an Amiga B2000.
I always thought the Amiga line was A500,A2000,A3000. Is the B2000 a
different version of the 2000? Someone please clarify this for me.

                     Thanks
--
Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu    |  I'm not totally useless -
Integrated Library Systems        |  I can always serve as

In <2100@enea.se>, tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
>In article <1990Sep13.155624.15807@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:
>-Pardon me for my ignorance but I saw a few postings about an Amiga B2000.
>-I always thought the Amiga line was A500,A2000,A3000. Is the B2000 a
>-different version of the 2000? Someone please clarify this for me.
>-
>
>A2000 is the original, German-developed 2000. B2000 is the American remake,
>which is easily recognized by it's 3 RCA jacks instead of two (composite B/W
>video). It's main advantage is that it's upgradable (uses the chipset with
>Agnus, Paula, Denise...). A500's and B2000's do, A1000's and A2000's don't.

The other disadvantages of the A model 2000 were: Flaky, slow ram that used uo
the cproocessor slot, and inability to easily upgrade to 1 meg chip, and the
single socket video slot.

>I have a question there, myself: Is it possible to upgrade a B2000 to
>2 MB chipmem as in A3000? Any problems with other chip upgrades?

Can't do it without considerable hacking, if at all. Best bet is to replace the
motherboard with one that was not designed by elves in the Black Forest.

-larry

--

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.155624.15807@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:
-Pardon me for my ignorance but I saw a few postings about an Amiga B2000.
-I always thought the Amiga line was A500,A2000,A3000. Is the B2000 a
-different version of the 2000? Someone please clarify this for me.
-

A2000 is the original, German-developed 2000. B2000 is the American remake,
which is easily recognized by it's 3 RCA jacks instead of two (composite B/W
video). It's main advantage is that it's upgradable (uses the chipset with
Agnus, Paula, Denise...). A500's and B2000's do, A1000's and A2000's don't.

I have a question there, myself: Is it possible to upgrade a B2000 to
2 MB chipmem as in A3000? Any problems with other chip upgrades?

-                     Thanks
---
-Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu    |  I'm not totally useless -
-Integrated Library Systems        |  I can always serve as
-Case Western Reserve University   |  a bad example!
-Cleveland, Ohio                   |

Tommy Petersson

keith@actrix.co.nz (Keith Stewart) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.155624.15807@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:
> Pardon me for my ignorance but I saw a few postings about an Amiga B2000.
> I always thought the Amiga line was A500,A2000,A3000. Is the B2000 a
> different version of the 2000? Someone please clarify this for me.
>
>                      Thanks
> --
> Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu    |  I'm not totally useless -
> Integrated Library Systems        |  I can always serve as
> Case Western Reserve University   |  a bad example!
> Cleveland, Ohio                   |

The term B2000 is usually used by people from Europe, Australia, New Zealand
and Great Britain. The first 2000 to be sold was the West German designed
version which was essential a A1000 with slots. Same Angus as the 1000 and
512k on the motherboard with another 512k on a board in the coprocessor slot.
This version was apparently not sold in the USA. (lucky for you people!!) The
motherboard was version 4. When the American designed 2000 was made (It was a
better design) it was called in the afore mentioned countries B2000 to distinguish
 it from the original 2000 which was called the A2000.

Pioneers like myself who jumped in a bought the first 2000s ended up with a
2000 that turned out not to be the normal 2000. After much moaning at Commodore
about orphan machines I managed to resolve the problem at some cost. There
are still a few of these machines in use but they suffer from subtle hardware difference from the B2000s that make some software and hardware not work on them.

I only wish Commodore knew how the sales of the A2000s hurt their credibility
among loyal Amiga people.
My B2000 is going great however and I am still pleased I bought an AMIGA!!!!!

In article <1990Sep13.155624.15807@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:
>Pardon me for my ignorance but I saw a few postings about an Amiga B2000.
>I always thought the Amiga line was A500,A2000,A3000. Is the B2000 a
>different version of the 2000? Someone please clarify this for me.

There are two major versions of the A2000.  The original, the A2000-a, was
a 4-layer board based on the original A1000 motherboard logic (eg, thin
Agnus and all those buffers).  This machine had 512K on the motherboard.
Not long after this machine was introduced (Europe and Canada, it was never
sold in the USA) it was replaced by the A2000-b, or "B2000" as it's sometimes
called, is a 2-layer board design which is based on the A500 motherboard logic
(eg, Fat Agnus and Gary) along with its own custom bus control chip.  This
machine has 1 megabyte of memory on-board, and both the video and coprocessor
slots are supersets of the original A2000-a slots.  It also has the A500-style
monochrome composite video output.  The easiest way to tell the difference,
externally, is to look at the back of the machine.  The machine revision is
given by the formula:

	'A'+ (char)(number_of_RCA_jacks-2)

Chances are extremely good that any arbitrary A2000 is of the "B" variety.
That's just about certain in the USA (the "A" version wouldn't pass the FCC
certification necessary to sell a computer in the USA).

>Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu    |  I'm not totally useless -

      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

cameron@kirk.nmg.bu.oz (Cameron Stevenson) (09/21/90)

>>A2000 is the original, German-developed 2000. B2000 is the American remake,
>>which is easily recognized by it's 3 RCA jacks instead of two (composite B/W
>>video). It's main advantage is that it's upgradable (uses the chipset with
>>Agnus, Paula, Denise...). A500's and B2000's do, A1000's and A2000's don't.
>
> The other disadvantages of the A model 2000 were: Flaky, slow ram that used uo
> the cproocessor slot, and inability to easily upgrade to 1 meg chip, and the
> single socket video slot.

OK, Netland gurus, I'm one of those poor unfortunate souls who bought an
early A2000. This machine has performed almost faultlessly for me since
it was first bought, and I have no intention of replacing it yet. MAYBE??

You see, it all depends upon the answer to my current problem/woes... namely,
I want a hard disk in the thing. Now are there any problems sticking such a
convenient device into one of these models, and if not what is the cheapest/
best/safest combination.

What about things like WB2.0, AV, etc., etc.... Will these great new
convenience goodies be pliable enough to work inside my machine??

The answers to these questions will determine the outcome of a long and
fruitful/meaningful relationship with my machine. Will keep you all posted...

Cameron Stephenson                     Telephone +61 75 951220
Bond University
Gold Coast    Australia