[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A590 XT-interface

In <1093@tau.sm.luth.se>, d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:
>By now I know that the A590 and the 2091 are logically identical apart from
>the "XT-interface" in the A590. But what is it? Is it ST506 or ESDI?
>Or even EDI(?) as I've seen some people call it.
>I need to know, 'cause I would like to buy a larger (preferrably cheap)
>drive to replace the 20MB Epson in my A590. (I find large SCSI:s too
>expensive :-(
>
>I know all about the differences between ESDI, ST506 and SCSI and the
>different types of ST506: MFM, RLL, ARRL and so on, I just need to know
>which type the "XT-drive" in the A590 is!
>
>Also, is it "half-height"? My *guess* is that it's half-height, ESDI, 3.5".

It's IDE. It's a 3.5" drive.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (09/16/90)

By now I know that the A590 and the 2091 are logically identical apart from
the "XT-interface" in the A590. But what is it? Is it ST506 or ESDI?
Or even EDI(?) as I've seen some people call it.
I need to know, 'cause I would like to buy a larger (preferrably cheap)
drive to replace the 20MB Epson in my A590. (I find large SCSI:s too
expensive :-(

I know all about the differences between ESDI, ST506 and SCSI and the
different types of ST506: MFM, RLL, ARRL and so on, I just need to know
which type the "XT-drive" in the A590 is!

Also, is it "half-height"? My *guess* is that it's half-height, ESDI, 3.5".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Michael
--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se

srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) (09/17/90)

In article <1093@tau.sm.luth.se> d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:

> I know all about the differences between ESDI, ST506 and SCSI and the
> different types of ST506: MFM, RLL, ARRL and so on, I just need to know
> which type the "XT-drive" in the A590 is!

I would like to know the answer to this question as well.  I have a
Conner IDE drive I would like to use with my Amiga.

srm
--

				Scott R. Myers

Snail:	26 Stiles Street			Phone:(201)882-3100
        Apartment 18
	Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Arpa:	srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu			Uucp: ..!dimacs!srm

		"... No matter where you go, there you are ..."

palmermg@infonode.ingr.com (Michael G. Palmer) (09/17/90)

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (09/17/90)

lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>It's IDE. It's a 3.5" drive.

Ok, IDE it is. I can't remember seeing that interface type in a product
magazine i poured over a month ago, though. Did I miss it...? I take it
this EDI thing is rather common, or..?

Also, could any of you guys give me some prices? Let's say for a drive of
around 100 MB suitable for the A590.

Again, all answers much appreciated.

Mike
--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se
\X/   U of Lulea, SWEDEN      ARPA:     d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
			      UUCP:  {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d88-mbe

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (09/18/90)

I think you are missing an important point here. The A590 will accept
a SCSI hard drive as easily as it accepts the IDE drive. So, for
your 100 megabyte hard drive, just grab a standard 105 Quantum and a
2 inch long standard SCSI cable. Plug and go.

srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) (09/18/90)

In article <14484@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) writes:

> I think you are missing an important point here. The A590 will accept
> a SCSI hard drive as easily as it accepts the IDE drive. So, for
> your 100 megabyte hard drive, just grab a standard 105 Quantum and a
> 2 inch long standard SCSI cable. Plug and go.

How is that so.  Does it actually have two different controllers in
it?

BTW
Please excuse my ignorance...  I'm not even quite sure what the A590
real purpose in life is so if the answer to this question seems
obvious to most, then consider me a dumb dumb in need of an answer
:-).

srm
--

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (09/19/90)

In article <Sep.18.08.56.38.1990.25236@dimacs.rutgers.edu> srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) writes:
>In article <14484@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) writes:
>
>> I think you are missing an important point here. The A590 will accept
>> a SCSI hard drive as easily as it accepts the IDE drive. So, for
>> your 100 megabyte hard drive, just grab a standard 105 Quantum and a
>> 2 inch long standard SCSI cable. Plug and go.
>
>How is that so.  Does it actually have two different controllers in
>it?

Yes.

>BTW
>Please excuse my ignorance...  I'm not even quite sure what the A590
>real purpose in life is so if the answer to this question seems
>obvious to most, then consider me a dumb dumb in need of an answer
>:-).

The A590 is an add-on for the A500. It gives you a 20 megabyte (IDE)
hard drive, sockets for 2 megabytes of fast ram and a SCSI controller
with a pass through.  You can add a SCSI hard drive(s) to the thing
by way of the external SCSI port (extra power supply needed) or you
can open the thing (see "warranty-voiding operations"), remove the
IDE drive, insert the SCSI drive in its place and connect it to the
internal SCSI connector (no extra power suppply required.)  There are
one or two DIP switches on the back of the A590 that need to be taken
into consideration but it's really cake.

It just seemed that you were getting the wrong impression - that the
A590 used *only* IDE drives. Not so. In fact, the A590's SCSI controller
is a close relative of the A2091 controller and it is *fast*.

bj

>				Scott R. Myers

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer @ Commodore-Amiga Inc.                   |
 | bj@cbmvax.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj   GEnie: B.J. |
 | "Please Captain, not in front of the Klingons."                           |

In article <Sep.18.08.56.38.1990.25236@dimacs.rutgers.edu> srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) writes:
>In article <14484@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) writes:
>
>> I think you are missing an important point here. The A590 will accept
>> a SCSI hard drive as easily as it accepts the IDE drive. So, for
>> your 100 megabyte hard drive, just grab a standard 105 Quantum and a
>> 2 inch long standard SCSI cable. Plug and go.
>
>How is that so.  Does it actually have two different controllers in
>it?

Yesssiiirrr! PLUS provision (sockets) for 2 MB Fast RAM. Impressing?

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (09/19/90)

In article <14525@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) writes:
>In article <Sep.18.08.56.38.1990.25236@dimacs.rutgers.edu> srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) writes:
>>How is that so.  Does it actually have two different controllers in
>>it?
>
>Yes.
>
>It just seemed that you were getting the wrong impression - that the
>A590 used *only* IDE drives. Not so. In fact, the A590's SCSI controller
>is a close relative of the A2091 controller and it is *fast*.

The SCSI controller on the A590 also works with SCSI tape units (at
least with my Wangtek 60 Meg SCSI) and uses the same tape backup
software that the 2091 uses.

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (09/20/90)

OK,  you've convinced me the A590 is great.  But I don't need to buy
a box, board, and drive.  I have a drive.  Can I get the box and board
without the drive?  Or just the board and I'll make my own box around
my drive.  I am definitely interested but my interest drops rapidly
if I have to buy the whole thing.  Perhaps someone has a used one they
will sell at a reasonable price?

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

EMail OK!!

umsmigie@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jason Smigiel) (09/22/90)

	As long as we are talking about the A590... I managed to get one
at a cut rate price only later to find out that it had a rough life
in its previous home.

	The A590 I have has got the following:

	AWK 312618 REV 7
	512k expansion RAM (120 ns, CMOS)
	Epson HMD 755, IDE type Hard Drive

	The problem is that my Amiga 500 will not function when the
memory is installed.  The memory is installed properly. No problems
with the chips sitting the wrong way.  The 512k jumper IS set.

	As soon as I turn the A500 on it just sits on a light grey screen.
No request for Workbench, no blinking power LEDs, nothing.

	I'm not expecting any miracles.... but perhaps a little
insight into whats happening with my A590.

Thanks,
Jason