[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amiga 3000 + AMAX == IIci?

gross@umiami.miami.edu (JD144) (09/19/90)

I'm curious...

Now, an Amiga 3000 can be had for about $3400...and the AMAX II emulator
for about...$450 (?)

What I wanna know is...if you have this little setup...to which Mac is
it comparable to?  Is it as fast as IIci (the A3000 and Iici use the
same 25MHz '030) or is it a little faster than the IIci?

Jes wonderin'... :)

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
Hey, wanna save the world? | Got sumtin' to say?        gross@umiami.bitnet

Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr (Patrick Hayes) (09/19/90)

I personally wouldn't consider it the equal of a ci for the simple reason that
the AMAX only gives Mac + (or maybe Mac SE) ROM compatablity. No color QD,
etc...

Looks more like an accelerated Plus to me. What are the current prices on a
Mac + and a 25 Mhz accelerator nowadays?

Pat

--

+-------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Patrick Hayes                 |  EMail :  Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr  |

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (09/20/90)

In article <6956.26f6cc18@umiami.miami.edu> gross@umiami.miami.edu (JD144)
writes:
> What I wanna know is...if you have this little setup...to which Mac is
> it comparable to?  Is it as fast as IIci (the A3000 and Iici use the
> same 25MHz '030) or is it a little faster than the IIci?

Actually its comparable to a Mac Plus with a 25Mhz '030 upgrade. Why?
Its because Amax (& Spectre for the Atari) use the 128k roms from a Plus.
The IIci uses the 512k roms which contain ColorQuickdraw for instance.
Unless conditions really change, Amax and Spectre will be stuck at the
Plus level for quite awhile.

Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu

bainbrdk@sage.cc.purdue.edu (David Bainbridge) (09/20/90)

In article <50421@brunix.UUCP> mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) writes:
>> What I wanna know is...if you have this little setup...to which Mac is
>> it comparable to?  Is it as fast as IIci (the A3000 and Iici use the
>> same 25MHz '030) or is it a little faster than the IIci?
>
>Actually its comparable to a Mac Plus with a 25Mhz '030 upgrade. Why?
>Its because Amax (& Spectre for the Atari) use the 128k roms from a Plus.
>The IIci uses the 512k roms which contain ColorQuickdraw for instance.
>Unless conditions really change, Amax and Spectre will be stuck at the
>Plus level for quite awhile.
I believe it will be always stuck at the plus level since the newer machines
have the ROMS soldered onto the motherboard.  Whereas the Plus were placed
into a socket easily removeable.  Apple must have gotten worried about all
those Mac Plus ROM's floating around..

rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (09/22/90)

In article <6956.26f6cc18@umiami.miami.edu>, gross@umiami.miami.edu (JD144) writes:
> I'm curious...
>
> Now, an Amiga 3000 can be had for about $3400...and the AMAX II emulator
> for about...$450 (?)
>
> What I wanna know is...if you have this little setup...to which Mac is
> it comparable to?  Is it as fast as IIci (the A3000 and Iici use the
> same 25MHz '030) or is it a little faster than the IIci?

And educational prices make the IIci around $3400.

Gee, I think I'd rather have a mac.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rob Pickering

internet:  pickerin@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu  NeXT: pickerin@next4.acs.muohio.edu
bitnet  :  rp1voper@miamiu.bitnet

"One time the police stopped me for speeding, and they said,'Hey, don't
 you know that the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?'.
 I said,'Yeah, I know...but I wasn't going to be out that long.'"
                             -Steven Wright

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (09/23/90)

In article <2376.26fb33e2@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu imagines::
>In article <6956.26f6cc18@umiami.miami.edu>, gross@umiami.miami.edu (JD144) writes:
>> I'm curious...
>>
>> Now, an Amiga 3000 can be had for about $3400...and the AMAX II emulator
>> for about...$450 (?)
>>
>> What I wanna know is...if you have this little setup...to which Mac is
>> it comparable to?  Is it as fast as IIci (the A3000 and Iici use the
>> same 25MHz '030) or is it a little faster than the IIci?

Can't say, but I _do_ know that my 7.14Mhz Amiga running Amax is faster
than a 7.56Mhz Mac.  (Custom chips, guys...)  The effect is minimal, and
wouldn't probably be significant until you were doing ray-traces or some
other major number-crunching.  (And why would I do ray-tracing on a Mac
anyway?  Ever priced Sculpt 3D for both Amiga and Mac?)

And then I can still use AmigaDOS instead of the Mac's OS when I don't
need Mac compatibility.  That's nice, since I can't stand Mac's OS.

>And educational prices make the IIci around $3400.

Is that including a color graphics board and monitor?  Keyboard?  Hard
drive?

The A3000 comes with a keyboard (what a concept!), graphics built in, SCSI
on the motherboard, 50MB Quantum HD, 2MB RAM, etc.  The educational package
with a multisync monitor comes to $3039.

>Gee, I think I'd rather have a mac.

Thanks, considering that the waiting list for A3000s is getting longer.
CBM can't keep up with the DEMAND for them!

>Rob Pickering
>internet:  pickerin@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu  NeXT: pickerin@next4.acs.muohio.edu
>bitnet  :  rp1voper@miamiu.bitnet

Just what is the price of a Mac IIci with 8-bit graphics, 40-50MB Quantum,
KEYBOARD, hi-res color monitor, and at least 2MB of RAM?  List and
educational, please...
             Disclaimer:  "Who me?  Surely you must be mistaken!"         _ _
"The lunatic is in the hall.  The lunatics are in my hall.        AMIGA! ////
 The paper holds their folded faces to the floor,                       ////
 And every day the paperboy brings more." -- Pink Floyd           _ _  ////
                                                                  \\\\////
        Greg Harp               greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu            \\XX//
Stolen from an idea by es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu [Ethan Solomita]:
      execute (Saddam_Hussein);                oil_prices++;

oleg@crash.cts.com (Oleg Rovner) (09/23/90)

In article <2376.26fb33e2@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>In article <6956.26f6cc18@umiami.miami.edu>, gross@umiami.miami.edu (JD144) writes:
>> I'm curious...
>>
>> Now, an Amiga 3000 can be had for about $3400...and the AMAX II emulator
>> for about...$450 (?)
>>

>And educational prices make the IIci around $3400.
>
>Gee, I think I'd rather have a mac.

[.sig skipped]

Apple Macintosh price list at the UCSD UniversitBookstore (prices for
qualified UCSD faculty staff and students only! (as of 9.11.90))

M5737ll/a Macintosh IIci (4Mb, 1 Super Drive, '030 CPU, 25 MHz,
built in video) $4,100,00

Prices do not include monitor ($750.00for Apple color) or keyboard
($100. apple standard)

TOTAL: $4,950.00<> "around" $3,400.00

So, where can I get a Mac IIci wih the "luxury items" like monitor and
keyboard for $3,400.00?

OR

contents copyright (c) 1990 Oleg Rovner and may not be quoted and/or
distributed without permission except by/on USENET and /dev/null
"Tommy Lasorda may not be a typical SlimFast user" SlimFast disclaimer

ar4@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) (09/24/90)

In <4593@crash.cts.com> oleg@crash.cts.com (Oleg Rovner) writes:

>Apple Macintosh price list at the UCSD UniversitBookstore (prices for
>qualified UCSD faculty staff and students only! (as of 9.11.90))

>M5737ll/a Macintosh IIci (4Mb, 1 Super Drive, '030 CPU, 25 MHz,
>built in video) $4,100,00

What makes one University's educational prices different from another?
Here at Purdue University, the IIci with 4MB RAM costs $3820. The same setup
with an 80MB Quantum drive is $4286.

What also upsets me is that these prices are listed as up to date as of
September 15th and they exactly match the prices listed as of August 15th.
Wasn't there a significant drop in the IIci's price before/on September 15th?
When will this be reflected?!? (If ever...)

-----
Piper Keairnes
ar4@sage.cc.purdue.edu

jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) (09/24/90)

PLEASE move this discussion to comp.sys.mac.misc, or, if you prefer,
to /dev/null!

-JT