[net.space] Mars rumor

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:rta@cmu-cs-spice.arpa (05/31/85)

From: Robert.Aarhus@CMU-CS-SPICE

	I hate to bring up a rumor like this on one of the best
	net-bboards, but I am hoping that someone "in the know"
	can confirm/deny this story:

	At a national Metallurgical Science convention, it was
	announced that photographs from the Viking lander revealed
	what appeared to be a pyramidal rock formation with "a
	face on it" (this is where I became *real* skeptical);
	the formation, no less, had dimensions akin to those of
	the Great Pyramids. The pyramid appeared in greatly enlarged
	photographs of the martian surface.

	Now a rock formation, perhaps, but a Pyramid with a face?
	Does anyone know if this thing has been observed (maybe just
	a photographic artifact?), and if so, why the media hasn't
	picked up on it (sounds like something from the pages of
	the Enquirer)?..

						Bob Aarhus
						rta@cmu-cs-spice.arpa

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:Lynn.ES@Xerox.ARPA (06/03/85)

From: Lynn.ES@Xerox.ARPA

NASA has been showing those pictures for years, and people keep trying
to make something out of them.  There are two separate objects on Mars
to which you refer, one a pyramid shaped peak, quite regular, and the
other a rock formation that with just the right sunlight angle appears
roughly like a face.  But only roughly.  There is no reason to assume
they are other than natural rock formations.  After all there are
several famous natural rock "faces" here on earth.
/Don Lynn

steiner@topaz.ARPA (Dave Steiner) (06/05/85)

In the June 2nd issue of Parade Magazine (distributed in a number of
newspapers) there is an article by Carl Sagan titled THE MAN IN THE MOON and
subtitled "Why do people see faces in eggplants, tortillas, in the Moon and
the planets?"  In the article they talk about the face (at Cydonia) you
describe (althought there is no mention of a pyramid).  They have two
pictures of it, one that is quite like a face, the other with the lighting
at a different angle where it looks more like an irregular hill.  An
interesting article.
--
ds

uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!steiner
arpa:   Steiner@RUTGERS

doug@escher.UUCP (Douglas J Freyburger) (06/06/85)

> From: Robert.Aarhus@CMU-CS-SPICE
> 	At a national Metallurgical Science convention, it was
> 	announced that photographs from the Viking lander revealed
> 	what appeared to be a pyramidal rock formation with "a
> 	face on it" (this is where I became *real* skeptical);
>
> 	Now a rock formation, perhaps, but a Pyramid with a face?
> 	Does anyone know if this thing has been observed (maybe just
> 	a photographic artifact?), and if so, why the media hasn't

	A couple months ago, the JPL employee's newssheet
"The JPL Universe" had a pictorial of several photos like
that.  A lunar crater with a smiley face, a little Mars
mountain with an ice-hockey goalie mask, cracks in Ganymede
shaped like a mouse, etc.  There were about a dozen all
told, and some had to be explained before you got the joke.
The best part of the Martian face is that one of the "eyes"
was a pixel drop-out during transmission, and the other was
a fairly recent crater.  Computer image enhancement had
sharpened one, and blurred the other.  The algorthyms do
that to bit drop-outs usually.

	The claim of a "Great Pyramid" is one I haven't
heard about yet, though.  Sounds like fun.  Let's go play
Napolean, and strip off the top layer of limestone as
convient building material for our colonies housing!

DOUG@JPL-VLSI, doug@aerospace, ...!trwrb!escher!doug, etc.
Douglas J Freyburger, JPL 171-243, Pasadena, CA 91109