[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Mail Order Houses

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (09/20/90)

In article <11212@celit.fps.com> hutch@fps.com (Jim Hutchison) writes:
>pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com (Pierre Altamore) and
>harding%b56vxg.dnet@kodak.com (JON HARDING) have had some hard times
>speaking with M.A.S.T. (USA, Nevada I'd guess).
>
>I'd like to temper there postings with this one.  I called up M.A.S.T.
>and spoke with a pleasant individual who was conversant in the M.A.S.T.
>product line, and offered answers to my techinical questions.
  [Jim conveys a good experience with M.A.S.T.]

>--
>-
>Jim Hutchison		{dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!fps!hutch
>Disclaimer:  I am not an official spokesman for FPS computing

The tech/salesperson (I didn't believe such a beast existed) I talked to at
M.A.S.T. was very well-informed and helpful.  He _was_ however doing the
sales part of his job while I was asking technical questions, but I can't
blame him.

NOW, the only problem I have with M.A.S.T. is that I ordered something that
the guy said was "definitely in stock" (I hadn't asked yet) last week.  Because
of the minimal difference in charge, I had it shipped 2nd-day.  The second day
(as projected by the saleperson -- he said it would get here _by_ then) was
Tuesday.  Of course, the UPS truck hasn't come by today, but that at least
shows a delay of one day.  In other words, if you're in a hurry to get it....

Another mail-order shop I have had experience with is M.C.S.  These people
gave me lots of trouble with the "Why not buy this _more_ _expandable_
(read: more _expensive_) one?" ploy.  The product I ordered showed up on their
computer as well in stock.  Once again I had the item shipped 2nd-day.  One
week after I ordered the product, I was called and told it would be shipped
that day.  I got silence when I asked why it wasn't shipped before.  Once week
later, I called and the item had not been shipped.  It had apparently been
out of stock and they had been expecting it to come in all this time.
Needless to say, I canceled the order after chewing on the (same) guy's ear for
about five mintues (I called their 800 number, so they got to pay for it too).

SO....I called BriWall and ordered the product.  They got a little confused
with my credit card (I called on the day it was supposed to arrive).  They
explained that the card I used was over its limit.  I knew that it wasn't, and
a call to the credit card company verified that I had a good $1500 left.
That was finally cleared up, and I got my board about 5 days after the
original projected arrival time.  (which is about the closest I've come in
my mail-order experiences)

Now, to leave a good taste in your mouths (I don't want to _just_ gripe :-)
BriWall cut me a deal on the board I ordered, which was to be populated with
1MB of 80ns 256X4 DRAMS.  I had originally planned to buy the chips from
a shop near my home for less than what BriWall wanted to charge me.  I told
the salesperson this when he asked me if I wanted to buy chips with it.

Anyway, he sold me the board and the chips, reducing the total price by the
difference in the chip price.  Since this was originally a package deal, I
got the board for less than the posted price!

THAT was my only good experience. :-)

             Claimer:  "Who me?  Surely you must be mistaken!"            _ _
"The lunatic is in the hall.  The lunatics are in my hall.        AMIGA! ////
 The paper holds their folded faces to the floor,                       ////
 And every day the paperboy brings more." -- Pink Floyd           _ _  ////
                                                                  \\\\////
        Greg Harp               greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu            \\XX//
Stolen from an idea by es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu [Ethan Solomita]:
      execute (Saddam_Hussein);                oil_prices++;

chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Everhart) (09/20/90)

In article <37379@ut-emx.uucp>, greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:

> SO....I called BriWall and ordered the product.  They got a little confused
	.
	.
	.
> THAT was my only good experience. :-)

I've had good experience with BriWall.  I ordered the AMAX package from them,
and got it REAL fast, and at a reduced price.  They even make custom package
deals from time to time.  You tell them what you want, and ask if there's any
way they can make a package deal, and they'll try to come up with something.
They can't always do it, but at least they try.

Also, BriWall is not ONLY mail order.  They have stores too.

Chris Everhart
chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu

h112706@assari.tut.fi (Herranen Henrik) (09/20/90)

In article <37379@ut-emx.uucp> greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (G
>Now, to leave a good taste in your mouths (I don't want to _just_ gripe :-)
>BriWall cut me a deal on the board I ordered, which was to be populated with
>1MB of 80ns 256X4 DRAMS.  I had originally planned to buy the chips from
>a shop near my home for less than what BriWall wanted to charge me.  I told
>the salesperson this when he asked me if I wanted to buy chips with it.
>
>Anyway, he sold me the board and the chips, reducing the total price by the
>difference in the chip price.  Since this was originally a package deal, I
>got the board for less than the posted price!

I, too, have something to say about Briwall. Last month, on Friday, I ordered a
Hard Frame disk controller, Quantum 105 MB drive and a Supra memory expansion
board with 2 MB populated for my A2000. I faxed 'em on Friday afternoon
(Finnish time) and got the stuff next Tuesday at 07:30 am brought to my home.
That's what I call speed!
--
  Name:     Henrik 'Leopold' Herranen  h112706@lehtori.tut.fi
  Address:  TTKK/P{{rakennuksen neuvonta/PL527/33101 Tampere/Suomi Finlandia

  "On d{htinen daevas ja kuutamoy|, on morsiamelta katkaistu p{{"   E.L.1989

ESDYKE@MTUS5.BITNET (Erick Dyke) (09/21/90)

Two quick notes on mailorder while we are on the topic:

1) M.C.S. is under bankrupt laws due to a big problem with the 1000->2000
          tradeup (the $1000 + .01$ for a bridgeboard deal) They should
          not be trusted (Their adds in computer magazines are shrinking
          which should give you an idea of there budget)  (They also
          have a storefront operation Microworld, which is where they
          got into most of this bridgeboard trouble)

2) Good experience of mine is Computability in WI.  I have order are recieved
   software, 8 VCRs, 2 Video Cams,  an Amiga 500 for a friend, and my
   2 meg expansion card.  All at the best TOTAL cost (Shipping + Price)
   that anyone would give me over the phone.

Erick

sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) (09/26/90)

Chris Everhart writes:
>Also, BriWall is not ONLY mail order.  They have stores too.

Where are these stores located?  I know of one and it is where the mail
order house is.  My home home(not college home) is about 1/2 hour away
from them(My house is in Allentown) and I visited their showroom one
time to buy something.  The showroom was their warehouse.  It was a
townhouse-converted warehouse and you can just walk in and see about 5
people working to fill the mail orders.  I got a chance to talk to the
'manager' and he was helpful.

			Sun...

rnegie Mellon University         INTERNET:
sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu

Yet, another version of sig file.  I don't feel too interesting now so I
will just leave
it like this.  I will update it to a bodacious version 'soon'.  Party on dudes!

DISCLAIMER:  Everything I say can and will be used against you. :-)  :-)  :-)
SIGNATURE file v.2.1 (updated 9/19/90)