[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Help with processors

SLMT9@cc.usu.edu (09/26/90)

	Hi to all of you hardware guru's out there.

	My question is this. is it possible to simply replace the 68000 running
at 8 Mhz. with a 68000 at running at 16 Mhz. ?? Are they the same size ? will
this cause more problems than it is worth?
	The reason that I ask is that a person I know locally said that it
was possible and even easy.

	I would love to hear from every one on this subject so that I can make
the best decision possible.

	Thanks,
	Joshua
	SLMT9@cc.usu.edu

lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) (09/28/90)

SLMT9@cc.usu.edu writes:

>	Hi to all of you hardware guru's out there.
>
>	My question is this. is it possible to simply replace the 68000 running
>at 8 Mhz. with a 68000 at running at 16 Mhz. ?? Are they the same size ? will
>this cause more problems than it is worth?
>	The reason that I ask is that a person I know locally said that it
>was possible and even easy.
>
>	I would love to hear from every one on this subject so that I can make
>the best decision possible.
>
>	Thanks,
>	Joshua
>	SLMT9@cc.usu.edu

Well, you can plug the new 16MHz processor into the socket where your old one
resided (they're the same chip...just rated to operate ok at different speeds)
BUT, unless you do some more modifications, the chip will simply run at the
normal 7.14MHz (approx) clock signal supplied to it from the motherboard.  To
get the chip running faster, it must be fed a higher clock rate.  BUT there's
more:  You cannot simply drop in a faster oscillator and blaze away...you must
synchronize with the Amiga's bus...more complications.  There are a number of
text files out there describing modifications to run a faster 68000 in you
system..you may want to take a look at these.

--LaMonte

"The MOST original .sig file yet: A non-existant one!"

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!lkoop
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lkoop@nosc.mil
INET: lkoop@pnet01.cts.com