[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Floppy interface

maniac@cleanhead.cs.unlv.edu (Eric J. Schwertfeger) (09/27/90)

    Would someone mind emailing me the post that describes how to use
IBM 3 1/2 inch drives on the Amiga?  I`ve been offered one cheap, and
would like to add a second drive to my A500.
    Do all 3 1/2 inch drives have the disk change signal, or only
certain ones?

Eric J. Schwertfeger, maniac@cleanhead.cs.unlv.edu

johnhlee@hermod.cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) (09/27/90)

In article <2018@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> maniac@cleanhead.cs.unlv.edu (Eric J. Schwertfeger) writes:

>    Would someone mind emailing me the post that describes how to use
>IBM 3 1/2 inch drives on the Amiga?  I`ve been offered one cheap, and
>would like to add a second drive to my A500.
>    Do all 3 1/2 inch drives have the disk change signal, or only
>certain ones?
>
>Eric J. Schwertfeger, maniac@cleanhead.cs.unlv.edu

Not all IBM 3-1/2" drives have the disk change signal, although ones designed
to work with an AT (and I think, the PS/2) do.  You'll have to check with the
manufacturer and make sure that the drive has the signal, and that it's in
the usual pin (I forget which.)

It's not too difficult to interface the drive to your A500, but it's not a
piece of cake, either.  I hope you're comfortable with using a soldering iron
and handling IC's.

In search of the GURU!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann) (09/30/90)

        No, not all IBM 3.5" drives will work. The stock A500 uses a Chinon
drive. Mine was replace with a Panasonic no problem. I hear the Toshiba drives
have been made to work and a simple circuit will allow you to use most any
3.5" drive.
        I don't have FTP, but I can mail you the file if you send me a blank
and re-state that you wanted the schemes for a drive.  address in .sig below.

 ProLine: danb20@pro-graphics           ***************************
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!danb20  *       Dan Bachmann      *
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!danb20@nosc.mil  *  Raritan Valley College *
Internet: danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com   ***************************
U.S.Mail: 509 StonyBrook Drive, Bridgewater, NJ 08807