[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Hard disk transfer rates

In <1990Sep1.231510.10650@agate.berkeley.edu>, c60c-1gd@e260-1c.berkeley.edu (Joon Song) writes:
>I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.  I've read several articles
>claiming that hard disk transfer rates through a SCSI port is as high as
>3.5 meg/sec.  Is this the actual throughput of the hard disk system?
>Does this involve data being cached?  3.5 meg/sec is considerably faster
>than what I had thought possible for hard disk r/w.

There are hard drives, and there are hard drives. Some are faster than others.
The fastest hard drives are fairly expensive, though not exceedingly so.

>Suppose a hard disk had 34 sectors/track.  A hard disk spins 60 rev/sec.
>So the fastest disk transfer rate should be:
>    34 sectors/track * 512 bytes/sector * 60 rev/sec = approx. 1 meg/sec.

Suppose it had cylinder caching.
Suppose it had even more sectors per track.
Suppose it had a parallel head scheme.
Suppose it is an SMD drive run through a SCSI<->SMD adapter.

>Can someone explain how 3.5 meg/sec transfer rate can be possible?

Many things are possible, once the drive and controller are integrated, and the
manufacturer no longer has to have a controller<->drive interface that is
compatible with any published standards.

The fastest SCSI hard drives available today can run pretty fast. Here are some
excerpts from a posting on another newsgroup:

Synchronous SCSI is a data transfer method that, during the data phase only,
allows burst data transfers at a higher rate over a longer distance than
asynchronous transfer allows.  Depending on the particular machines, the data
rates theoretically reach 5 Mbytes.  Typical implementations allow 2.5 to 4.5
Mbytes.  The host adapter and the peripheral device must both agree, through a
special negotiation procedure, what speed they will use.

Note that most SCSI disk drives are ultimately limited in their data rate by
the rate at which data can be read from the disk, typically 1.2 to 1.8 Mbytes.
SCSI disk drives are just beginning to get their seek times down near SMD seek
times (14 to 20 milliseconds).  The result is that, for the near term, the net
performance of a typical SCSI drive will be somewhat less than the performance
of an SMD disk drive.  As the disk data rate and seek times improve over the
next five years, the SCSI drives will gradually move into the performance range
presently occupied by the SMD drives.

Many of the SCSI disks also have special caching and buffering features that
not only speed up the data transfer, but provide faster access to the data.

The Imprimis Wren-7 is a 1.2GB drive with a sub-20ms average access time
and up to 4MB/sec synchronous SCSI transfer rate.  Hewlett-Packard also
makes a 1.2GB SCSI drive with 16ms average access time, 4MByte/sec
transfer rate synchronous, 1.5MByte/sec asynchronous.

The Imprimis drive (without power supply or cabinet) is available from
Arrow Electronics for ~$4000.  The HP drive is available from Hybrid
Systems (+1 617 357 1838) for $4150.  It comes with a 5-year warrantee
from HP.  Besides the benefit of a 40% price reduction, these are 5-1/4''
drives, taking trivial space and power and not requiring rack mounting.
(Hybrid can also sell you the Imprimis drive, and packaging and cables and
such.)

My HP drive is "in the mail" and I can let you know how it works in a few
weeks.  I've had nothing but pleasure from my two Imprimis Wren-5's so I
expect that a Wren-7 would do fine too.  It was the 5-year warrantee from
HP that swayed me in their direction.

I don't know of any SCSI drives that have hit the 6MB/sec transfer rate of
the $11500 IPI drives, but for that money you could buy TWO 1.2gig SCSI disks
and TWO host adapters, for a similar aggregate data rate but twice the access
arms, twice the capacity, and the ability to transfer data on one drive while
the other is seeking.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

c60c-1gd@e260-1c.berkeley.edu (Joon Song) (09/02/90)

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.  I've read several articles
claiming that hard disk transfer rates through a SCSI port is as high as
3.5 meg/sec.  Is this the actual throughput of the hard disk system?
Does this involve data being cached?  3.5 meg/sec is considerably faster
than what I had thought possible for hard disk r/w.

Suppose a hard disk had 34 sectors/track.  A hard disk spins 60 rev/sec.
So the fastest disk transfer rate should be:
    34 sectors/track * 512 bytes/sector * 60 rev/sec = approx. 1 meg/sec.

Can someone explain how 3.5 meg/sec transfer rate can be possible?

---------
Joon Song
c60c-1gd@web.berkeley.edu

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Sep1.231510.10650@agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-1gd@e260-1c (Joon Song) writes:
>I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.  I've read several articles
>claiming that hard disk transfer rates through a SCSI port is as high as
>3.5 meg/sec.  Is this the actual throughput of the hard disk system?
>Does this involve data being cached?  3.5 meg/sec is considerably faster
>than what I had thought possible for hard disk r/w.

I think there are some disks around that work with a data rate that high
but they don't use the SCSI bus.

The fastest SCSI disks I've seen are the 700Meg devices from Maxtor and HP
(and possibly more companies). With 56 sectors/track you can get about
1.6MB/sec sustained data rate.

But if you use several disks at a time you could add up their data rates
up to the limit given by the SCSI bus and the host adapter. With the
Amiga this is 3.5MB/sec therefore you could read from two such drives
at once and don't impact on the drives performance.

--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

In <126198@pyramid.pyramid.com>, telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) writes:

>I was confused too, until I remembered seeing disk I/O throughput
>measurements on our Pyramid mainframe computers.  They were around 400
>Kilobyte per second or higher, measured by user-level software, so this
>*is* the throughput of the hard disk system.  This works out to be 3.2
>Megabits per second (400,000 x 8 = 3,200,000) or higher.  I believe
>some people thought SCSI systems have throughputs of 4 Mega-*bytes*
>per second.  I'm not on the SCSI committee, but I'll bet an Amiga that
>the throughputs are really about 4 Mega-*bits* per second.
>
>>Does this involve data being cached?  3.5 meg/sec is considerably faster
>>than what I had thought possible for hard disk r/w.
>>
>>Suppose a hard disk had 34 sectors/track.  A hard disk spins 60 rev/sec.
>>So the fastest disk transfer rate should be:
>>    34 sectors/track * 512 bytes/sector * 60 rev/sec = approx. 1 meg/sec.
>>
>>Can someone explain how 3.5 meg/sec transfer rate can be possible?
>
>I can't address myself to your other questions, but I have seen
>calculations made by UNIX-guru-grade I/O software engineers that work
>like your calculation.  And I think the numbers are right, too.

The discussion was confused, to say the least. Here are some of the salient
points.

The A3000 SCSI controller is capable of handling 3.5 MegaBYTES/second to/from
memory.

The SCSI bus itself is capable of handling about 5 MegaBYTES/second.

Currently, the ultimate limitation (ie.  sustained throughput) is limited by
the rate at which data comes off the disk.

Not all SCSI disks are limited to the figures posted in the message you replied
to.

Some (a very few) expensive SCSI disks can transfer data at sustained rates of
about 3 MegaBYTES/second.

Some SCSI disks use fairly large buffers, and this gives them a short-term
transfer rate of 4.5-5 MegaBYTES/second.

The best DiskSpeed performance figures I have seen on an A2000 are about 1.5
MegaBYTES/second.

-larry

--

telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) (09/08/90)

In article <1990Sep1.231510.10650@agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-1gd@e260-1c (Joon Song) writes:
>I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

I hope I'm not violating any rules of n-et-iquette in my follow-up.
Could someone please tell by electronic mail to me if I am.

>I've read several articles
>claiming that hard disk transfer rates through a SCSI port is as high as
>3.5 meg/sec.  Is this the actual throughput of the hard disk system?

I was confused too, until I remembered seeing disk I/O throughput
measurements on our Pyramid mainframe computers.  They were around 400
Kilobyte per second or higher, measured by user-level software, so this
*is* the throughput of the hard disk system.  This works out to be 3.2
Megabits per second (400,000 x 8 = 3,200,000) or higher.  I believe
some people thought SCSI systems have throughputs of 4 Mega-*bytes*
per second.  I'm not on the SCSI committee, but I'll bet an Amiga that
the throughputs are really about 4 Mega-*bits* per second.

>Does this involve data being cached?  3.5 meg/sec is considerably faster
>than what I had thought possible for hard disk r/w.
>
>Suppose a hard disk had 34 sectors/track.  A hard disk spins 60 rev/sec.
>So the fastest disk transfer rate should be:
>    34 sectors/track * 512 bytes/sector * 60 rev/sec = approx. 1 meg/sec.
>
>Can someone explain how 3.5 meg/sec transfer rate can be possible?

I can't address myself to your other questions, but I have seen
calculations made by UNIX-guru-grade I/O software engineers that work
like your calculation.  And I think the numbers are right, too.

>Joon Song
>c60c-1gd@web.berkeley.edu

Regards,
Tom

telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) (09/08/90)

In article <126198@pyramid.pyramid.com> telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) writes:

[I'm adding to my own follow-up.]

>In article <1990Sep1.231510.10650@agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-1gd@e260-1c (Joon Song) writes:
>>I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.
>
>I hope I'm not violating any rules of n-et-iquette in my follow-up.
>Could someone please tell by electronic mail to me if I am.
>
>>I've read several articles
>>claiming that hard disk transfer rates through a SCSI port is as high as
>>3.5 meg/sec.  Is this the actual throughput of the hard disk system?
>
>I was confused too, until I remembered seeing disk I/O throughput
>measurements on our Pyramid mainframe computers.  They were around 400
>Kilobyte per second or higher, measured by user-level software, so this
>*is* the throughput of the hard disk system.  This works out to be 3.2
>Megabits per second (400,000 x 8 = 3,200,000) or higher.  I believe
>some people thought SCSI systems have throughputs of 4 Mega-*bytes*
>per second.  I'm not on the SCSI committee, but I'll bet an Amiga that
>the throughputs are really about 4 Mega-*bits* per second.

I'm sorry.  I was wrong.  I asked a guru here.  The "fast synchronous
data transfers" of SCSI use a clock that sets the transfer rate
somewhere between 4 and 5 Megabytes per second, not faster or slower.
For example, an HP SCSI drive we have here is specified to have fast
synchronous data transfer rate of 4 MB.  I think it would require an
incredibly fast microcode-software-programmed controller to sustain a 4
MB transfer rate:  not just the software would have to be efficient,
but the controller's CPU and other hardware would have to be fast.

>>Does this involve data being cached?  3.5 meg/sec is considerably faster
>>than what I had thought possible for hard disk r/w.
>>
>>Suppose a hard disk had 34 sectors/track.  A hard disk spins 60 rev/sec.
>>So the fastest disk transfer rate should be:
>>    34 sectors/track * 512 bytes/sector * 60 rev/sec = approx. 1 meg/sec.
>>
>>Can someone explain how 3.5 meg/sec transfer rate can be possible?
>
>I can't address myself to your other questions, but I have seen
>calculations made by UNIX-guru-grade I/O software engineers that work
>like your calculation.  And I think the numbers are right, too.
>
>>Joon Song
>>c60c-1gd@web.berkeley.edu
>
>Regards,
>Tom

Tom

In article <126198@pyramid.pyramid.com> telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) writes:
>In article <1990Sep1.231510.10650@agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-1gd@e260-1c (Joon Song) writes:

>>I've read several articles
>>claiming that hard disk transfer rates through a SCSI port is as high as
>>3.5 meg/sec.  Is this the actual throughput of the hard disk system?

>I was confused too, until I remembered seeing disk I/O throughput
>measurements on our Pyramid mainframe computers.  They were around 400
>Kilobyte per second or higher, measured by user-level software, so this
>*is* the throughput of the hard disk system.  This works out to be 3.2
>Megabits per second (400,000 x 8 = 3,200,000) or higher.  I believe
>some people thought SCSI systems have throughputs of 4 Mega-*bytes*
>per second.  I'm not on the SCSI committee, but I'll bet an Amiga that
>the throughputs are really about 4 Mega-*bits* per second.

Typical SCSI devices use the asynchronous transfer mechanism, which is limited
to about 1.5 MegaBYTES per second.  Synchronous SCSI, which uses a clock
rather than a handshake to clock its data, runs at a peak of 4-5 MegaBYTES
per second.  Currently, you won't find actual disk drives that can get data
off their platters much faster than the 1.5 MegaBYTES per second of the
asynchronous SCSI, and most are slower.  But you don't necessarily have just
one device connected to the SCSI bus, so if a drive is capable of buffering
up a track and sending over SCSI a 4 MegaBYTES per second, rather than going
directly from the disk at 1.5-something MegaBYTE per second, you have a big
win in a system with multiple SCSI devices.

>I can't address myself to your other questions, but I have seen
>calculations made by UNIX-guru-grade I/O software engineers that work
>like your calculation.  And I think the numbers are right, too.

UNIX is a bad example of "high speed disk I/O", in general.  Most fast UNIX
systems at the Workstation or PC level manage about 400 KB/s, or less.  Under
the Amiga OS, it's not all that unusual to have typical 800 KB/s transfers,
and with a suitable hard disk (like of the Wren drives), you can get noticably
over one MB/s.  That is, of course, though the filing system.  Part of the
problem with UNIX is that most transfers are broken up into small blocks.  You
might have 10 separate I/O operations to load a 10K block, even if its
contiguous out on disk.  The Amiga's FFS will permit loading of a block of
any size in one operation.

>Tom

      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

ttavolij@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Thomas Tavoly) (09/11/90)

In article <14330@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave
Haynie) writes:

[Loadsa-stuff deleted]

>Typical SCSI devices use the asynchronous transfer mechanism, which is limited
>to about 1.5 MegaBYTES per second.  Synchronous SCSI, which uses a clock
>rather than a handshake to clock its data, runs at a peak of 4-5 MegaBYTES
>per second.  Currently, you won't find actual disk drives that can get data
>off their platters much faster than the 1.5 MegaBYTES per second of the
>asynchronous SCSI, and most are slower.

1. Actually I read something about the IVS Trumpcard Professional version
which will achieve a transfer rate of 1.8 MBytes/sec. Rumour has it that
this card will be out soon (what? Maybe 1992? ;-). Is this with a stock
68k Amiga or some '030? I believe that the method employed here is using
a 16 bit wide bus (dubbed SCSI II), instead of the former 8 bits.
No info on whether it uses DMA or not, but probably yes.

2. Does anyone know of the transfer rates achieved by the GVP Series II SCSI
controller as advertised on page 7 of AmigaWorld September?
It's rather more expensive for me to call to the States than seeking the (free)
advice of my fellow Amigos...

[and other stuff deleted]

On a more brighter note, would you believe this one:
I told a friend, also on the net, that I would be upgrading my A500 (yes
the 3000 is still beyond my reach...) with 2 MB's. He then exclaimed in
horror: "Oh my God, then it will be bitching in stereo !!" :) ;)

BTW, I'll be on the Koeln '90 Ami-expo too, look for that handsome - oh well
you know - :-) Does someone know whether Mr. MB will be there? Should be
an interesting discussion if I met him. I would love to exchange views on
several subjects.

Yes, I know I should have posted this to c.s.a. but the thread was here,
besides there are 2 serious questions in there.

M&M's: melt in your mouth, not on your keyboard (except if it's an Amiga,
because they are sooo hot!)

h112706@assari.tut.fi (Herranen Henrik) (09/12/90)

In article <126198@pyramid.pyramid.com> telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) writes:
>In article <1990Sep1.231510.10650@agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-1gd@e260-1c (Joon Song) writes:
>per second.  I'm not on the SCSI committee, but I'll bet an Amiga that
>the throughputs are really about 4 Mega-*bits* per second.

You have just lost an Amiga. I've got a 68010-based A2000 with 3 Megs of RAM
and the Hard Frame controller with a Quantum 105 MB drive, and the *actual*
data read speed is about 690 kB/s, which is not (I think) 'about 4 Mbit/s'.

The Amiga may be sent to:
Henrik Herranen
TTKK/Paarakennuksen neuvonta
PL 527
33101 Tampere
Finland

--
  Name:     Henrik 'Leopold' Herranen  h112706@lehtori.tut.fi
  Address:  TTKK/P{{rakennuksen neuvonta/PL527/33101 Tampere/Suomi Finlandia

  "On d{htinen daevas ja kuutamoy|, on morsiamelta katkaistu p{{"   E.L.1989

In article <3769@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> ttavolij@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Thomas Tavoly) writes:
>In article <14330@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave
>Haynie) writes:

>>Typical SCSI devices use the asynchronous transfer mechanism, which is limited
>>to about 1.5 MegaBYTES per second.  Synchronous SCSI, which uses a clock
>>rather than a handshake to clock its data, runs at a peak of 4-5 MegaBYTES
>>per second.  Currently, you won't find actual disk drives that can get data
>>off their platters much faster than the 1.5 MegaBYTES per second of the
>>asynchronous SCSI, and most are slower.

>1. Actually I read something about the IVS Trumpcard Professional version
>which will achieve a transfer rate of 1.8 MBytes/sec.

That's not bloody likely.  You figure any no wait state cycle on the A2000
takes 560ns.  Discounting the overhead of the copying loop itself, you need
memory two cycles to transfer 16 bits, so you're capable of transferring 1 byte
every 560ns.  So it'll take 587,202,560ns to transfer a megabyte.  Which is
1 Megabyte every 0.5872 seconds, or about 1.703 Megabytes/second.  So, without
DMA, you can't possibly get stuff off a hard disk any faster than that across
the A2000 bus, and anyone who says differenly is lying to you.  And in reality,
it's slower than that, since the CPU needs to fetch instructions (you probably
get close to this speed with a 68010 using loop mode for the transfer).

Of course, none of this is going to tell you how fast the transfer or the
effective disk speed is going to be.  The speed of SCSI, if asynchronous,
will be another limiting factor.  The actual speed of the hard disk still
another.

>Rumour has it that this card will be out soon (what? Maybe 1992? ;-).

To get close to those speeds with that card, you would need to have a
synchronous SCSI interface going at 2 megabytes/second or so, and you would
also need a SCSI device capable of actually supplying data that fast.  This
also implys, in a non-DMA device, that the device is parasitic -- it waits
on the SCSI bus for data, to get it over as fast as possible, rather than
buffering at SCSI speeds and transferring full speed once SCSI is done.

>Is this with a stock 68k Amiga or some '030?

A 68030 system with a non-DMA controller can get faster transfers across the
A2000 bus.  For example, while the A2630 can run a 560ns cycle out to the
Zorro II bus, it can manage a 200ns cycle, at 32 bits wide, to it's own
memory.  So in theory, you could achieve a rate of 1 byte every 330ns, or
2.89 megabytes/second, though with synchronization delays considered, it'll
be something less than this.  With DMA, the theoretical limit on the A2000
is 3.41 megabytes/second.

>I believe that the method employed here is using a 16 bit wide bus (dubbed
>SCSI II), instead of the former 8 bits.

SCSI II isn't 16 bits wide, it's still 8 bits.  It specifies the SCSI command
set in a much more standardized fashion than original SCSI, and has a fast
synchronous transfer mode capable of 10 megabytes/second.  But it really
doesn't matter what your fastest transfer rate is capable of in a system, the
limit is based on the slowest element in the link, whether that be A2000 bus
transfer speed, SCSI speed, or the hard disk's own speed.

In <2253@impch.imp.com>, rumbo@impch.imp.com (Peter Kunz) writes:
>>The best DiskSpeed performance figures I have seen on an A2000 are about 1.5
>>MegaBYTES/second.
>>
>HOW????

By using the right drive.

>is this a bare bone a2000?
>i have a standard a2000b with 4 megs 16 bit ram added, an a2091 and a quantum
>105s. after adding 256k of buffers to each partition i get 640 kb/s. can this
>be improved?

Yes, but you will need to spend quite a few thousand dollars on a drive capable
of VERY high transfer rates. I don't know the manufacturer or model number of
the drive, but it was a beta version of a new drive from a well known company.
The figure was reported on a thread on Bix.

-larry

--

rumbo@impch.imp.com (Peter Kunz) (09/20/90)

>The best DiskSpeed performance figures I have seen on an A2000 are about 1.5
>MegaBYTES/second.

HOW????
is this a bare bone a2000?
i have a standard a2000b with 4 megs 16 bit ram added, an a2091 and a quantum
105s. after adding 256k of buffers to each partition i get 640 kb/s. can this
be improved?

pete

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep1.231510.10650@agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-1gd@e260-1c (Joon Song) writes:
>I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.  I've read several articles
>claiming that hard disk transfer rates through a SCSI port is as high as
>3.5 meg/sec.  Is this the actual throughput of the hard disk system?

A lot of the numbers I've seen bandied about do not have any qualifiers;
they don't say that they are peak transfer rates instead of sustained rates.

>Suppose a hard disk had 34 sectors/track.  A hard disk spins 60 rev/sec.
>So the fastest disk transfer rate should be:
>    34 sectors/track * 512 bytes/sector * 60 rev/sec = approx. 1 meg/sec.

Imagine a disk controller that is mounted on the disk drive and it has a
buffer big enough for a full track.  Such a device could send 34*512 = 17408
bytes every 1/60th of a second (ignoring the time it takes to switch heads
and assuming it has enough heads per cylinder to be worthwile).  If this
imbedded disk controller waited until it had a full buffer and then blasted
it into the Amiga as fast as the Amiga could handle it, the manufacturer
could brag about having a 3.5 megabytes per second peak transfer rate.

During the 1/60th second, the average transfer speed would be:
  0 bytes/sec for 11.70 milliseconds + 3.5 Mbytes/sec for 4.97 milliseconds
which is only 1.04 megabytes per second.  Including the track-to-track
access times, the sustained transfer rate would be even lower.

discussing high-speed disk performance.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) (09/21/90)

In article <14418@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>SCSI II isn't 16 bits wide, it's still 8 bits.  It specifies the SCSI command
>set in a much more standardized fashion than original SCSI, and has a fast
>synchronous transfer mode capable of 10 megabytes/second.  But it really
>doesn't matter what your fastest transfer rate is capable of in a system, the
>limit is based on the slowest element in the link, whether that be A2000 bus
>transfer speed, SCSI speed, or the hard disk's own speed.

I'm not an expert on SCSI II in any way, but what Dave says here is
contrary to to what I've read about it.  What I've read says that SCSI
II allows bus widths of 1, 2, or 4 bytes.  Using unbalanced tranceivers,
the maximum speed is 5 megatransfers/sec. (synchronous I assume), and 10
megatransfers/sec. using balanced tranceivers.  I dunno if they specify
a slower asynchronous speed or not.

So, a 4 byte wide bus using balanced transceivers could really move some
data (and would really cost quite a few samolians.)

Wish I had a copy of the spec. (it's 600 pages, whew!)

>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"

-hans
  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
  ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com		Customer Support Center
  ...decwrl!elvira.enet!ridder		Colorado Springs, CO

blgardne@javelin.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (09/22/90)

rumbo@impch.imp.com (Peter Kunz) writes:

>>The best DiskSpeed performance figures I have seen on an A2000 are about 1.5
>>MegaBYTES/second.

>HOW????
>is this a bare bone a2000?
>i have a standard a2000b with 4 megs 16 bit ram added, an a2091 and a quantum
>105s. after adding 256k of buffers to each partition i get 640 kb/s. can this
>be improved?

Sure, all you have to do is replace that pokey Quantum with something
like a 1.2 gigabyte Wren VII. The drive alone will only run you $5000 or
so. You might also get similar performance with the cheaper Wren VI or V
for only $3-4000.

As has been stated many times, you're only as fast as the slowest link
in the chain. The Quantum drives are FAR better than the cheaper
Seagates, but they do lag behind the megabuck drives in speed. The best
I've seen personally out of the Q105S is about 900K/sec (DiskSpeed 3.1)
on an A3000. On an A2000 with the A2620 card I've got about 800-850K/sec.

You'll never hit 1.5M/sec with the Quantum, but I would expect you could
get better than 640K/sec. Were you running the test on an unfragmented
(freshly formatted is best) partition? I've seen moderate fragmentation
cut DiskSpeed test results in half.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP                       BIX: blaine_g

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (09/24/90)

Here's an interesting speed result for you demons out there.
When I run Devspeed on my 2091/Quantum 40, I get reads in
the 800-830k range, while my writes are in the 400-450k range.
Talk about a big difference.  The same program on a GVP/Segate
combination gets read/writes in the 650k range.  Oh, the
450k writes are on a freshly formatted partition as well.

--
John  M.  Adams    --**--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (09/24/90)

In article <24541@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>Here's an interesting speed result for you demons out there.
>When I run Devspeed on my 2091/Quantum 40, I get reads in
>the 800-830k range, while my writes are in the 400-450k range.
>Talk about a big difference.  The same program on a GVP/Segate
>combination gets read/writes in the 650k range.  Oh, the
>450k writes are on a freshly formatted partition as well.

That's because of the read-ahead cache of the drive. As the name
says it won't work with writes.

Regards,
--

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (09/25/90)

In article <1245@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de> p554mve@mpirbn.UUCP (Michael van Elst) writes:

>That's because of the read-ahead cache of the drive. As the name
>says it won't work with writes.

Sure, the Quantum has a 64k cache, but I certainly hope that a Quantum
is capable of better than 450k writes when all I've heard is how
a Quantum is one of the best low-end drives.  I also would hope that
a DMA controller like the 2091 is faster than a non-DMA GVP card
using a bloody slow Segate drive.  I'm not satisfied with the
64k cache being the only saving grace of the drive.  I guess I
could drop my Quantum onto his GVP card sometime, although
it would be one heck of a hassle with my parition setup.

Or is GVP compatible with the 2091's RDB?
--
John  M.  Adams    --**--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///
"We'll always be together, together in electric dreams" Tangerine Dream \\V//
Sysop of The Beachside.   FIDOnet 1:3612/557.   904-492-2305  (Florida)  \X/

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (09/26/90)

In article <24562@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>Sure, the Quantum has a 64k cache, but I certainly hope that a Quantum
>is capable of better than 450k writes when all I've heard is how
>a Quantum is one of the best low-end drives.  I also would hope that
>a DMA controller like the 2091 is faster than a non-DMA GVP card
>using a bloody slow Segate drive.  I'm not satisfied with the
>64k cache being the only saving grace of the drive.  I guess I
>could drop my Quantum onto his GVP card sometime, although
>it would be one heck of a hassle with my parition setup.
Well, harddisk timings are a little difficult. There's the 'raw'
data transfer rate from the drive (should be about 930K/sec for the
Quantum) which is the theoretical maximum that can be achieved.
The problem is that you may miss the next sector to read if anything
interrupts the transmission. This can be a step to the next cylinder
or the delay when another SCSI command is sent. What happens ? Without
a cache you'll really miss the next sector and wait a complete revolution
of the disk (thus the sustained data rate will be half of the maximum).

What can be done ? To minimize the delay by the step you can introduce
a track skew so that the next sector to read will just pass under
the read/write head when the heads have settled onto the new track.
Another method is to start reading at an arbitrary sector (which can't
be transmitted yet) into a cache and start transmission when the
right sector has been read. When the track has been read completely the
drive can pump all pre-read sectors with the maximum data rate of the
SCSI Bus. Even this takes some time which can be used to read ahead
some sectors (maybe of another track) so that reading the drive will
be more or less continously and approaches the raw data rate.

Unfortunately, this is a little tricky to do when writing.

>Or is GVP compatible with the 2091's RDB?
Since RDB is a standard :-) any controller that supports RDB should
allow to access any drive that has the RDB written on it.

--

rbabel@babylon.UUCP (Ralph Babel) (09/26/90)

In article <24562@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>
jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:

> Or is GVP compatible with the 2091's RDB?

Yup, version 3.x is.

Ralph

In article <24562@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>In article <1245@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de> p554mve@mpirbn.UUCP (Michael van Elst) writes:
>>
>>That's because of the read-ahead cache of the drive. As the name
>>says it won't work with writes.
>
>Sure, the Quantum has a 64k cache, but I certainly hope that a Quantum
>is capable of better than 450k writes when all I've heard is how
>a Quantum is one of the best low-end drives.  I also would hope that
>a DMA controller like the 2091 is faster than a non-DMA GVP card
>using a bloody slow Segate drive.  I'm not satisfied with the
>64k cache being the only saving grace of the drive.

	The 40's have 16K caches, I think.  The 80's and all the new
generation models (50's, etc) have 64K+ I think.  The Q40S software seems
to have been a bit slow at writes compared to the others.  Q50S's and
Q210S's, and Q105S's seem to get 700-900K/s writes, and slightly faster
reads.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (10/01/90)

>	The 40's have 16K caches, I think.  The 80's and all the new
>generation models (50's, etc) have 64K+ I think.  The Q40S software seems
>to have been a bit slow at writes compared to the others.  Q50S's and
>Q210S's, and Q105S's seem to get 700-900K/s writes, and slightly faster
>reads.

Well, according to A) my 2091 manual, and B) the various config programs
I have which scan all my cards, the Q40S has the same 64k cache.  And
when a buddy put his Q40S on a Kronos and an A2630 card, he
got speeds in the upper 800k on both read and write operations.
I guess I'll get a Kronos since I have a 2058 now.  (Well, once
the AmaxII HD driver is available...)