[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] problem w. Teak floppy drive

re0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ronald William Ely) (09/29/90)

   I just purchases a teak drive real cheap for use as a second internal
drive in my 2000.  Apparently the drive isn't signalling when a disk is
inserted.  Does anyone know if this is a limiting feature of the drive, or did
I screw something up.  Right now it seems to believe there is always a
disk in the drive.. so I can only use it if:
a) I have a disk in it when I boot up, and then I can only use that disk
b) I can format disks in it
c) I can do disk copies

	Any ideas? (aside from "Take it out and use it as a paperweight?")
	Thanks in advance.

		Ron

whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) (10/02/90)

In article <Yb11rIS00Voy4KFERa@andrew.cmu.edu> re0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ronald William Ely) writes:

>   I just purchases a teak drive real cheap for use as a second internal
>drive in my 2000.  Apparently the drive isn't signalling when a disk is
>inserted.  Does anyone know if this is a limiting feature of the drive, or did
>I screw something up.  Right now it seems to believe there is always a

Obviously, teak is not a proper material for disk drives. I would say
Oak or North American Cherry. Sometimes a Maple drive is nice, but beware
of the less expensive pine and fir drives. Too much sap. I know I've had
one too many gooey disks to ever buy another soft pine disk drive.

Glad I could help.

Alan
whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu

olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) (10/02/90)

In article <9628@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) writes:
>In article <Yb11rIS00Voy4KFERa@andrew.cmu.edu> re0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ronald William Ely) writes:
>>
>>   I just purchases a teak drive real cheap for use as a second internal
>Obviously, teak is not a proper material for disk drives. I would say
>Oak or North American Cherry. Sometimes a Maple drive is nice, but beware
>of the less expensive pine and fir drives. Too much sap. I know I've had
>one too many gooey disks to ever buy another soft pine disk drive.
>
>Alan
>whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu
>                 ^^^^^^

 I am surprised you forgot to mention the ever popular local drives,
the Koa, Ohia and everpopular Keawe...

				Todd

--
 olson@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | "When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant
 olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | I could hardly stand to be around him. When I

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/03/90)

whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) writes:

> In article <Yb11rIS00Voy4KFERa@andrew.cmu.edu> re0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ronald W
> >
> >   I just purchases a teak drive real cheap for use as a second internal
> >drive in my 2000.  Apparently the drive isn't signalling when a disk is
> >inserted.  Does anyone know if this is a limiting feature of the drive, or d
> >I screw something up.  Right now it seems to believe there is always a
>
> Obviously, teak is not a proper material for disk drives. I would say
> Oak or North American Cherry. Sometimes a Maple drive is nice, but beware
> of the less expensive pine and fir drives. Too much sap. I know I've had
> one too many gooey disks to ever buy another soft pine disk drive.
>
> Glad I could help.
>
> Alan
> whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu

I think he means "Teac" drives, produced by Teac Corp. of japan.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP