[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] M501 battery problems

vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Paul Vervalin) (10/02/90)

I recently began having problems with the battery backed clock in my Amiga 500.
The clock is in my M501 512K memory expansion board from Microbiotics.  When I
reboot, cold or warm, I get a Battery Backed Clock not found error when I do a
"setclock opt load" from my startup-sequence.  I removed the M501 and checked
the voltage on the battery with my trusty voltmeter and got a reading of 4.25V.
Is this enough?  Should it be 5V?  Is my battery bad or is it something else?
I have owned the M501 and my Amiga for 2.5 years and have never had any problemslike this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
                        vervalin@austin.lockheed.com

joost@neabbs.UUCP (JOOST BOERHOUT) (10/04/90)

In message 458587 <03-10-90 05:58:42> Paul Vervalin writes:
 >I recently began having problems with the battery backed clock in my Amiga 500.
 >The clock is in my M501 512K memory expansion board from Microbiotics.  When I
 >reboot, cold or warm, I get a Battery Backed Clock not found error when I do a
 >"setclock opt load" from my startup-sequence.  I removed the M501 and checked
 >the voltage on the battery with my trusty voltmeter and got a reading of 4.25V.
 >Is this enough?  Should it be 5V?  Is my battery bad or is it something else?
 >I have owned the M501 and my Amiga for 2.5 years and have never had any

4.25 Volts should be enough. It is possible for a malfunctioning task
however, to set the HOLD bit of your clock. This will result in a "Battery
backed Clock not found" error. To reset the clock you can use the following
Basic line:   poke  DC003C,0

- joost -