[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GCR encoding on amiga

martijn@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Reinalda M.) (09/19/90)

I was reading Amiga Intern about the disk controller. It said that is
capable of doing MFM or GCR coding.
I know about MFM, but I've never heard of GCR encoding.

What does GCR stand for ? Is it of any use ? Anyone ?

In article <1411@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> martijn@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Reinalda M.) writes:
>I was reading Amiga Intern about the disk controller. It said that is
>capable of doing MFM or GCR coding.
>I know about MFM, but I've never heard of GCR encoding.

You know when you want to record to a magnetic media you must make sure
that there occur enough magnetization changes per second, even when the
data to be recorded are constant. One way to solve this is to treat
every bit and thus produce an overhead of nearly the double data size.
One way to optimize this a bit is GCR, or Group Code Recording. There
you take your data and cut it into 4-bit pieces (that seems to be the
referred "group") and translate them into 5-bit groups. In these 5-bit
groups you are indeed able to make sure that no more than 3 identical
bits follow in queue for any possible 4-bit input. So this method is
a bit more efficient than MFM.in that it has only 25 % overhead.
But it takes extra hardware (ROM in the old CBM floppies) or software
(slow, like in C64 devices) to decode this.

Provision of GCR on the Amiga is for historical reasons. It was used
in the old CBM floppies from 2020 to 8250 (did you know that Commodore
offered already 1983 floppies with 1 MB capacity each on simple DD disks?)
and on all the C64 compatible floppies. When I'm told correctly, also
Apple used GCR, perhaps in a slightly different way.

In the Amiga, there is one caveat with GCR. For hardware reasons it
must be cut in speed by half and is thus less effective than MFM on
the Amiga drives. So to my knowledge NOBODY uses it on the Amiga, sad.

In article <429@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

>Provision of GCR on the Amiga is for historical reasons. It was used
>in the old CBM floppies from 2020 to 8250 (did you know that Commodore
>offered already 1983 floppies with 1 MB capacity each on simple DD disks?)
>and on all the C64 compatible floppies. When I'm told correctly, also
>Apple used GCR, perhaps in a slightly different way.

The Apple II used a GCR encoding, which was adapted to the Macintosh at a
higher density.  The GCR capability in the Amiga was originally to permit the
use of Apple II floppy disks.  Which tells you just how long ago work on the
Amiga chips began.  This was in the chips before Commodore bought Amiga.  But
by that time, Apple II compatibility wasn't much of an issue.  Being that
the MFM encoding used is quite a bit simpler to encode/decode, Amiga used that
format for the standard Amiga disk, even though many different formats are
possible.

>In the Amiga, there is one caveat with GCR. For hardware reasons it
>must be cut in speed by half and is thus less effective than MFM on
>the Amiga drives. So to my knowledge NOBODY uses it on the Amiga, sad.

Except perhaps "Fruit Friend", or whatever that called that program which
reads Apple II disks.

>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM

martijn@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Reinalda M.) (10/05/90)

thanks !!! Anyone outthere writing a 64 crossdosser ?