[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amiga <==> Diamondscan

asd2@quads.uchicago.edu (Amish Dave) (10/05/90)

Well, the subject says it all. I need a cable from the Amiga to the
Mitsubishi Diamondscan monitor. Or else, I at least need to know how to
make a cable for this purpose.
I am pretty sure this subject has been discussed before, but I am having
trouble finding the thread.

Thanx,
Amish Dave
asd2@quads.uchicago.edu

jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey B Nicholson) (10/05/90)

asd2@quads.uchicago.edu (Amish Dave) writes:

>Well, the subject says it all. I need a cable from the Amiga to the
>Mitsubishi Diamondscan monitor. Or else, I at least need to know how to
>make a cable for this purpose.

I don't have the number, but I've heard Redmond Cable will make a monitor
cable for almost any need.  I dealt with them a long time ago and they
seemed to know what they were doing (or my friend and I got really lucky)
with monitor cables.

>I am pretty sure this subject has been discussed before, but I am having
>trouble finding the thread.

I don't know, but you are probably going to get a flood of messages saying
either what I said, or something with more detail.

>Thanx,
>Amish Dave
>asd2@quads.uchicago.edu

Sure, Dave.
--
+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
| jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu | *These opinions are mine*  This .signature is |

sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) (10/07/90)

In article <1990Oct4.224620.23648@midway.uchicago.edu>, asd2@quads.uchicago.edu (Amish Dave) writes:
> Well, the subject says it all. I need a cable from the Amiga to the
> Mitsubishi Diamondscan monitor. Or else, I at least need to know how to
> make a cable for this purpose.
> I am pretty sure this subject has been discussed before, but I am having
> trouble finding the thread.
>
> Thanx,
> Amish Dave
> asd2@quads.uchicago.edu

I have a message on this somewhere... I don't have the original on disk at
hand, so I'll type in a summary.

DISCLAIMER:  I may make a typing error, and the original post was
seemingly (to me) to be in error, so I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for any
problems you may have!  (You were warned!!!)

Amiga              Diamond Scan

 3                   2
 4                   4
 5                  14
10                  16
16                  ??????

OK, you ask what the "?????" is for?  The original had 1,2,4,15, but I'm
convinced that that's wrong.  I think that I wired it 1,3,5,15 (and this is
more apparent by noticing that 2 and 4 are already connected above, and
from looking at the manual [novel idea ;-]).

(Since 23 pin connectors are not easily at hand, I used a 25 and 9 pin, and
built an "extension" to the cable for my A1080 monitor.  BTW, can anyone find
me a coil for the 1080?  It means the difference between a working
monitor and a hunk of junk.  All I need is a little L404 [from the schematic]
coil, I managed to find a Toshiba replacement for L403, but without L404, it
doesn't do me any good.  :-(  I have placed many MANY calls to Toshiba
and Commodore, with no success.  Any repair shops out there with spare 1080
parts?)

The only problem with my monitor is that when, for example, looking at a fully
open window on work bench, the lines converge (tilt in) as you get to the top.
It's not really bad, just a bit distracting.  Is this to be expected in all
monitors, or should I take it back (since it's still under warantee)?  I'd
say that mostly from about half-way up the screen to the top, it comes in
about the size of one character, on either side.  I've been thinking of
hooking it up to another computer to see if I could tell if it was a monitor
specific problem.

Aside from that, it's a really nice monitor.  I'd like any info on the
"genlock" mode, which seems rather mysterious after reading the manual.  It
sounds as if it's a real genlock though -- is it?

--
Gary Wolfe, SYSOP of the Temporal Vortex BBS                        // Amiga!
..uflorida!unf7!tlvx!sysop, ..unf7!tlvx!sysop@bikini.cis.ufl.edu  \X/  Yeah!