[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 1Meg chip in an A500?

qarl@wucs1.wustl.edu (Karl Stiefvater) (10/08/90)

Hi.  I posted this once before, and received no response. :(.  Anyone
have any ideas?

	Montgomery Grant strikes again.  A friend of mine ordered his new Agnus
	chip through them, after being assured that he would receive full
	instructions on how to install it... Guess what.

	So, if anyone on the net has any idea what jumpers to jump, or traces to
	cut, or anything at all, we'd greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks much in advance,
Anonther victim of Mongomery Grant.

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Oct7.183737.9058@cec1.wustl.edu> qarl@wucs1.wustl.edu (Karl Stiefvater) writes:
>Hi.  I posted this once before, and received no response. :(.  Anyone
>have any ideas?
>
>	Montgomery Grant strikes again.  A friend of mine ordered his new Agnus
>	chip through them, after being assured that he would receive full
>	instructions on how to install it... Guess what.
>
>	So, if anyone on the net has any idea what jumpers to jump, or traces to
>	cut, or anything at all, we'd greatly appreciate the help.
>

>Thanks much in advance,
>Anonther victim of Mongomery Grant.

Unbelievable! The file finder on my hard drive worked! And ... I
found this file! <disclaimer: just because it's on my hard
drive, doesn't mean squat!>

     The new Fatter Agnus chip from CBM is an exciting upgrade to our
already amazing Amigas.  The chip allows owners of Amiga 500s or 2000s
to use one megabyte of memory for chip ram, instead of the previous limit
of 512K.  The new machines are shipping with the Fatter Agnus installed,
but the chip is available for retrofitting existing machines.

     I use my 500 mostly for desktop video.  When I heard about the new
Fatter Agnus, I immediately order it.  When it arrived, I opened my
Amiga and installed the new chip.  When I powered up the machine, much
to my dismay nothing had changed!  The chip had not come with any
instructions, and I could find nothing on the bulliten boards.  Also,
there are no Amiga dealers within 150 miles.  I finally got the info
from W. Howe online.   Here is the method for putting the Fatter Agnus
into an Amiga 500.

     WARNING: This is not a mod for the faint of heart or technically
untrained!!!  Opening the Amiga will void your warranty, and the mod
described below could kill your computer if not properly done!  This
mod requires chip-level soldering.  If you are not comfortable with
this -- get someone to do it who is.  A dealer is still your best bet,
although a good electronics repair shop could do it.

     Now that that's out of the way, here goes.  You need the following
More [Y,n]?
to do this mod:

		Amiga 500 with 512K expansion installed
		(add'l external fast RAM suggested as well)
		Kickstart 1.3 Rom
		Fatter Agnus Chip (p/n 318069-02 , a.k.a. 8372A)
		Grounded, low-wattage soldering iron
		Ass't tools, light-gauge wire, etc.
		(A chip-puller is helpful, and can be
		 rented or bought from Safe Harbor.)

     Still here?  O.K.  First, open the Amiga, remove the keyboard and
the RF shield.  You should be looking at a nicely laid-out circuit board.
Before you touch anything, be sure you ground any static out of your
body by touching a pipe or lamp or use a ground strap.  The components
you are dealing with are VERY sensitive to static, and can literally be
destroyed with a touch.

     If you haven't already installed the Kickstart 1.3 ROM, this is the
time to do it.  Look at the 1.3 ROM in you hand, and locate the old ROM
toward the left side of the motherboard.  The ROM is labeled on the
motherboard, and its p/n is very similar to the new one.  Carefully pull
the old ROM out of its socket, and gently insert the 1.3 ROM in its place.
More [Y,n]?
Be sure that the notch on one end of the chip is at the end of the socket
that has the notch.  The chip should seat evenly and easily.  Check to
make sure none of the pins got bent.

     Now, locate the old Fat Agnus chip.  It is near the center and looks
just like the Fatter Agnus.  It too is labeled on the motherboard.  The
trick here is to pull the old chip without damaging the socket.  If you
have a chip puller, locate the slits on either corner of the socket and
put the prongs of the puller in them.  Use a gentle rocking motion to
loosen the chip and remove it from the socket.  If you do not have a
chip puller, find a small, flat-blade jewelers screwdriver.  Using the
slits in the socket, gently pry first one side, then the other until
the chip comes loose.  Be very careful with this socket -- having it
replaced will cost big $$$!!!

     Next, look for a dot in the center of one side of the socket.  This
dot will line up with the dot on the side of the Fatter Agnus.  Align
these dots, and gently press the new Agnus into place.  It, too, should
seat evenly and easily.

     Now the fun starts.  You need to make two small modifications
to the motherboard.  First, locate the 68000 chip near the left edge
of the board.  Just to the right of this chip are three solder pads
More [Y,n]?
marked JP2.  The two bottom pads are connected together.  With a sharp
knife, carefully cut the trace between the bottom two pads.  Be sure
not to cut any other traces.  You now need to connect the top two
pads together.  You should be able to put a "blob" of solder between
them.

     The final modification is made to the Gary chip.  Pin 32 of the chip
controls the 512k internal RAM expansion.  This pin must be disconnected
from the EXRAM line and tied to +5 volts.  The easiest way to do this
is to remove the Gary chip from the socket.  With the notch at the left
end of the chip, the lower left pin is pin #1.  Going counter-clockwise
around the chip count up to pin 32.  When you are certain you have found
pin 32, gently bend it straight out from the chip with a pliers.  Line
up the notch with the socket and gently insert the chip.  Pin 32 should
be sticking out from the side of the chip.

     Locate a source of +5 volts on the board.  I used the three small
solder pads located on the motherboard just to the left of pin 32 of
the Gary chip.  The schematics in your manual can help you.

     I used a piece of 30 gauge Kynar wire-wrap wire to connect pin 32
to the solder pads.  Any similar wire will work.  Solder one end of the
wire to the solder pads using as little heat as possible.  Work quickly.
More [Y,n]?
Connect the other end of the wire to pin 32, and solder.  Again, use as
little heat as possible.

     Now you can put the RF shield, keyboard and cover back together.
If you have been using FastMemFirst in your startup sequence, you should
delete it.  Be sure to use "SetPatch r" if you are using RAD:.  When you
boot the machine, type "Avail" from the CLI.  There is the result of
your time and money -- one megabyte of chip RAM!!!  Congrats!

Chris J. Prudhomme, Duluth, MN, USA

Plink = Vid-chris
Genie = C.Prudhomme
CServ = 75756,2670

Again, what you do hacking up you 'Amy... is your business..
you asked for help, my son, and you hath received! IN ABUNDANCE!

Now! If someone wants to give me a hack to get PAL/NTSC hardwire
switch for the 500/2000 I would be a most happy camper!

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu

-Come and take a ride on the Scheme train...