[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Seagate spin up problem

gdunlap@csuchico.edu (RANZEROX) (10/06/90)

     Thanks to all who have replied about my "sticky" Seagate.  The
problem apparently is due to excess lubricant collecting in the park zone
and causing the heads to stick to the platters;  an interlock mechanism
prevents the drive from spinning up if the heads can't unpark, but
physically turning the motor frees the heads, allows them to unpark, and allows
the motor to spin up.
     I suppose I'll just follow the suggestion that I leave the thing on all the
time, although spinning the thing up by hand has become a ritual. (I insert
the plastic end of a pen/letter-opener in between the circuit board and
the main chassis and push the motor around - it'll usualy start spinning on
its own right then)
     My warranty is either up or just about up (I bought the thing late last
October, during but not at the Santa Clara Ami-Expo); I'll look into it.
     Thanks again!!

| .  _________  .      _____  .                                             |
|.. /  ______/\  . .  /  _  \   |Greg Dunlap, CSUChico                   ///|
|  /  /\_____\/ .    /  /\\  \ .|Email: gdunlap@cscihp.csuchico.edu     /// |
| /  / /. .____  .  /  / /.\  \ |Disclaimer: Who the hell cares?    \\\///  |
|/  / /.  /  _/\   /  / /. /  /\|Obligatory Quote:                   \XX/   |
|\  \/____/ /\_/ ./  /____/  / /|    "Intuition, however illogical, is      |
|.\________/ /.. /__________/ /.| recognized as a command perogative."      |
| .\_______\/.  .\__________\/ .|  -- Kirk, "Obsession", stardate 3620.7    |
|___________________________________________________________________________|

In article <1990Oct05.211042.8671@ecst.csuchico.edu> gdunlap@csuchico.edu (RANZEROX) writes:

>     Thanks to all who have replied about my "sticky" Seagate.  The
>problem apparently is due to excess lubricant collecting in the park zone
>and causing the heads to stick to the platters;  an interlock mechanism
>prevents the drive from spinning up if the heads can't unpark

Hmm, just an idea that came to me:
How about mounting the drive on its side or if this doesn't help,
on the other side? I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the parking area
is in the middle, so the lubricant can only get there when the drive is
lying flat in the case. Or am I totally wrong???

peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) in <480@cbmger.UUCP> writes:

	Hmm, just an idea that came to me:
	How about mounting the drive on its side or if this doesn't help,
	on the other side? I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the parking area
	is in the middle, so the lubricant can only get there when the drive is
	lying flat in the case. Or am I totally wrong???

Please see my other post today re: mounting orientation of Seagate drives.

As for the lubricant migrating to the park area only when the drive is "flat",
these chemicals are "wicked" and don't behave in an intuitive manner.  The
materials have to be examined at the molecular level and that means chemistry
and physics almost approaching the art of voodoo and black magic!  :-)

Per my lengthy postings on this subject last year, the proprietary chemicals
are closely-guarded secrets of each HD mfg. company and the chemicals almost
seem to have a life of their own.  Microscopic observation shows them forming
nearly mono-molecular layering, and examination of a drive with stiction shows
the characteristic "white worms" effect of too much lube; the chemicals are
not thixotropic but are, instead, viciously viscous.

Perhaps someday I'll write a mag article on this subject since I do have all
the details and photos, but I'm still a bit miffed by the outright plagiarism
of my net-articles from this newsgroup (appearing in one Amiga-related mag);
another lesson learned.  Sigh.  :-(

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]