[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] WangTek 150MB tape drive for $480

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (10/14/90)

Where?  Why at a place in Mountain View CA called "Computel" (415) 964-2600.

They sell it with IBM PC/?? controller & software for $595 but I
said I didn't need any of that stuff and so got the $480 price.

Now ... before I leap into doing this, what chance is there of
actually pulling this off?  I have a 2090A controller right now
and I'm already prepared to switch to the new GVP board and add a
40-meg quantum into the deal.  GVP sells a complete system with
cables and so forth and so on for $639 (price from Creative Computers
ad in AmigaWhirled).

What's in the extra $150 that can screw me up?  Maybe nothing since
an external case+power supply can easily run that much.  (I already
have one -- a pc-clone box)

Does GVP include a software controller for the device? I know about
SCSI-Direct -- that just lets a program send SCSI commands directly
to the SCSI bus, right?  Doesn't automatically mean "controls a tape".

Which means it's very likely that it does include a device driver.
But does the device driver do any more than what was posted
in comp.{binaries,sources}.amiga the other day?

The cabling I expect to be pretty easy.  The WT-150 is an SCSI tape
drive .. Possibly everything I'd need is over at Fry's Electronics
or Weird Stuff Warehouse..
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Toad) (10/14/90)

In article <8082@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>Where?  Why at a place in Mountain View CA called "Computel" (415) 964-2600.
>
>40-meg quantum into the deal.  GVP sells a complete system with
>cables and so forth and so on for $639 (price from Creative Computers
>
>What's in the extra $150 that can screw me up?  Maybe nothing since
>
>Which means it's very likely that it does include a device driver.
>But does the device driver do any more than what was posted
>in comp.{binaries,sources}.amiga the other day?

Nope, just comes with the autoboot eeproms, TapeStore, a blank tape, and no
cable.  TapeStore does work fine on my 2091, I am currently running version
2.0t (I think).  I do believe GVP will sell the TapeStore software seperate
from their controllers and the tape drive, give them a call and ask.

I have yet to try the posted device driver, will probably do that later to-
night or tomorrow.

					Todd

>--
><- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
><- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>
--
 olson@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | "When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant
 olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | I could hardly stand to be around him. When I

maltasr@csusac (Robert Maltas) (10/15/90)

When I called Creative Computers 2 weeks ago, they offered me the WT150 for
$600 and 4 California Access-880 drives for $98 each. Better yet, I called
Safe Harbor and asked them if they could match the price (so I could avoid
paying $70 in sales tax). They did. Even though they didn't have the
Wangtek in stock, they ordered one from GVP and shipped it along with the
CA-880 drives in less than 2 weeks. I believe they (Safe Harbor) advertised
the CA-880 drive at $129.

The point I am making is simple: Ask them up-front "What is the BEST deal
you can offer me for such-and-such item?" Also, if you get a good price
quote from one place, mention it to the next mail-order firm you call to
see if they can beat it (or in my case, match it).

Otherwise, expect to pay the full advertised price.
--
    ///
\\\///    UUCP    : {ucdavis|lll-crg}!csusac!maltasr