[net.space] "Throwing Stuff Out The Back"

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:jennings@AEROSPACE.ARPA (06/13/85)

From: Richard K. Jennings <jennings@AEROSPACE.ARPA>

	If we use a Hydrogen (or perhaps stellar) ramjet, we wouldn't
have to carry the mass a long.  Barring an enlighted government which
understands, and funds, the importance of electrogravitics, the only
way man can approach light speed in the near future is by some type
of ram-jet technology.
	For the record, another approach worth consideration is to
build a huge solar sail which is very rugged and resistant to heat,
and fly very close to the sun.  Another technique which does not
require the expenditure of ship energy to accelerate propellant.
	I would conclude that in the context of this star probe
discussion, "throwing stuff out the back" (that you have carried along)
*is* obsolete in contrast to Noel Chiappa's comments.

Rich.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (06/18/85)

> From: Richard K. Jennings <jennings@AEROSPACE.ARPA>
>
> 	If we use a Hydrogen (or perhaps stellar) ramjet, we wouldn't
> have to carry the mass a long.  Barring an enlighted government which
> understands, and funds, the importance of electrogravitics, the only
> way man can approach light speed in the near future is by some type
> of ram-jet technology.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is 'electrogravitics'?
--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)