[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] NeWS

In <6839@sugar.hackercorp.com>, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Well, I seem to recall an AmigaOS implementation being hung up on some sort
>of licensing issues. How does that fit in with the "Open" bit?

I am not sure of the details of the Ameristar port, and why it was hung up, but
I can tell you that Sun did not charge any sort of fee whatsoever for
implementations of NeWS that were completely developed from the spec. The only
charges made for an implementation would have been levied if the Sun source
code itself were used, and the charges would have been for a NeWS source
license. This, to me, seems reasonable, and is similar to what you might expect
from a shareware package (1 price for the executables, additional for the
binary, and no charge for writing a clone of it). 'Open' doesn't necessarily
mean that you give away your work.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) (10/20/90)

In article <6839@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Well, I seem to recall an AmigaOS implementation being hung up on some sort
>of licensing issues. How does that fit in with the "Open" bit?
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
><peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

We had a working version of NeWS running on the Amiga shortly after Sun
released NeWS (ie pre NeWS 1.1 days).  Our port was an engineering prototype;
it was never released as a product.

					Rick Spanbauer
					Ameristar