[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP series II - does it need 1.3 ROM?

dlundy@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (Dave.Lundy) (09/25/90)

I just received the GVP series II hard disk controller & Quantum 100MB
disk that I had ordered at a recent computer show.  When I asked the
salesman about transferring the contents of my 40MB Seagate drive on
my 2090 (not A) controller in my 2000, he said no problem, just plug
in the GVP board & copy the files.

After plugging in the GVP board (which was strapped for Autoboot) &
turning on the Amiga, I was greeted by a flashing power LED & precious
little else. :-(  I powered down, removed the Autoboot jumper from the
GVP board, & tried again.  This time I was able to boot normally.  But
when I tried to "prep" the new drive (whether booting from my disk or
the GVP floppy disk) prep failed.  One of the possible causes was
"Autoboot mode".  Since the 2090 can't autoboot, I never bothered to
upgrade to the 1.3 CBM ROM.  I couldn't find any mention of ROM requirement
in the GVP manual, but I suspect that is the culprit.

Can someone verify this?  Also, once prepped, can it be used with 1.2 ROM?
I don't want to buy the 1.3 ROM if 2.0 will be available in a month or
two.

Thanks,
Dave
--
Dave Lundy      --       System Technician
NCR Corp., EMD-4         (513) 445-7337

jmeissen@ogicse.ogi.edu (John Meissen) (09/25/90)

In article <1117@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM> dlundy@emdeng.UUCP (Dave.Lundy) writes:
>I just received the GVP series II hard disk controller & Quantum 100MB
>disk that I had ordered at a recent computer show.  When I asked the
>salesman about transferring the contents of my 40MB Seagate drive on
>my 2090 (not A) controller in my 2000, he said no problem, just plug
>in the GVP board & copy the files.

    [scenario deleted]

>Can someone verify this?  Also, once prepped, can it be used with 1.2 ROM?
>I don't want to buy the 1.3 ROM if 2.0 will be available in a month or
>two.

The new GVP controller works fine with V1.2 ROMS. All that needs to be
done is to remove the autoboot jumper on the board. However, don't
expect to read your 2090-formatted drive with the GVP controller. You
will have to backup your drive, prep and format with GVP's FaaastPrep
utility, and then restore the data. I followed this procedure and have
it running quite well with V1.2.
Unfortunately, if you didn't know this and you sent your 2090 to them
as part of the trade-up offer without first doing a backup, then you
will have to find someone willing to loan you theirs.

--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

dooley@utkux1.utk.edu (Kevin Dooley) (10/16/90)

In article <865@ki.UUCP> dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
>In article <1117@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM> dlundy@emdeng.UUCP (Dave.Lundy) writes:
>>I just received the GVP series II hard disk controller & Quantum 100MB
>> ... stuff deleted ...
>>After plugging in the GVP board (which was strapped for Autoboot) &
>>turning on the Amiga, I was greeted by a flashing power LED & precious
>>little else.
>> ... more stuff deleted ...
>>Dave Lundy      --       System Technician
>>NCR Corp., EMD-4         (513) 445-7337
>>Dayton, OH 45479         ncrlnk!emdeng!dlundy
>
>I too just received one of these little buggers.  Mine has a 40MB Quantum.
>I also ordered 2MB to install on it.  I too couldn't get mine to boot.
>I got as far as the grey screen, and then it'd flash the power led and
>reboot.  This would go on forever.  I called GVP and they tought the
>problem was with the RAM. So, I removed that.  I had also just removed
>the auto-boot strap during my flailing about.  Lo and behold, I was able
>to boot and prep the drive.  Next, I put the RAM back in, changed the
>straps to tell it about the RAM and tried to boot (without the autoboot
>since I too only have 1.2 ROMS in my A2000).  No boot.  Stops at a grey
>screen.  I took the RAM out, cleaned the edge connectors with head cleaner
>and tried again.  This time it booted, but shortly after the startup
>started, I got a visit from Mr Guru.  I tried three times, each with a
>different number for the first part of the guru.  I got 3, 4, and A followed
>by the same number (don't have it handy).  Took out the RAM, put back the
>RAM straps to say no memory, and it boots just fine.  Ah well....
>
>Next thing, I put my 8UP! DIP (which has 2MB installed) and put it back
>into the A2000 (I try to play with as few variables at a time as possible).
>Alas, when I turn on the system, I get stuck at a grey screen.  Pull the
>8UP! out, and it boots fine.  I tried putting the 8UP! closer to the
>internal drives and with the GVP way out in the leftmost slot.  Still not
>boot.
>
>I'm stuck.  Anyone have any ideas?  I'm calling GVP back tomorrow and see
>if they can help.  Their previous help was pretty good.
>
>My configuration:
>
>   A2000, Rev 4.1 motherboard
>   2 internal 3.5 floppies (one is the origonal, the other is an NEC)
>   8UP! DIP with 2MB installed
>   Commodore Ethernet board
>   AMax
>
>Any help is appreciated.  I'll let everyone know what happens after I talk
>to GVP tomorrow.  Hopefully they'll have some words of wisdom :-)
>
>Dan
>--
>#####################################################################
># CompuServe: >INTERNET:uunet.UU.NET!ki!dwatts    Dan Watts         #
># UUCP      : ...!{uunet | wgc386}!ki!dwatts      Ki Research, Inc. #
>############### New Dimensions In Network Connectivity ##############

I had a similar experience with my new GVP hd.  The answer is that if you
have the autoboot rom, and you want to use it, you need 1.3 roms.  I was
told when I ran back to my dealer in a panic that I could have still used
the thing under 1.2 if I had disabled the autoboot jumper on the GVP card.
Also, be careful putting in and removing the SIMMS because ait will not
work if the RAM jumpers are not set correctly.  My short answer is 'check
your jumpers'.  My long answer is 'get the 1.3 roms, you'll want them anyway'.
Hope this helps.
		Kevin Dooley

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct15.205233.13632@cs.utk.edu> dooley@utkux1.utk.edu (Kevin Dooley) writes:

>...  I was
>told when I ran back to my dealer in a panic that I could have still used
>the thing under 1.2 if I had disabled the autoboot jumper on the GVP card.
>Also, be careful putting in and removing the SIMMS because ait will not
>work if the RAM jumpers are not set correctly.  My short answer is 'check
>your jumpers'.  My long answer is 'get the 1.3 roms, you'll want them anyway'.
>Hope this helps.
>		Kevin Dooley

Thanks, but it doesn't.  The jumpers are all correct, autobooting off (1.2
ROMS), RAM jumpers okay.  Still doesn't work.  Apparently, GVP didn't bother
to tell customers the thing only works with 1.3 ROMS.  Sure, any 2000 out there
should have the 1.3 ROMS by now, but why go out and buy them now with 2.0 so
close?

My question is:  what about the A500 Series II card?  I can imagine a goodly
number of 500 users don't have the autobooting ROM.  So will this beast work
at all on most of the 500s out there?

Okay, maybe I'm an idiot for not having 1.3 ROMS.  But GVP shoulda said some-
thing, IMHO.

Dave Hopper      |      ///  Yesterday, CS.           | Academic Info Resources
                 |     ///    Today, Anthropology.    | Mac & UNIX Consultant
bard@jessica.    | \\\///                             | "Somebody get me a job
   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Tomorrow... bleeding ulcers. | with a computer I LIKE"

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org ( Staff OACIS) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct16.002746.21061@portia.Stanford.EDU> bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) writes:
>.............................................  Apparently, GVP didn't bother
>to tell customers the thing only works with 1.3 ROMS.  Sure, any 2000 out there
>should have the 1.3 ROMS by now, but why go out and buy them now with 2.0 so
>close?

The GVP Series-II board works fine with 1.2 ROMS. I have one of the new boards,
I never got 1.3 ROMS, and once I pulled the autoboot jumper the board worked
just fine.

Your problem could be any number of things, including a bad slot (did you try
different expansion slots? My A2000 would only work reliably with certain boards
in certain slots), bad RAM (try pulling the RAM and re-configuring the board jumpers),
or even a bad controller.

I can tell you for certain, it's NOT because you have 1.2 ROMS.

--

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (10/21/90)

In article <36@oregon.oacis.org> jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org ( Staff OACIS) writes:

>The GVP Series-II board works fine with 1.2 ROMS. I have one of the new boards
>I never got 1.3 ROMS, and once I pulled the autoboot jumper the board worked
>just fine.
[...]
>in certain slots), bad RAM (try pulling the RAM and re-configuring the board jumpers),
>
>I can tell you for certain, it's NOT because you have 1.2 ROMS.
>--
>John Meissen ............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute

Thanks for all the help, to everyone who replied.
We pulled the RAM, and it worked fine.  I had heard from other people with a
similar problem, and the same solution.  I don't *think* the RAM is bad.
Anyone else have similar problems?

cavalier@portia.Stanford.EDU (Jason Stinson) (10/21/90)

In article <36@oregon.oacis.org> jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org ( Staff OACIS) writes:

>The GVP Series-II board works fine with 1.2 ROMS. I have one of the new boards
>I never got 1.3 ROMS, and once I pulled the autoboot jumper the board worked
>just fine.

>I can tell you for certain, it's NOT because you have 1.2 ROMS.
>John Meissen ............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute

I never quite caught whether John has any RAM installed on his gvp or
not.  Does anyone out there have 1.2 ROMs, gvp series II, AND RAM installed
on it?  There have been at least three people who've posted with the above
configuration that didn't work.  It'd be awful nice if it did.

thanks,
jcs

p.s. Hopper should get a life...

ath@lcs.mit.edu (Andrew Heybey) (10/22/90)

In article <1990Oct20.221647.12450@portia.Stanford.EDU> bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) writes:

   Thanks for all the help, to everyone who replied.
   We pulled the RAM, and it worked fine.  I had heard from other people with a
   similar problem, and the same solution.  I don't *think* the RAM is bad.
   Anyone else have similar problems?

I have 1.3 ROMs, and so can't speak to the 1.2 vs 1.3 problem, but I
do have experience with RAM.

I just attempted to install 4MB of SIMMs on my new GVP board.  They
didn't work.  I called GVP, and they said that there had been some
reported problems with "cheap SIMMs".  The person I talked to at GVP
said that SIMMs from the following companies are known to work:
Motorola, Samsung, and Hitech (sp?).  The company from which I bought
the SIMMs sent me another 4MB, and they didn't work either.  I am
going to return them, and try another company.

The SIMMs that didn't work for me are from TechnologyWorks in Austin,
TX.  They are labeled as made in the USA, and have a "MT" logo on them
(don't know what company that stands for).  Incidentally, besides the
small detail that the SIMMs didn't work, TechnologyWorks has given me
excellent service.  (How do you make a wry smiley?)  They shipped the
second set out overnight, and have promised a pre-paid mailing label
to send the bad ones back.

My guess is that someone is playing fast and loose with the
specs.  Either GVP (it happened to work with their "expensive SIMMs")
or the manufacturers of "cheap SIMMs" (which happen to be good enough
to work in a Mac).

andrew
--
Andrew Heybey, ath@ptt.lcs.mit.edu, uunet!ptt.lcs.mit.edu!ath