[net.space] Space propulsion

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:FIRTH@TL-20B.ARPA (06/13/85)

From: FIRTH@TL-20B.ARPA

Here is a short list of ideas for space propulsion systems
that don't rely on taking stuff along and throwing it out
the back.  They range from the serious to the silly, and they
are all based on recollections of other people's work.

(1) Dean drive.  The assumption is that Newton's Third Law is
    wrong, and some combination of cams, levers, balls, cogwheels
    and electric drills will exhibit spontaneous motion.  The
    problem is that people seem to have studied Dean drives quite
    extensively and they really don't work.  This represents in
    my view the "silly" end of the spectrum

All other systems rely on using something already out there.  We
have four choices

(2) Bussard ramjet.  That is, we use the mass found in space as fuel
    or reaction mass.  The main problems are that the mass so dilute
    that we need fairly large scoops to collect it.  But that is an
    engineering problem, not one of principle.  This is I think the
    system most likely to work.

(3) Light sail.  The trouble is, there isn't enough light.  We need
    either an enormous sail or some space-based lasers.  I don't like
    the idea of space-based lasers - too dangerous and too much a
    "brute force" solution.

(4) Magnetic propulsion.  Useful only for the inner system, ie within
    the solar magnetosphere.  The energy is there, it's just a question
    of harnessing it somehow.

(5) Gravitic propulsion.  This one is really way out.  Currently, we have
    absolutely no idea how to interact with a gravity field in any
    controlled manner.  The interaction must be possible - inded, Hawking
    radiation is created by the breakdown of the vacuum under intense
    gravitic stress - but we lack an adequate theory.  Also, it's not
    clear what the energy flux would be.  If you believe Mach's principle,
    then a ship could use the entire mass of the universe to power a
    gravity drive.

Frankly, I'd like to see work on all four of the above.  Or do we wait
for an outsider ship to sell us one in exchange for Jupiter?

Robert Firth
-------

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (06/18/85)

> From: FIRTH@TL-20B.ARPA
>
> Here is a short list of ideas for space propulsion systems
> that don't rely on taking stuff along and throwing it out
> the back.  They range from the serious to the silly, and they
> are all based on recollections of other people's work.

Sigh, this must be my day for being dense.

> (5) Gravitic propulsion.  This one is really way out.  Currently, we have
>     absolutely no idea how to interact with a gravity field in any
>     controlled manner.  The interaction must be possible - inded, Hawking
>     radiation is created by the breakdown of the vacuum under intense
>     gravitic stress - but we lack an adequate theory.  Also, it's not

Who was Hawkin and what is this radiation?  How can a vacuum breakdown?
It is a trace of something in the vacuum, or do you really mean
that the empty space itself breaks down?

>     clear what the energy flux would be.  If you believe Mach's principle,
>     then a ship could use the entire mass of the universe to power a
>     gravity drive.

Who is Mach, and what is his principle?  Did I sleep through the
wrong physics lecture or something?  None of these names is familiar
to me (unless Mach also is the guy who gave us mach numbers ... )

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)