[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Syquest 555 and R/W errors

mohabir@arisia.Xerox.COM (Daniel A. Mohabir) (10/09/90)

I have a problem with a Syquest 555 removable-media drive that I think is
unusual. First, my setup. I have an A2000 with 4 megs of fast ram, 1 meg of
chip ram. a Hardframe 2000 SCSI controller, 2 Quantum 40 meg drives,
flickerFixer, and a Syquest 555 drive. The Syquest drives works great. I
can write to it and read from it with no problems until I write-protect
the cartridge. Then I get R/W errors whenever I open the partition from
workbench. All the files appear on the Workbench screen, but I get R/W
errors if I also open any drawers on the partition. I get no errors if I
use the CLI. Does anyone know what is happening here. Is it a Hardframe
problem? Thanks for any insight to this problem. It is not a real major
problem because everything works fine if the cartridge is not write-protected.

--
|******************************|*****************|********************|
|  Daniel A. Mohabir           |  Phone:         |  Amiga.            |

IO92257@MAINE.BITNET (10/11/90)

When drawers are opened on the workbench, doesn't the OS write something
to the disk....some kind of info or something?  It doesn't do it when
a floppy is write-protected, but maybe on your hard-disk the message
that it's write protected doesn't get across. (I mean what computer has
ever heard of a write-protected hard disk?)
Am I right on this, folks?

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/23/90)

There's a program in the c: directory called "lock", I believe (never
used the sucker) that provides a virtual write-protect for hard drives.
Of course anyone who knows enough about the Amiga could easily bypass
this.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (10/24/90)

In article <16ZgR5w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>There's a program in the c: directory called "lock", I believe (never
>used the sucker) that provides a virtual write-protect for hard drives.

Actually, it gives a virtual write-protect on the FFS, not on the drive.
Hence, direct I/O (via SCSIdirect or hddisk.device) still goes out to
the drive and can write it, including the "format" command. -- Darren
--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,