[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] CALL FOR LOCAL DISCUSSION Revision 2: Split the c.s.a group more?

There's a LOT of this, PLEASE read it ALL before posting responses.

BOILERPLATE RANTING - you've seen the "why", here's just the "what":

THIS IS _NOT_ THE TIME TO VOTE (though I will accept proxies).

PLEASE NOTE AND RESPECT THE FOLLOWUP-TO LINE.

PLEASE USE THIS THREAD SUBJECT WHEN RESPONDING.

PLEASE BE PATIENT. Going public 1 Nov 1990, and NOT before.

Thanks  to  those  who  have  already  emailed/posted  many  excellent
suggestions.  The  rest  of  you  too.  ;-)

PLEASE EMAIL suggestions to me, post also if of general interest.

LITTLE TIN DICTATOR MODE: sometimes _I_ decide, when that's the only way.

YOUR SITE IS NOT THE UNIVERSE!  Other sites REQUIRE a split!  COOPERATE!

NEW RANTS:

Subgroups are based on posting volume, not quality. Please  don't  waste
your time and mine telling me group X doesn't deserve to  exist  because
"it's junk". I know it's junk! That's exactly  why  i  want  to  put  it
somewhere most of the subscribers can avoid it! The  volume  _won't_  go
away  by  itself,  wish  though  you  may,  inveigh  though  you  do.

I should have put this in the first proposal;  live  and  learn.  Please
catch up on the group before responding, to be sure you're answering the
most recent revision! A week after the first revision, I'm still getting
comments  on  revision  zero.  Sigh.

END RANT MODE.

To simplify  things,  a  list  of  the  proposed  groups  with  a  brief
description  is  first,  and  the  extensive  discussion  follows.

                                  PROPOSAL

                          comp.sys.amiga.misc

Replaces c.s.a; general talk group.

                        comp.sys.amiga.announce

Moderated: FF-disks, meetings, new products, product updates,  shareware
releases,  uploads  to  archives,  bug  reports,  etc.

                        comp.sys.amiga.reviews

Moderated, archived: where to put your formally written  up  impressions
of new stuff: hardware and freeware, shareware,  or  commercial  serious
and  game  software.

                      comp.sys.amiga.introduction

Frequently asked questions, how to use the groups,  and  other  standard
and slow expiring postings, also new users' questions and the answers to
them  from  sympathetic  gurus  go  here.

                        comp.sys.amiga.hardware

Hardware developers', hobbiests', and users' shop  talk  and  assistance
forum.

                       comp.sys.amiga.programmer

(Renames .tech) Software developers'  and  programming  hobbiests'  shop
talk  and  assistance  forum.

                         comp.sys.amiga.games

Talking about buying and playing games; archival quality  games  reviews
go to .reviews, but discussions go on here; "used games forsale" ads  go
to  .market.

                       comp.sys.amiga.multimedia

Graphics, video, music, speech, and multimedia combinations.

                      comp.sys.amiga.applications

The   rest  of   the   applications   software   discussions:   business
productivity, desk top  publishing,  personal  finance,  fonts,  printer
drivers, word processing, utilities, hacks, etc.  Commercial,  shareware
and freeware non-games, non-multimedia software applications  talk.  How
to  use,  how  to  interface,  and  so  on.

                         comp.sys.amiga.market

Talk about and personal ads about  buying  and  selling  stuff  for  the
Amiga. Where to find, who to  buy  from,  who  to  avoid,  good  prices,
product  ratings.

                       comp.sys.amiga.emulations

Discussions of the several hardware and  software  emulations  of  other
computers (Mac, IBM-PC, Atari, C64, Apple 2 series, ...) that run  on/in
(software/hardware  emulations,  respectively)  the  Amiga.

                       comp.sys.amiga.influence

All the "here's what the  other  folks  are  doing  and  how  the  Amiga
compares" postings; benchmarks; discussions  of  future  goals  for  the
Amiga,  rumors,  general  "do  it  better"  ranting.

                        comp.sys.amiga.datacomm

Terminal emulators, networking, using and passing archives,  downloading
and uploading, archive site pointers, general machine to machine  stuff.

                            comp.unix.amiga

Amiga Minix and Unix SYSV4 and successors, all aspects.

                                DISCUSSION

1) Changes from last proposal.
------------------------------

Many of the descriptions got cleaned up.

There was a lot of recent support for  .telecomm,  it  got  back  in  as
.datacomm, a name that describes the archiving part of  the  contents  a
little  better,  while  still  evoking  the  .telecomm  idea  as  well.

With the help of a thesaurus, .compare is now .influence,  a  name  that
better captures the .futures and the  .ranting  aspects  of  the  group.

All Unix discussion, including the stuff that might  have  ended  up  in
.tech, is now in comp.unix.amiga;  comments?  If  the  existing  product
takes off, that group can be split in turn. I tossed Minix in there too;
comments?

2) Some chat about the proposed groups and their names and placement.

                          comp.sys.amiga.misc

This is the net standard "chat"  subgroup  name  for  groups  that  have
leafed. By creating this and removing c.s.a as a target for postings, we
force an immediate upgrade across the net; the proposal, once newgrouped
and rmgrouped, can't be "put off for later". This  also  has  some  news
software and general tidiness niceness for users; there won't be a group
that contains both articles and directories, so scripts can be  simpler.
Post here to reach general c.s.a.* readership, rather than  crossposting
to several other subgroups, if at all possible. This will be a  big  win
for all subscribers. The intention of having so many subgroups  is  that
this group be small, not large, so that everyone can afford to read  it.
Whenever  possible,  post  to  a  single,  more  specific  group.

                        comp.sys.amiga.announce

This seems highly popular; it will probably  be  the  most  read  group.
Think  of  it  as  the  executive  summary  of  c.s.a.*.

                        comp.sys.amiga.reviews

This seemed highly popular, also. Having it  archived  should  make  the
search for information on products easier and faster,  and,  if  we  can
educate c.s.a.* subscribers to look there first, cut down on  a  lot  of
postings.

                      comp.sys.amiga.introduction

This name seems fairly well accepted now,  modulo  a  couple  of  people
who'd like the shorter .intro. Per my previous plan, I want to use  full
English  words  where  no  prior  standard  exists,  for  the  sake  of
subscribers in non-English speaking countries. The  FAQ  postings  could
also go to .announce, but I think  having  them  here  with  the  newbie
"help"  interaction  is  best  placement.

                      comp.sys.amiga.applications

This name seems popular, again modulo the slow typists.

                        comp.sys.amiga.hardware

This should get a little more of its appropriate traffic now that  .tech
is renamed and c.s.a is going away. This is one of my  favorite  groups,
because it is one whose content I rarely read, and I can find the things
I do want to  read  just  by  reading  the  subject  lines.  While  it's
dreadfully unfair to have one hardware  group  and  all  these  software
groups, the fact of the matter is that the number of folks competent  to
hack  hardware  is  much  smaller.

                       comp.sys.amiga.programmer

Renames  .tech;  this  should   eliminate  the  stuff  appropriate   for
.hardware,  while  still   focusing  the   discussion   around  software
develop{ers,ment}. This name seems most popular,  though  ".programming"
has been suggested a couple of times. I think there is precedent in some
other  microcomputer  groups  for  the  current  choice.

                         comp.sys.amiga.games

My baby! ;-) Needs to propagate a little better  to  match  the  current
c.s.a   distribution,  and  I'm   trying  to  get   in  touch  with  the
amiga-relay@udel.edu folks to get the relay subdivided, so  games  stuff
from them doesn't end up in c.s.a; this is another  reason  to  newgroup
c.s.a.misc and nuke c.s.a. Anyway, the current success at damping  games
postings to c.s.a shows what a good idea partitioning  c.s.a  is;  there
are lots of people using this group, but also lots joyful _not_ to  read
its  contents  any  more.

                         comp.sys.amiga.market

My name choice here  seems  to  have  slipped  by  with  only  a  little
grumbling. Yea! Some still suggest using the netwide forsale group,  but
1) no one does, 2) this will get the ads out of  .misc  by  creating  an
obvious correct place to put them, 3) there  will  be  a  lot  of  Amiga
specific vendor discussions here. Please DO NOT crosspost to _any_ other
newsgroup;  that's  obnoxious  and  you'll  get  flamed,  deservedly.

                       comp.sys.amiga.multimedia

There was a little support  for  shredding  this  out  into  multimedia,
graphics, music, video, speech, but there was more opposition; for  now,
I bundled them all together, and we'll look again in  1992  or  so.  The
proposal to _have_ a multimedia group seemed well supported. I  put  the
print  media  stuff  in  .applications,  though;  comments?

                       comp.sys.amiga.emulations

The support for this has grown a lot since the last posting.  There  are
several who suggested bundling this in with what is now .influence,  but
I'm not going to. Emulation discussions are a legitimate topic  of  high
value to the folks doing emulations, they are just of  limited  interest
to the rest ot the group. I don't find it fair to  dump  the  emulations
people  into  the  general  ranting  of  .infulence.

                       comp.sys.amiga.influence

Name changed; best one I've found yet, suggestions still  welcome;  this
beats .compare, .futures, .rumors, .suggest,  and  several  other  ideas
seen so far (see below). The outbreaks of "why the  Amiga  should  be  a
{mac, ps/2, atari-tt, and so on}" postings are episodic, as are the real
benchmark postings, and the "why Commodore should add feature  X  at  no
additional cost" postings, but when they hit,  they're  hell,  so  let's
give them and the "what the Amiga needs to adopt from new technology"  a
place here. There's no perfect name but this one _is_ a grand magnet for
the  c.s.a  version  of  alt.religion.computers.

                        comp.sys.amiga.datacomm

A couple of people, a day apart, suggested folding  terminal  emulators,
Ethernet, DNET, Amiga  UUCP,  Amiga  FIDONET,  file  archivers,  packing
uploads,    unpacking   downloads,   ftp   questions,   data    transfer
({x,y,z}modem, kermit, etc.), and archive site locating threads  in  one
subgroup; arranged that way, there's plenty  of  traffic  to  justify  a
separate subgroup. I chose .datacomm instead of .telecomm to reflect the
large data packaging component, when I put the subgroup back  into  this
proposal.

Henrik Clausen made the excellent point that _every_  USENet  subscriber
accessing the net form an Amiga is in  some  sense  interested  in  this
thread, since that's how the newsgroups are accessed, so it should be in
the  current  proposed  partition.

                            comp.unix.amiga

By the time this  proposal  is  enacted,  the  A3000UX  will  be  street
hardware/software, if all goes well on both  sides.  There  are  perhaps
thousands of the machines in the field by now, hundreds  for  sure,  and
the level of existing discussion already justifies a subgroup  (see  NEW
RANTS, above). Let's save the trouble of another vote in  three  months,
and get this done now. This group should, as Bill Vermillion noted,  get
the Amiga specific Unix postings. The  generic  stuff  is  discussed  in
comp.unix.{admin,internals,programmer}  or  comp.os.minix.

As stated earlier, I was willing to be outshouted on the name -- you ALL
win!  Can  I  have  my  mailbox  back  now?  ;-)

3) The capture and care of moderators.
--------------------------------------

The moderators' job is to filter (pass on the suitability of)  postings,
and to add  appropriate  Followup-To:  target  newsgroups  to  postings.

We have at least these volunteers:

  zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle)         Sacremento, California
  HONP9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbits III)   Houston, Texas

  [ peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) WITHDREW! ]

Dan's site is nicely available for quick turnaround on announcements, so
I'd like to suggest that he moderate the announce group.  Dan,  can  you
provide   coverage  for   summer/breaks?   Announce   needs   continuous
availability, even if that just means that moderation is replaced by  an
autoposting  mail-to-newsgroup  script  during  vacation  times.

Jason has an accessible site and a  reasonably  endurable  account,  but
needs some hand holding to get started. I've asked him to look into  the
support  available  for  doing  .reviews;  we'll  see.

In addition, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom  Limoncelli)  said  he'd  found
another volunteer to moderate, but gave no name. Is your volunteer still
nibbling,  Tom?

I'd still appreciate some more volunteers, since I'm not in  a  position
to teach the skills of moderating, but there are lots of  moderators  on
the net to ask for scripts and advice. Also, the more volunteers who are
available, the better the chance that two can get full, long  term  site
support  pledged.

I'd  really  appreciate  the  moderator  volunteers  sorting  out  among
themselves who gets which group, to save me refereeing.  Trust  me,  I'm
already  busy  enough.

4) Proposals not added.
-----------------------

> comp.sys.amiga.whine_like_a_baby_but_don't_do_anything_positive_about_it

Cute, real cute. Not included because of the 14 character directory name
limit on older SYSV sites. Otherwise it was in like a shot to cover some
of  the  responses  to  this  and  all  previous  partition  proposals.

Alternatives for .compare:

>	comp.sys.amiga.wars
>	comp.sys.amiga.mongering		(both war and rumors :-)
>	comp.sys.amiga.soapbox
>	comp.sys.amiga.forum			(naw -- too mild)
>	comp.sys.amiga.trashcan
>
>. . . Oh no! I can't stop myslef!  (Marc made me do it :-)
>
>	comp.sys.amiga.free4all
>	comp.sys.amiga.tagteam
>	comp.sys.amiga.inferiority.complex	(oops - 5 levels deep ;-)
>	comp.sys.amiga.pixel_envy
>	comp.sys.amiga.flatulence

Sure. ;-)

5) Other comments.
------------------

COMP.SYS.AMIGA BYE BYE.

The goal is to turn comp.sys.amiga into  a  node  rather  than  a  group
"immediately". I have no plan  to  touch  comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga,
nor  alt.sources.amiga.

RELAYS.

I know about amiga-relay@udel.edu, but can only deduce from the  effects
how it works. Please let me know if you subscribe  to  this  or  another
relay, how I can contact the operator of the relay by email, and how the
relay works (mechanism, utility) from your point of view. The  partition
is going to have a drastic effect on relays of c.s.a, and I need to make
arrangements with the relay operators to get the  needed  changes  done,
and to clean up some  of  the  existing  problems  (like  dumping  games
postings back in c.s.a). I already have the udel.edu operator's personal
email  address,  but  not  his  attention.  Sigh.

NUMBER OF GROUPS.

To the complaints that we can't pass a vote with a lot of groups: we not
only can (comp.unix, comp.sys.mac, and the IBM-PC groups just  did  so),
the group is causing such sysadmin and readership problems, we  have  to
partition it severely. A cut in two or  three  pieces  won't  be  nearly
enough.

HUMAN NATURE.

To the complaints that the problems could  all  be  solved  with  decent
subject lines and modern newsreaders: 1)  people  _don't_  use  sensible
subject lines, and you won't change that behavior by  wishful  thinking,
though it is still a good idea (see below); 2) many, many  readers  have
no choice in their newsreaders, being in BITNET land or other  barbarian
districts [ ;-) ], and some have only "Mail" as a choice  of  newsreader
for c.s.a. For the general readership, therefore, this opinion is simply
false, not to mention self-centered (see  BOILERPLATE  RANTING,  above).

AGGLOMERATIONS.

Several people have suggested lumping things related (at least in  their
minds) together to cut down the  number  of  groups.  The  goal  of  the
partition is to create groups to exclude, not  groups  to  include.  The
more stuff that is lumped together in a single group,  the  greater  the
chance you or the next person will have to read it all to get the  small
part you want, the same problem c.s.a gives now. By  dividing  the  same
set of postings into more, logical subgroups, you can choose to  exclude
some of them more easily without missing what you want  to  read.  There
are some compromises here. For the folks doing Mac  emulations,  plowing
through the Bridgeboard discussions is a nuisance, but  to  the  greater
net that bought the  Amiga  to  be  an  Amiga,  avoiding  all  emulation
discussions is a Good Thing. Thus there is  a  .emulations,  but  not  a
.emuMac,  .emuIBM-PC,  etc.,  the  (fairly)  happy  medium.

On the other hand, just because there  are  two  topics  you  personally
don't want to read doesn't  make  them  good  candidates  for  the  same
subgroup; there are other people who will want to read  exactly  one  of
them,  and  not  plow   through  both  in  one  subgroup.  Thus  dumping
.emulations and .influence (strange bedfellows indeed) together is  very
unfair  to  the  .emulations  subscribers.

SUBJECT LINES.

Edwin Wiles made an excellent  email  suggestion  with  respect  to  the
.applications group: since this group is going to mix a lot  of  topics,
posters should be especially diligent to put the name of the application
prominently (and probably first) in the subject line to assist the folks
using intelligent  newsreaders  to  bypass/choose  certain  topics.  For
example:

    Subject: WORDPERFECT 5.0 -- How do I get my new Farsi font to work?

This is really a good comment  for  all  the  groups,  but  he  made  it
especially for this one. Checking the subject  line  last  thing  before
posting to be sure it is still  appropriate  to  the  contents  of  your
article  is  an  important  part  of  responsible  posting.

Don't change the subject line arbitrarily; that makes it hard to  follow
threads. But don't leave it in an old thread when you've really chosen a
new  topic,  either.

CROSSPOSTING.

Unnecessary crossposting when the groups are split will cause all grades
of grief to the primitive newsreader  sites.  Part  of  the  goal  of  a
complex partition is to provide an explicit and  appropriate  place  for
each posting. If you have something that you feel needs to be in several
groups, post it to .misc instead. If that becomes  the  primary  use  of
.misc, and we can keep crossposting down to 1% or less,  this  partition
will be a big win. This in turn means that if  you  follow  up  a  .misc
thread and only  talk  about  the  part  appropriate  to  _one_  of  the
subgroups, you should change the newsgroups line to just that one group,
and not continue in .misc. That will make the threads a little choppier,
but you will be reaching the audience focused  on  your  intended  topic
better  this  way.

KITCHEN SINKS.

If I'm asked many times, fervently, (it's a horrid editing task of about
450K of stuff), I'll post an enormous compendium  of  email  and  posted
comments on the rev 0 and rev  1  versions,  but  the  above,  I  think,
captures the leanings and good new  ideas,  and  I  doubt  anyone  would
actually  read  the  other.

BOUNCED EMAIL.

My apologies to several email correspondents from out in  weird  address
land; I've had lots of email bounce (email to waterloo.edu  is  breaking
at toronto.edu, for example, and I  suddenly  can't  get  email  through
relay.cs.net, and lots of bitnet address are so bogus by the  time  they
get here and get turned around by Zorch, they break the NASA Ames mailer
going out, one of the most robust mailers worldwide,  and  ...),  and  I
don't have time right now for all the postmaster interactions  it  would
take to get things fixed, while also following the c.s.a discussions and
posting revisions and answering the flood of email on the proposals  and
trying  to  arrange  moderation.

VOTING.

When (LATER!) it is time to vote, I'll put up a ballot to cut and  paste
(or inclusive "R"eply, but change the address!) with yes/no votes on the
functionality of each proposed subgroup; net rules for Yes > (No +  100)
and  Yes  >  (2  *  No)  will  hold  for  these  votes.

Where there is still significant disagreement  about  a  name  (not  one
person posting often and loudly but  lots  of  people  posting  on  each
side),  there  will  be  a  subordinate  vote  on  the  names  proposed,
_plurality_ wins, Little Tin Dictator  breaks  ties  and  decides  which
names deserve even to get a vote on them included in  the  first  place.

Even those voting against the functionality should still vote on a  name
to  get  your  choice  noted  in  case  the  subgroup  passes.

I'll be using an awk script to score the ballots, so the cut  and  paste
is mandatory to keep a  format  that  awk  can  process.  My  sysop  has
promised me a separate mailbox for ballots, too;  posted  ones  or  ones
mailed to my  personal  mailbox  will  be  ignored,  trashed,  spindled,
shredded,  spat  upon,  and  mutilated.

YOUR COMMENTS.

Open season for support,  comments,  and  criticisms;  I'll  comment  on
responding  postings  in  c.s.a  as  needed.

SCHEDULE.

I'll read all the email and comments on this I can find,  and  the  next
version will go to news.announce.newgroups and news.groups, as  well  as
_all_ the Amiga groups. I've only got a couple days past the weekend  to
get something sent to Eliot Lear to make his Friday posting  effort,  so
respond  quickly,  please,  if  you  have  input.

Kent, the man from xanth.
And they're off!