[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Seiko CM-1440 Troubles!

astlc@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (10/26/90)

 I just bought a new Seiko CM-1440 multisync monitor for my A500. Unfortunatly,
Redmond Cable tells me that they cannot make an Amiga-> 1440 cable unless it
has been hooked to a FlickerFixer.

 So I try a bit of hardware hacking. The Amiga's sync lines seem to be too
unusual (weak, etc.) to properly drive the 1440 (causing the monitor to
squeal as it tries to lock into the Amiga's sync lines).

 My question: Is it possible to use the Seiko multisync without a FlickerFixer?
Or will my new (and incredibly sharp - .25 dot pitch!) become the newest
addition to MISC.COMPUTERS.FORSALE?

--
Tom Claydon	Student, University of Alaska Anchorage
		BITNET: astlc@alaska.bitnet

                "It's hard to see with 20 eyes in my head..."
				-- Glenn Danzig, THE MISFITS (1982)

menelli@sunc7 (Ron Menelli) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct25.221933.1@acad2.anc.alaska.edu> astlc@acad2.anc.alaska.edu writes:

> I just bought a new Seiko CM-1440 multisync monitor for my A500. Unfortunatly,
>Redmond Cable tells me that they cannot make an Amiga-> 1440 cable unless it
>has been hooked to a FlickerFixer.
>
> So I try a bit of hardware hacking. The Amiga's sync lines seem to be too
>unusual (weak, etc.) to properly drive the 1440 (causing the monitor to
>squeal as it tries to lock into the Amiga's sync lines).
>
> My question: Is it possible to use the Seiko multisync without a FlickerFixer?
>Or will my new (and incredibly sharp - .25 dot pitch!) become the newest
>addition to MISC.COMPUTERS.FORSALE?

Unfortunately, according to the owner's manual:

	Horizontal Deflection:        31 KHz to 40 KHz

So, the A500's sync rate is way out of the ballpark - I don't think that
there is any way except via a flicker fixer type thing.

BTW - it's a very nice monitor (I'm using it on my A3000) but you can't use
	  SuperHires mode effectively - you can't turn off the de-interlacer due
	  to the above problem...

Just a (mostly) satisfied customer...

Ron
menelli@cs.uiuc.edu