[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A500 drive light

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (11/01/90)

A friend of mine tells me that the DF0: drive light on his A500
goes off a couple of seconds before the motor stops.  The other
drive lights (DF1: and DF2:) stay on until the motor stops.  Is
this normal on the A500, or is his light wired up wrong?  If it
is not normal, what can be done to fix it?  This machine is two
years old, and we are not above doing simple hardware fixes if
that's what it takes.  Taking it in for service is not an option
as the only service center within driving distance closed down
some months ago.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.  E-mail replies are
preferred, but I will eventually get around to reading the news.
_____
  |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
  ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
  ||  || utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet, @unc.bitnet    _buy_ them.
   |  || utoddl@next1.mscre.unc.edu
       |___   ("Prgrms wtht cmmnts r lk sntncs wtht vwls." --TML)

martijn@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Reinalda M.) (11/01/90)

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:

>A friend of mine tells me that the DF0: drive light on his A500
>goes off a couple of seconds before the motor stops.  The other
>drive lights (DF1: and DF2:) stay on until the motor stops.  Is
>this normal on the A500, or is his light wired up wrong?  If it
>is not normal, what can be done to fix it?  This machine is two
>years old, and we are not above doing simple hardware fixes if
>that's what it takes.  Taking it in for service is not an option
>as the only service center within driving distance closed down
>some months ago.

>Thanks for any comments or suggestions.  E-mail replies are
>preferred, but I will eventually get around to reading the news.

This is normal on the A500. The light is not active as long as the motor
runs, it's active while the drive reads/writes from/to the disk. When the
light goes out, you can safely remove the disk out.

  ** IBM? Is that Amiga compatible ? ** E-mail : martijn@DNLUNX.UUCP **