[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] which way is up on SCSI cable?

Tom Ng <ADVI8733@Ryerson.Ca> (10/15/90)

  I'm trying to hook up an ST157N to my Supra 4x4 controller but it
only has a DB25 on it.  I couldn't find a DB25 to 50 pin SCSI cable to connect
directly to my drive so I'm going to a Mac dealer to get a DB25 to 50 pin
centronics cable.  Them I'm going to make a centronics to SCSI cable to
attach to my HD.

  The problem is that I have no idea which way is up.  Could someone tell me
which way to crimp the centronics plug?  Should the wide end of the centronics
plug be on the same side as the notch on my SCSI plug?

  Tnx in advance for any info!
-------------
G'd day, ay!      BitNet: EETD6301@RYERSON.CA or ADVI8733@RYERSON.CA
-Tom Ng           UseNet: ...!tmsoft!ryescs!tng
                  "My Log does not judge..." - The Log Lady

ung@felix.UUCP (Bill Ung) (10/26/90)

In article <90287.233242ADVI8733@Ryerson.Ca> ADVI8733@Ryerson.Ca (Tom Ng) writes:

>  I'm trying to hook up an ST157N to my Supra 4x4 controller but it
>only has a DB25 on it.  I couldn't find a DB25 to 50 pin SCSI cable to connect
>directly to my drive so I'm going to a Mac dealer to get a DB25 to 50 pin
>centronics cable.  Them I'm going to make a centronics to SCSI cable to
>attach to my HD.
>
>  The problem is that I have no idea which way is up.  Could someone tell me
>which way to crimp the centronics plug?  Should the wide end of the centronics
>plug be on the same side as the notch on my SCSI plug?

Up is irrelevant, wide side is irrelevant -- Borg, ST:TNG

If I were you, I'd look for a pin #1 assignment and go at it that way.  DB-25's
are pretty common, most of them have the full pin assignments listed on the
plug (grab a magnifying glass and a flashlight), as for the centronics
connector, they are either labeled, or you will need to find a book that
lists the pin assignments.

BTW, doesn't a centronics plug have 50 pins?  25 < > 50 !!!

Bill Ung
  ung@felix.UUCP

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (11/01/90)

>In article <322.27306AB6@afitamy.fidonet.org> Duane.Tackett@afitamy.fidonet.org (Duane Tackett) writes:
>Another interesting point is the fact that 25 of the 50 pins on your hard
>drive are ground!  Why so many?  Someone must of been sniffing too much
>silicon the night they cooked that one up...

It's for noise suppression. Duh. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
The extra grounds act as noise suppression on the SCSI bus, preventing
all sort of spurious errors. Try routing an unshielded SCSI cable over
a monitor, and watch the errors pile up.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

Duane.Tackett@afitamy.fidonet.org (Duane Tackett) (11/02/90)

Another interesting point is the fact that 25 of the 50 pins on your hard
drive are ground!  Why so many?  Someone must of been sniffing too much
silicon the night they cooked that one up...

     Duane Tackett

--- TAGMAIL v2.41 Beta
 * Origin: AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway Dayton, Ohio (1:110/300)

AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway |Duane Tackett - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
    1:110/300 Dayton, Ohio     |UUCP: afitamy!Duane.Tackett
        (513)-252-7681         |ARPA: Duane.Tackett@afitamy.fidonet.org