[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2nd internal a3000 hard drive

fmcphers@VTTCF.CC.VT.EDU (Frank McPherson) (11/02/90)

Subject: Adding a second internal SCSI hard disk drive to an A3000

    My problem : I need more hard drive space on my 3000.  I've got 100
meg on an empty drive, but the drive ain't empty.  90 meg are taken up
by Unix.  What I'd like to do is pop another Quantum 3-1/2"er in the
2nd drive bay (You know, the one below the power switch).  What mounting
hardware would I need, in addition to what would come with the drive?

     Thanks in advance,

Frank McPherson
fmcphers@vttcf.cc.vt.edu

In <9011011956.AA120444@vttcf.cc.vt.edu>, fmcphers@VTTCF.CC.VT.EDU (Frank McPherson) writes:
>Subject: Adding a second internal SCSI hard disk drive to an A3000
>
>    My problem : I need more hard drive space on my 3000.  I've got 100
>meg on an empty drive, but the drive ain't empty.  90 meg are taken up
>by Unix.  What I'd like to do is pop another Quantum 3-1/2"er in the
>2nd drive bay (You know, the one below the power switch).  What mounting
>hardware would I need, in addition to what would come with the drive?

Ignoring the size and space taken on the drive you are speaking of, since I
can't make head or tail of what you are trying to say there... :-)

You will need to either obtain a mounting plate for the second drive, or do
what I did: Drill a couple of small holes in the lip at the side of the drive
bay that line up with the mounting holes. Then grab a couple of longish screws
(you may have to get them too long and cut them down to the right size. Get a
couple of spacers, and run the screws through the holes, the spavers, and into
the drive mounting holes.

You may also need to obtain a 'Y' adapter to tap off drive power, unless CBM
has already modified the power supply to provide a second HD power connection.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill