[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Problem with A2000HD + A2300 genlock - won't boot w/o vid.sig.

paleo@uncecs.edu (Constantine A. LaPasha) (11/02/90)

Just recieved shipment of an A2000HD system with an A2300 internal
genlock for use in our lab.  We have just one small problem --
can't get the system to boot without supplying an external video
source to the genlock.  -- What gives? -- This does not follow from
the description in the docs, and a collegue who has an A2500/30 with
A2300 genlock has no problem booting without an external video source
(in fact he didn't even know it was in there for about a week after
he got it).

Seems like a sync problem while trying to boot - power light flashes,
dark grey, light grey screen, then repeat --- never gets to access the
drive.

I heard there was this kind of problem for awhile with the A2300 in
the A3000's but somehow I thought they got that fixed.  Is this the
new and improved version, so that it now acts odd in the 2000 line,
or is this a new FEATURE?  I'd like to get this straightened out
soon since the boss dosen't think too much of needing a video signal
just to get the machine to boot.

Thanks for the help.
Kostya LaPasha          paleo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
==== ... virtually, we can do anything ... ====

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov1.174106.4358@uncecs.edu> paleo@uncecs.edu (Constantine A. LaPasha) writes:

>Just recieved shipment of an A2000HD system with an A2300 internal
>genlock for use in our lab.  We have just one small problem --
>can't get the system to boot without supplying an external video
>source to the genlock.  -- What gives? -- This does not follow from
>the description in the docs, and a collegue who has an A2500/30 with
>A2300 genlock has no problem booting without an external video source
>(in fact he didn't even know it was in there for about a week after
>he got it).
>
>Seems like a sync problem while trying to boot - power light flashes,
>dark grey, light grey screen, then repeat --- never gets to access the
>drive.
>
>I heard there was this kind of problem for awhile with the A2300 in
>the A3000's but somehow I thought they got that fixed.  Is this the
>new and improved version, so that it now acts odd in the 2000 line,
>or is this a new FEATURE?  I'd like to get this straightened out
>soon since the boss dosen't think too much of needing a video signal
>just to get the machine to boot.
>
>Thanks for the help.
>--
>Kostya LaPasha          paleo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
>==== ... virtually, we can do anything ... ====

Kostya,

Many of the A2000s were shipped with a motherboard jumper set the wrong
way which I think has the effect you are describing when a A2300 genlock
is added to the system.  Please check your manual for the proper
position of the shorting block on Jumper J300 (under the power supply
cage) and then check your machine to see if it is set correctly.  Please
move the jumper if it is in the wrong position and see if that helps
your problem.

Scott Hood

Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"