[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP Series II/A2000 problems

davidy@sumax.UUCP (David L. Yee) (11/03/90)

	(Apologies if this has already been discussed- I missed a few days
	worth of posts, and you know how the traffic is......:^)

		I am in need of some help and or information. I just recieved
my GVP Series II hardcard with on-board memory exapansion. This is the new one
with DMA access. Anyway, it refused to operate with the memory installed and
the memory configuration jumpers set appropriately. If I disabled the RAM
jumpers, or removed the RAM entirely, the card booted and runs fine.
	Needless to say, I was a little perturbed, so I called up GVP today
(11-2-90, 1:30 PST) and asked to see what was up. A person named Gary took my
call. What he told we was this:
	 I have a rev 4.3 motherboard. Gary said that Commodore made a
	   number of 4.3 motherboards without a certain resistor. This
	  resistor is a 470 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor that (I believe) he said
	  was supposed to be connected to the DTACK line of the 68000 (My
	  memory on the DTACK portion is a little hazy, the rest is not.)
	  Anyway, here is approximately where it should go:
	    ________
           |        |
           |        |
           |        |
           |        |
           |        |     ||
           |        |  R  ||
           |        |     || <-resistor pack
           |MC68000 |     ||
           |        | ||  ||                    R= location of missing resistor
           |        | ||  ||
           |        | ||<-resistor pack
           |        | ||  ||
           |        | ||  ||
           |        | ||  ||
           |        | ||
           |        | ||
           ----------          Front of A2000

	I hope this is adequate to describe where the missing resistor is supposed to go, because he was trying to describe its location and where it should
be soldered over the telephone, which was NOT easy. :^)
	GVP claimed that they had been in touch with Commodore, and that earlier
this Monday they had concluded that this was why the Series II RAM's were
failing. He said that this was Commodore's fault, and that it was a random
occurance as to which rev 4.3 boards were missing this resistor. Now, I tried
checked up on this by calling a local Commodore service center (Butler's
Computers in Federal Way, WA) and they said no way. They had not heard anything
about such a problem, and they were very effusive in their praise for Commodore
and its support/information supplied for the service centers. I was certainly
not going to try soldering on a resistor with no electronics assembly
experience and with over-the phone directions. So, the $25,000 question is:
   *****Is their really such a problem with the rev 4.3 motherboards? I
hope someone from Commodore can help out here, because I don't know who to
call or email to to find out the scoop from Commodore's side. I do not want
to unfairly malign Commodore if GVP is trying to pass the buck. (GVP was
very courteous and helpful, though.)
	If anyone can provide enlightement or suggestions, it would be
enormously appreciated. I hope this will help out anybody else who may be
suffering from GVP II/RAM combos. Please email replies if possible, I cannot
always keep up with the tremendous flow of posts on the amiga forums.

				Thanks in advance,
				----DLY-----
				David L. Yee
				email to: davidy@sumax.seattleu.edu

BTW: The guy at GVP that was supposed to have discovered the 4.3 problem with
     Commodore was named Robert. Sorry, I didn't get his last name, I should
    have.

davidy@sumax.UUCP (David L. Yee) (11/04/90)

In article <1484@sumax.UUCP> davidy@sumax.UUCP (David L. Yee) writes:

>	(Apologies if this has already been discussed- I missed a few days
>	worth of posts, and you know how the traffic is......:^)
>
>		I am in need of some help and or information. I just recieved
>my GVP Series II hardcard with on-board memory exapansion. This is the new one
>with DMA access. Anyway, it refused to operate with the memory installed and
>the memory configuration jumpers set appropriately. If I disabled the RAM
>jumpers, or removed the RAM entirely, the card booted and runs fine.
>	 I have a rev 4.3 motherboard. Gary said that Commodore made a
>	   number of 4.3 motherboards without a certain resistor. This
>	  resistor is a 470 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor that (I believe) he said
>	  was supposed to be connected to the DTACK line of the 68000 (My
>	  memory on the DTACK portion is a little hazy, the rest is not.)
>	  Anyway, here is approximately where it should go:

	Well, no word from Commodore, but some desperate experimentation
may be of some interest. By axing the FastMemFirst command from startup-sequence
, the A2000 booted! 3 Megs (well, 2.8 anyway) now mine to command! But--------

	It didn't work out. Big graphics applications died, like Photon Paint,
Digi-Paint 3, and PageSetter II. They either gurued right off the start or
died later on. The GVP supplied ramtest showed mucho bad RAM, yet, avail
and mergemem showed all the RAM there. Running FastMemFirst at any time
kills off the system. So, if you are desperate, you might try removing the
FastMemFirst command. If it works for you, please let me know via email. A
follow up call to GVP Monday, to try and pin this down and see what they
think of this little anomaly.

					Thanks All,
					----DLY----
					David L. Yee
				email to: davidy@sumax.seattleu.edu

In article <1484@sumax.UUCP> davidy@sumax.UUCP (David L. Yee) writes:

>	 I have a rev 4.3 motherboard. Gary said that Commodore made a
>	   number of 4.3 motherboards without a certain resistor. This
>	  resistor is a 470 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor that (I believe) he said
>	  was supposed to be connected to the DTACK line of the 68000 (My
>	  memory on the DTACK portion is a little hazy, the rest is not.)

That's reasonably correct, but not quite.  During the 4.3 run, we switched
from a Gary gate array made for us by Toshiba to a full custom Gary made at
MOS.  The change's significance was mainly in the DTACK* signal created by
Gary.  On the Toshiba part, this was an active output that went 3-state when
taken over (like when OVR* is asserted by an expansion bus device).  On the
MOS part, this was an open drain output.  The original A2000 design had a
4.7K pullup on DTACK*, basically just to make sure that DTACK* was kept high
when no device was driving it.  With the open-drain or open-collector parts,
a pullup resistor is necessary, and is essentially responsible for determining
how long a particular signal will take to go high.  So, for production, we
required that any machine built with MOS Gary also have a 470 Ohm pullup added
to it, so that DTACK* would rise fast enough.

>	GVP claimed that they had been in touch with Commodore, and that
>earlier this Monday they had concluded that this was why the Series II RAM's
<were failing. He said that this was Commodore's fault, and that it was a
>random occurance as to which rev 4.3 boards were missing this resistor.

Well, the existence or non-existence of that pullup is certainly Commodore's
fault.  The failure of GVP's controller is based on GVP's failure to take into
account this difference.  Of all the hard disk controllers on the market, this
new GVP controller is apparently the only one that has a sensitivity to this.
Also, it's not guaranteed that the Toshiba part can properly sink DTACK* when
you have the effective 427 ohm pullup on DTACK* resulting from the addition
of the extra 470 ohm resistor.  So if you're adding the resistor and the
system gets flakey, go out and get a MOS/CSG Gary while you're at it.

This difference, by the way, has been documented at the last few DevCons, as
well as on the net here and on bix.  It's not like we're trying to hide it
or anything.

>   *****Is their really such a problem with the rev 4.3 motherboards? I
>hope someone from Commodore can help out here, because I don't know who to
>call or email to to find out the scoop from Commodore's side. I do not want
>to unfairly malign Commodore if GVP is trying to pass the buck. (GVP was
>very courteous and helpful, though.)

There is a difference, as I have described.  GVP thinks it's a problem, but
they seem to be the only ones.  Obviously, if you can avoid having ANY
electrical difference between revisions of a system, that's a good thing.
But it's not always possible to have 20/20 foresight.  It is always possible
to have 20/20 hindsight, and it sure looks like GVP may need some glasses to
avoid this kind of thing in the future.

	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM