[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] DOE-signal

kp74615@nokikana.tut.fi (Karri Tapani Palovuori) (11/07/90)

Hi,

My Technical Reference Manual (B2000) claims (on page 82) that
'the signal's (=DOE) timing changes from read cycle to write cycle'.

During read cycles it enables PIC's data drivers but what about
write cycles?

Could I use it as 'data on bus is correct' -signal during processor
writes?

Karri

In article <1990Nov7.085624.23235@funet.fi> kp74615@nokikana.tut.fi (Karri Tapani Palovuori) writes:

>My Technical Reference Manual (B2000) claims (on page 82) that
>'the signal's (=DOE) timing changes from read cycle to write cycle'.

And I wrote that, didn't I.  Silly me, that doesn't really say anything of
much value.

>During read cycles it enables PIC's data drivers but what about
>write cycles?

>Could I use it as 'data on bus is correct' -signal during processor
>writes?

I'm not sure if it would work for that, but it's not recommended.  DOE is
supposed to indicate when a device may start to drive data onto the bus;
it's basically an indication of the start of S4, in 68000-speak.  A bus
master _may_ indeed legally drive data prior to DOE, but you can't be
sure about the data being valid at least until UDS* and/or LDS* are driven,
sometime during the S4 state, with a setup time defined by the 68000 specs
as at least 40ns.  Since a state is 70ns long, and TYPICAL 68000 timing has
UDS*/LDS* drop by the middle of S4, it may appear that DOE would be a good
data latch.  But it's not guaranteed.

>Karri

	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM