[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2091 Help Wanted Please

keith@actrix.co.nz (Keith Stewart) (11/05/90)

A friend needs some answers about the 2091 Hard Card. Any answers
appreciated.
------------------------------------

     The problem is that I have three ST-506 HDs 2x40mb++ MFM and
one 30mb RLL which of course will run at 20mb MFM. I would like to buy
an Amiga A2000 and therefore need to get a HD card to run the HDs that
I already have. I am told that the A2091 works out dearer if it is
brought by itself and therefore the best value for money is to buy the
Amiga A2000+A2091+40mb.

     1)     I am presuming that the A2091 will come with a SCSI
type HD. If this is so will I be able to run the other two or three
ST-506 HDs off that same card. eg: One SCSI and three ST-506s.?

     2)     If it is possible to do the above then how would the
thing be set-up external or internal or both.?

     3)     If some HDs are to be external will they need to have
their own separate power supply.?

     4)     Will the external drives have to have their own
separate control card(s) or does the A2091 take care of all that.?

     5)     How are you buying your A2091 with a HD.? If not and
if its not a rude question what sort of price were you quoted.?

     6)     I now see that there is an A2091A is that the same
thing or is that something else.?

 As I am buying one as well I am interested as well
Thanks to all

In article <1990Nov5.055345.14039@actrix.co.nz> keith@actrix.co.nz (Keith Stewart) writes:
>A friend needs some answers about the 2091 Hard Card. Any answers
>appreciated.

>     1)     I am presuming that the A2091 will come with a SCSI
>type HD.

At least at one time, and probably still today, you could buy a plain A2091
as well as one bundled (with a Quantum 40M drive last I checked).

>If this is so will I be able to run the other two or three ST-506 HDs off
>that same card. eg: One SCSI and three ST-506s.?

The A2091 doesn't support ST-506.  Period.  As far as I know, the only Amiga
HD controller that supports ST-506 and SCSI is the A2090/A2090a.  That is also
probably the only DMA driven ST-506, though based on some problems with A2090
controllers have with high contention video displays on the Amiga, it's
probably not a good idea to have a DMA driven ST-506 unless your controller
also have a track buffer (the A2090s only have a 32 word FIFO, which doesn't
quite solve the problem, though the vast majority of ST-506 drives are too
slow to notice).  There are a couple of 3rd party ST-505 controllers which are
essentially Amiga bus adaptors for PC bus hard disk controllers which support
ST-506, probably with RLL or plain MFM, your choice (A2090s only do standard
MFM).  Just about all, if not all, ST-506 controllers I have seen are limited
to two drives.

>     2)     If it is possible to do the above then how would the
>thing be set-up external or internal or both.?

In an A2000 with 2091, you get one 3.5" HD on the card if you like it there,
one 3.5" HD next to the floppy, and one 5.25" 1/2 height HD in the 5.25"
bay.  Anything else must be mounted externally or kludged in somehow (which
is not recommended).  ST-506s really have to be internal, since there is no
proper external cabling convention for ST-506 like there is for SCSI.  The
A2090 controllers don't permit a drive to be mounted on them, though some of
the 3rd party ST-506 controller most likely will.

>     3)     If some HDs are to be external will they need to have
>their own separate power supply.?

Yes.

>     4)     Will the external drives have to have their own
>separate control card(s) or does the A2091 take care of all that.?

External drives can be driven from the A2091, but of course, they are only
SCSI drives.

>     6)     I now see that there is an A2091A is that the same
>thing or is that something else.?

You're probably thinking of the A2090a.  The A2090 was Commodore's first hard
disk controller, and it supported 2 ST-506 drives and 7 SCSI devices.  The
A2090a was a slight modification that supported autobooting ROMs.  The A2091
was a complete redesign that supports only SCSI.

> As I am buying one as well I am interested as well
>Thanks to all

	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM