[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] On CBM HD ROM versions & WD SCSI chips

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (11/12/90)

In <15615@cbmvax.commodore.com> ,andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel)
writes:

| To repeat:  we were not talking about the 2090a. The 2091 is a different
| controller.  It has different chips, and different software.

And
In <2192@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> ,lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips)
writes:

| The 2090a and 2091 use two different SCSI chips. They use different support
| circuitry. They use different software.

    Ooops. I'm confused. I thought they used slightly different versions
 of the same chips. So I'm wrong.
    Okay can we get a few data points here. Will somebody in the know
 remove some x's and ?'s in this table, please...

CONTROLLER      WD CHIP         ROM             PROBLEMS
A2090           WD33C93         ??

A2090A          WD33C93         ??              Multiple drives hang
                                                SCSI Direct flawed
A2091           WD.x0           4.x             No reselect

                WD.x1           4.x             No reselect
                WD.x1           6.1             No reselect

A590            WD.x2           4.y             No reselect
                WD.x2           ??              ??

A3000           WD.x3           ??              No reselect

        Notes on WD chips
        -----------------
        WD.x0   =? WD33C93
        WD.x1   =? WD33C93A
        WD.x2   =? WD33C93A
        WD.x3   =? WD33C93A

        WD33C93 has problems with high level commands.
        WD33C93A has problems with low level commands.
        WD.x3   This chip is marked   WD33CPL;PROTO or WD33C93A-PL ; PROTO
        (See April-May 90 tech notes re Rom versions)

    I guess the question that arises is WD coming out with a SCSI chip
  that works?

    -harvey

    "Look out kid, it's something you did.
     god knows what, but you're doing it again!" - Robert Zimmerman

      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
      uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (11/14/90)

A friend of mine told me that the siquest removable media HD will not work on a
n A3000. Is this true? Is it because of the reselect problem? Is it the driver?
Any help will be apprichated.

--
Amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu	            .....Paul......

Listen to what I mean, not what I say.

In <3796@mindlink.UUCP>, a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
>In <15615@cbmvax.commodore.com> ,andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel)
>writes:
>|
>| To repeat:  we were not talking about the 2090a. The 2091 is a different
>| controller.  It has different chips, and different software.
>|
>And
>In <2192@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> ,lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips)
>writes:
>|
>| The 2090a and 2091 use two different SCSI chips. They use different support
>| circuitry. They use different software.
>|

>    Ooops. I'm confused. I thought they used slightly different versions
> of the same chips. So I'm wrong.

Oops... you are right. The 2090 _does_ use a WD 33C93.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.