[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] RISC Amiga

cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) (10/30/90)

I found this in comp.sys.m88k ......

>There's an Apple ad in the "help wanted -- engineering" section of
>today's local (Portland Oregon) newspaper.  They're looking for
>diagnostics writers to work on the "RISC Macintosh" and they're looking
>for 88k assembly language experience.

> -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!frip.WV.TEK!andrew)    [UUCP]
>                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

So it looks like Macintosh are already placing even bets on whether
CISC can keep up with RISC.  If they're already starting on an
88k based Macintosh, perhaps C= should at least be showing some
interest.

So what would we want a RISC Amiga to be based on, 88k? Sparc? i860? MIPS?
What about compatibility with existing software?

I doubt C= have the money to devote any time to a RISC amiga when they
seem to be having problems finding resources to devote to their
existing Amiga products...

Colin Adams        You need to have a woman, before you can have a Sun :-)
Email Address -    cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (10/31/90)

In article <1156@iceman.jcu.oz> cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:
>So what would we want a RISC Amiga to be based on, 88k? Sparc? i860? MIPS?

Given the Amiga product philosphy of "inexpensive", I'd have to guess
the AMD29K.  They're real cheap, and quite fast. After that I think 88K,
because of the Motorola heritage of the Amiga.  Plus I just read that
Motorola dropped the price of the 88K chip set, don't remember how low.
Still much higher than a 68030.

>What about compatibility with existing software?

Forget about it.  RISC is a new architecture, a new instruction set, a
new philosophy.

On the other hand, the 68040 is as fast as current-generation RISC
chips.  So why go RISC at all?
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

daglem@solan.unit.no (Dag Lem) (10/31/90)

In article <1156@iceman.jcu.oz>, cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:
|> So what would we want a RISC Amiga to be based on, 88k? Sparc? i860? MIPS?
|> What about compatibility with existing software?

We don't want a RISC amiga! Software compatibility? Are you joking?
If you want speed, opt for a 68040. It may do fewer MIPS than RISCS, but that's NOT the way to compare 68040 with RISCS (or any other processor, for that matter).
The 68000 series can perform rather complex operations with one instruction. Most
RISCS do virtually nothing with one instruction. Guess you've been reading too many ads stating '..running at xx MIPS! Compare this to ..' :-)

|> Colin Adams        You need to have a woman, before you can have a Sun :-)
|> Email Address -    cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au

    __                /                       |> Shorter of breath
   /  \  __   __     /   ___  _ _             |> and one day closer to death.
  /    |/  / /  /   /   /__/ / / /            |>   -Roger Waters, Time
 /____/ \_/|/\_/   /____\___/ /  \__________  |>    (Dark Side of The Moon)
______________/

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (10/31/90)

In article <22914@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>In article <1156@iceman.jcu.oz> cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:
>>So what would we want a RISC Amiga to be based on, 88k? Sparc? i860? MIPS?
>
>Given the Amiga product philosphy of "inexpensive", I'd have to guess
>the AMD29K.  They're real cheap, and quite fast. After that I think 88K,
>because of the Motorola heritage of the Amiga.  Plus I just read that
>Motorola dropped the price of the 88K chip set, don't remember how low.
>Still much higher than a 68030.

First...the AMD29K is a tremendously unlikely choice.  First, almost
noone (maybe one company) uses it as a general purpose CPU, and AMD
does not market it as such.  It is used almost exclusively in embedded
systems applications.  It also has some not-insubstantial memory sub-
system requirements (the optimal configuration implimented with
VRAMS) that doesn't seem, to me at least, to lend itself to
inexpensive implimentation, especially in the 8+MB range.  Someone
with direct 29k hardware experience should comment further.

Second...loyalty to motorola seems to be a signal to *not* use the
88k (witness Sun(SPARC), SGI(MIPS), NCR(80x86), etc.).  Both SPARC
and MIPS can be had for less money than the 88k, and both currently
have installed base advantages over the 88k.  The 88k is a damn
nice chip (I *love* the Tek XD88/10 on my desk at work), but there are
some real caveats in the market (not technically) in using it.  This
has been hashed out over (inconclusively) in comp.sys.m88k and by
e-mail.

I'd bet that C/A could make a helluva a run at the SPARC clone market
(something that is about to take off...).  A low-priced colour
AmigaSPARC would *really* be popular.

>>What about compatibility with existing software?
>
>Forget about it.  RISC is a new architecture, a new instruction set, a
>new philosophy.

This is simply not true.  I regularly run MS-DOS programmes on a
SPARCStation 1 using SoftPC (a programme that has been ported to the
MIPS, 88k and (I think) the 29k as well).  The IBM RS/6000 emulates a
386 completely in software as fast as a real 386 in many cases.  RISC
processors very much lend themselves to emulating other machines
(within limits).  A RISC simulator of an Amiga, while probably not
easy, is certainly doable by reasonably sharp team.  Hell, it might be
easier than SoftPC since the 68k instruction set is so much cleaner
and more orthoginal that the Intel rubbish.

--
	ken seefried iii	"A snear, a snarl, a whip that
	ken@dali.gatech.edu	 stings...these are a few of

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (10/31/90)

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

>In article <1156@iceman.jcu.oz> cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:
>>What about compatibility with existing software?

>Forget about it.  RISC is a new architecture, a new instruction set, a
>new philosophy.

>On the other hand, the 68040 is as fast as current-generation RISC
>chips.  So why go RISC at all?

  Because next year's implementation of RISC (the 88110) will be about
two to three times faster than next year's implementation of the 68040
(even with the 040 running at 50MHz)
Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Jim Bolger - a National landslide of incompetence

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (10/31/90)

In article <22914@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>In article <1156@iceman.jcu.oz> cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:
>>So what would we want a RISC Amiga to be based on, 88k? Sparc? i860? MIPS?
>
>Given the Amiga product philosphy of "inexpensive", I'd have to guess
>the AMD29K.  They're real cheap, and quite fast. After that I think 88K,
>because of the Motorola heritage of the Amiga.  Plus I just read that
>Motorola dropped the price of the 88K chip set, don't remember how low.
>Still much higher than a 68030.

The 040 kills the 88000 in floating point, but the 88000 is much faster
than the 040 in a bunch of other things.

I think that C= is concentrating on delivering excellent price/performance.
The 860 would make an excellent co-processor.  I don't think any chip other
than the 040 is suitable for use as a replacement processor simply because
of code compatability.  Emulating a microprocessor with another uP is SLOW!
Now, can Amiga OS and Amiga UNIX handle multi-processing on a heterogeneous
network of processors?  I can see my Amiga with 2 i860s an i960 and 10
040s.  Of course, my pocketbook can see none of this 8-(

>On the other hand, the 68040 is as fast as current-generation RISC
>chips.  So why go RISC at all?

Eventually, CISC will not be able to keep up.  The design philosophies
in RISC are generally better.  I don't think that cranking up the clockrate
is the answer at all.  Make the instructions themselves run faster.  That
was the philosophy behind IBM in their POWER RISC boxes.  I can tell you
that these machines are VERY nice.  Besides, they can always crank up the
clockrate later 8-)

>First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
>                                                                    \\ / /
>Then, the disclaimer:  All expressed opinions are, indeed, opinions. \  / o
>Now for the witty part:    I'm pink, therefore, I'm spam!             \/

mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (10/31/90)

In article <16105@hydra.gatech.EDU> ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

	[Lots of good RISC/CISC commentary deleted]

>This is simply not true.  I regularly run MS-DOS programmes on a
>SPARCStation 1 using SoftPC (a programme that has been ported to the
>MIPS, 88k and (I think) the 29k as well).  The IBM RS/6000 emulates a
>386 completely in software as fast as a real 386 in many cases.  RISC
>processors very much lend themselves to emulating other machines
>(within limits).  A RISC simulator of an Amiga, while probably not
>easy, is certainly doable by reasonably sharp team.  Hell, it might be
>easier than SoftPC since the 68k instruction set is so much cleaner
>and more orthoginal that the Intel rubbish.

	True, a 680x0 emulator would be easy, but the Amiga has those
CUSTOM CHIPS.  Those would be a little trickier to emulate in software.
(Not impossible, but the overhead to do it might be prohibitive).

>--
>	ken seefried iii	"A snear, a snarl, a whip that
>	ken@dali.gatech.edu	 stings...these are a few of
>				 my favorite things..."

	-- Matt

    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
    %    "I programmed three days        %      Beam me up, Scotty.      %
    %     And heard no human voices.     %     There's no Artificial     %
    %     But the hard disk sang."       %    Intelligence down here.    %
    %          -- Yoshiko                                                %
    %                            E-mail:  mrush@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu %
    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     This is a SCHOOL!  Do you think they even CARE about MY opinions?!

cameron@kirk.nmg.bu.oz (Cameron Stevenson) (10/31/90)

From article <1156@iceman.jcu.oz>, by cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams):
> I found this in comp.sys.m88k ......
>
> So what would we want a RISC Amiga to be based on, 88k? Sparc? i860? MIPS?
> What about compatibility with existing software?

What about using one of the best microprocessors on the market... Fairchild's
Clipper chipset. This set gives a good balance of RISC and CISC in the one
set, and is blindingly fast. Anyway, this sort of discussion normally
belongs in other newgroups.
Cheers for now...

Cameron Stephenson
Bond University
Gold Coast    Australia

In article <1990Oct30.173846.6928@idt.unit.no> daglem@solan.unit.no (Dag Lem) writes:
>We don't want a RISC amiga! Software compatibility? Are you joking?
>If you want speed, opt for a 68040. It may do fewer MIPS than RISCS,
>but that's NOT the way to compare 68040 with RISCS (or any other
>processor, for that matter).  The 68000 series can perform rather
>complex operations with one instruction. Most RISCS do virtually
>nothing with one instruction. Guess you've been reading too many
>ads stating '..running at xx MIPS! Compare this to ..' :-)

Uh, (trying to be gentle) the RISC speed debates are over; RISC is
faster.  Whether this is because of hard-core RISC principles, or
that present-day CPU chip designers simply know their jobs very well
and their marketing staff jumped on a RISC marketing bandwagon, is
irrelevant.  (I tend to think it's the latter, considering how fast the
68040 is.) People can tell when they run their applications.
--

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.230958.14019@engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:

> >On the other hand, the 68040 is as fast as current-generation RISC
> >chips.  So why go RISC at all?
>
> Eventually, CISC will not be able to keep up.  The design philosophies
> in RISC are generally better.  I don't think that cranking up the clockrate

Eventually, CISC will not be able to keep up BUT the 680x0 has a
better fighting chance than the 386/486/etc. architecture.

When RISC was "new", Intel lovers said, "this is revolutionary!  The
instruction set it SO simple!"
When RISC was "new", Motorola lovers said, "this is interesting,
someone has taken the 680x0 architecture to an extreme.  Yawn."

One thing about RISC can not be denied:  The techniques and technology
learned from RISC development will benefit us all.  (Yes, yes, RISC
chips may get "first wack" at the new ideas).  Look at what makes the
486 faster than the 386, and look at what makes the '040 faster than
the '030.

Predictions are dangerous things to make, nonetheless: I predict RISC
technology will start to bottom out, and (based on evolution in the
past) designers will start to add more and more instructions until
RISC chips are even more like the 680x0.  The 680x0 will evolve taking
ideas from RISC.  This will reach a limit when the 680x0 vs. RISC
distinction becomes slim.  Both of these trends happening
simultaneously sure sounds like 680x0 and RISC will converge.  (The
last sentence is really going out on a limb... no flames please, it's
just a little prediction)

Or, maybe everyone will adopt a "standard" (SPARC?) and stagnate
development.  No new instructions would be introduced, and my
prediction wouldn't come true.

Or, maybe someone will invent something better than either, and all
this will be for naught. :-)

-Tom
P.S.  I'm quite pro-RISC, I just wish SPARC spelled backwards
wasn't "CRAPS".
--
tlimonce@drew.edu     Tom Limoncelli      "Flash!  Flash!  I love you!
tlimonce@drew.bitnet  +1 201 408 5389        ...but we only have fourteen

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (10/31/90)

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

>In article <1156@iceman.jcu.oz> cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:
>>So what would we want a RISC Amiga to be based on, 88k? Sparc? i860? MIPS?
>>What about compatibility with existing software?

>Forget about it.  RISC is a new architecture, a new instruction set, a
>new philosophy.

>On the other hand, the 68040 is as fast as current-generation RISC
>chips.  So why go RISC at all?

Sorry, this simply isn't true.  Even if you assume that 68040's will be
shipping RSN at a top speed of 25MHz, this is already well behind the top
speed of popular RISC processors.  You can buy a 33MHz R3000 or a 40MHz
SPARC in CMOS *today*!  By the time the 68040 is available in volume
quantities, we should also be seeing volume 40MHz R3000s.  And don't forget,
the R3000 has been around for a while.  You can bet the next generation
R4000 will be available long before the 68050 is.

Marcel A. LeBlanc  --  Electrical Eng. Computer Group, Univ. of Toronto
leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu		else: uunet!utcsri!eecg!leblanc

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (10/31/90)

daglem@solan.unit.no (Dag Lem) writes:

>In article <1156@iceman.jcu.oz>, cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:
>|> So what would we want a RISC Amiga to be based on, 88k? Sparc? i860? MIPS?
>|> What about compatibility with existing software?
>|>
>We don't want a RISC amiga! Software compatibility? Are you joking?
> If you want speed, opt for a 68040. It may do fewer MIPS than RISCS, but
> that's NOT the way to compare 68040 with RISCS (or any other processor, for
> that matter).  The 68000 series can perform rather complex operations with
> one instruction. Most RISCS do virtually nothing with one instruction. Guess
> you've been reading too many ads stating '..running at xx MIPS! Compare this
> to ..' :-)

Here we go again.  Guess you've been reading too many BYTE pseudo-technical
articles again.  The whole point to the RISC approach to processor (and
system) design is to implement only instructions that are used, and to make
those instructions as fast as possible.  The 'rather complex operations'
performed by CISC are usually a waste of silicon because they aren't used.
And the notion that RISCs "do virtually nothing with one instruction" will
certainly be news to the designers of the MIPS R3000, who worked very hard
to get the 'cycles per (useful) instruction' as close to 1.0 as possible!
In fact, the R3000 achieves 1.27 clocks/SPEC integer.  You can be sure this
is better than what the 68040 (certainly the FASTEST of the 68K line) can
achieve, because Motorola's predicted performance for the 68040 isn't evenb
that high.  And Motorola's 'performance predictions' are claims that have yet
to be proven.

In article <1990Oct31.012758.26467@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:
>daglem@solan.unit.no (Dag Lem) writes:
>In fact, the R3000 achieves 1.27 clocks/SPEC integer.  You can be sure this
>is better than what the 68040 (certainly the FASTEST of the 68K line) can
>achieve, because Motorola's predicted performance for the 68040 isn't evenb
>that high.

Hm, didn't I read something like "1.2 instructions per cycle" for the
68040, or do I mix things up?

daglem@solan5.solan.unit.no (Dag Lem) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.012758.26467@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:
|> Here we go again.  Guess you've been reading too many BYTE pseudo-technical
|> articles again.  The whole point to the RISC approach to processor (and

No, I have not read BYTE. I have read IEEE Micro (OK so the articles were written by Motorola guys).

|> system) design is to implement only instructions that are used, and to make
|> those instructions as fast as possible.  The 'rather complex operations'
|> performed by CISC are usually a waste of silicon because they aren't used.

Well at least I use the fancy addressing modes of the 680x0 series. Perhaps the c compilers don't, but I cannot agree with you that they are a waste of silicon.

|> And the notion that RISCs "do virtually nothing with one instruction" will
|> certainly be news to the designers of the MIPS R3000, who worked very hard
|> to get the 'cycles per (useful) instruction' as close to 1.0 as possible!
|> In fact, the R3000 achieves 1.27 clocks/SPEC integer.  You can be sure this
|> is better than what the 68040 (certainly the FASTEST of the 68K line) can
|> achieve, because Motorola's predicted performance for the 68040 isn't evenb
|> that high.  And Motorola's 'performance predictions' are claims that have yet
|> to be proven.

Motorolas claims (OK they are claims) the 68040 on the average uses 1.3 cycles per VERY useful integer instruction. I can't see what makes the number 1.27 seem so much smaller than 1.3 to you :-)

|>Marcel A. LeBlanc  --  Electrical Eng. Computer Group, Univ. of Toronto
|>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
|>leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu		else: uunet!utcsri!eecg!leblanc

    __		      /                       |> Shorter of breath
   /  \  __   __     /   ___  _ _             |> and one day closer to death.
  /    |/  / /  /   /   /__/ / / /            |>   -Roger Waters, Time
 /____/ \_/|/\_/   /____\___/ /  \__________  |>    (Dark Side of The Moon)
______________/

In article <22914@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>In article <1156@iceman.jcu.oz> cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:
>>So what would we want a RISC Amiga to be based on, 88k? Sparc? i860? MIPS?

>Given the Amiga product philosphy of "inexpensive", I'd have to guess
>the AMD29K.

Then again, Motorola just chopped prices on the 88k family, by a big chunk.
I think you can get a basic 88100 + 88200 * 2 for just over $100 now at
16MHz.  And there's this IDT version of the MIPS R3000 on the way out, with
on-chip cache and MMU, for about $30 in quantity.  The obvious advantage of
RISC chips from the beginning, more than architectural purity, has been the
small size of the fool things.  The freakin' MIPS R3000 is about 1/3 the
size of the 68030 even with MMU and reasonbly sized caches.  Not much bigger
or more complex than a 68000.  That means at the high end they can move into
new chip technologies faster, and at the low end they can drop price faster.
Imagine what you could do with a CPU several times the performance of a
68030 for the price of a 68000.  It would make one helluva C64 replacement
:-).  The flaw, of course, is that any new system will run UNIX, which
makes the CPU piece of the pie a rather small cost concern when you look at
memory, hard disk, casework, monitors, and all the other goodies every UNIX
system needs no matter what CPU is inside.

>First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /

	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM

In article <16105@hydra.gatech.EDU> ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

>RISC processors very much lend themselves to emulating other machines
>(within limits).  A RISC simulator of an Amiga, while probably not
>easy, is certainly doable by reasonably sharp team.  Hell, it might be
>easier than SoftPC since the 68k instruction set is so much cleaner
>and more orthoginal that the Intel rubbish.

The problem with these simulators has never been the simulation of the CPU
itself.  I've run three software simulators on my Amiga: PC, C64, and CP/M.
The first two, commercial products, ran pretty slowly.  The CP/M emulator
was plenty fast.  Why?  Because the Z-80 is about all it has to emulate, the
rest of the system is handled via system calls that can be translated into
Amiga system calls.  The PC emulator has to emulate not only the 80x86
instruction set, but all the I/O chips at the register level.  So that
wordprocessor that works just dandy on a real PC now dies in emulation as it
sits there polling the keyboard controller chip, directly, 60 times a
second.  Similarly, that raster interrupt plus busy wait loop that used
to work on the VIC-II chip in a real C64 now just plain fails with the
software simulation of the VIC-II's registers sitting down underneath it.

As for Amiga simulation, if you build a real AmigaRISC machine, you might be
able to avoid many of these emulation problems.  Emulating the 680x0 would
not be a big deal.  If it's an AmigaRISC of some kind, it should have a chip
set that's similar enough to the Amiga's chip set to not need register level
emulation of all those registers.  Similarly, the Amiga OS is very function
call oriented; for the most part, only games are directly banging on the
hardware.  So for library functions, you get direct translations into RISC
versions of those, rather than having to emulate all of those 68000 opcodes.
You would most likely have trouble with anything that demanded too much real
time performance, but a good portion of stuff could probably be made to run.
That emulation box, though, would still be a considerable amount of work.
But in general, as an OS depends on only CPU and function calls, it can be
reasonably emulated.  As you add hardware register or time dependency, it
gets increasingly hairier.

In article <Oct.31.00.42.55.1990.6738@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:

>-Tom
>P.S.  I'm quite pro-RISC, I just wish SPARC spelled backwards
>wasn't "CRAPS".

But it's appropriate -- SPARC is a pretty big roll of the dice for Sun.  They
seem to be aiming it as what they would like to have established as the next
"industry standard" architecture (eg, what everyone clones).

dlt@locus.com (Dan Taylor) (11/01/90)

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

>Given the Amiga product philosphy of "inexpensive", I'd have to guess
>the AMD29K.  They're real cheap, and quite fast.

They are neither cheap nor fast.  I can bury one with an '030, on ANY
test.  The problem with all of the 'slice processors is the extra
cycles necessary to do memory ops.  And the '030 can be obtained with
a faster clock than the 29K. I once scrubbed a hardware managers
pet project using the 29116 by showing that an '020 would meet the
performance requirements, and be significantly cheaper.  The number of
chip required to implement a 29K is just too high.
--

* Dan Taylor    * The opinions expressed are my own, and in no way *
* dlt@locus.com * reflect those of Locus Computing Corporation.    *

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) (11/01/90)

From article <1990Oct30.192213.12708@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, by torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie):
>>On the other hand, the 68040 is as fast as current-generation RISC
>>chips.  So why go RISC at all?
>
>   Because next year's implementation of RISC (the 88110) will be about
> two to three times faster than next year's implementation of the 68040
> (even with the 040 running at 50MHz)

When you configure in memory at prices we in the street can afford (ie
dynamic ram) riscs stop dead, as their high mip speed is derived from
memory fetching on every cycle, whereas a cisc spends some time decoding
giving the memory time to catch its breath.  With sensible memory
interfacing (and you don't get anything else these days at these speeds)
the effective computation you get is a function of memory bandwidth, not
cisc/risc.  Split instruction/data paths and dual ported data memory are
probably the way of the future, but not at the cheap end of the market.
Wider buses too.
Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (11/01/90)

daglem@solan5.solan.unit.no (Dag Lem) writes:
>|> And the notion that RISCs "do virtually nothing with one instruction" will
>|> certainly be news to the designers of the MIPS R3000, who worked very hard
>|> to get the 'cycles per (useful) instruction' as close to 1.0 as possible!
>|> In fact, the R3000 achieves 1.27 clocks/SPEC integer.  You can be sure this
>|> is better than what the 68040 (certainly the FASTEST of the 68K line) can
>|> achieve, because Motorola's predicted performance for the 68040 isn't evenb
>|> that high.  And Motorola's 'performance predictions' are claims that have yet
>|> to be proven.

> Motorolas claims (OK they are claims) the 68040 on the average uses 1.3
> cycles per VERY useful integer instruction. I can't see what makes the
> number 1.27 seem so much smaller than 1.3 to you :-)

That's the point I was trying to make - the clocks/instr are nearly
identical if you can trust Motorola's claims.  You made the statement that
RISCs "do virtually nothing with one instruction", when it is clear from
MEASURED data that the R3000 does MORE with it's instuctions than the yet to
be measured 68040.  At identical clock speeds, the 68040 _might_ come close
to the R3000 in performance, but then the R3000 is already up to 40MHz,
while the 68040's best is 25MHz.

Another thing to note is that based on published performance claims,
Motorola's statements of VAX-MIPS are not nearly as trustworthy as MIPS'.
Here are a few numbers comparing measured SPEC data vs. Published MIPS:
(these numbers were compiled by John Mashey)

SPEC	SPEC 	SPEC	Published	System
Integer	Float	mark	mips
14.6	10.8	12.2	17.0		Motorola 8864SP, 20MHz, 128K
18.3	13.5	15.2	21.0		Motorola 8864SP, 25MHz, 128K
21.4	15.8	17.8	25.0		Motorola 8612, 33MHz, 32K

19.4	16.8	17.8	20.0		MIPS Magnum, 25MHz, 64K

Motorola's idea of MIPS is not as inflated as other companies, but you do
have to take their claims with a grain of salt.

wayned@wddami.spoami.com (Wayne Diener) (11/01/90)

>In article <2425@trlluna.trl.oz> aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) writes:
>From article <1990Oct30.192213.12708@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, by torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie):
>>>On the other hand, the 68040 is as fast as current-generation RISC
>>>chips.  So why go RISC at all?
>>
>>   Because next year's implementation of RISC (the 88110) will be about
>> two to three times faster than next year's implementation of the 68040
>> (even with the 040 running at 50MHz)
>
>When you configure in memory at prices we in the street can afford (ie
>dynamic ram) riscs stop dead, as their high mip speed is derived from
>memory fetching on every cycle, whereas a cisc spends some time decoding

Well, not exactly.  If you're talking about high performance systems
and are willing to grant that they'll need a fair amount of memory,
it's fairly easy and inexpensive to go to, say, 4 way interleaving
on the memory, use slower RAM chips than we're trying to stick
in our machines right now and still decrease the actual memory cycle
time.  Four megabytes, consisting of 16 256K simms would cost less
than $500, and using even 120 NS parts would yield an effective
access time of 30 NS.   Using 16 1 MB simms would give a 16 MB
memory module for less than $1500.  Same sort of timing calculations.

The problems arise in any memory expansion.  If you start out at the
four MB level, then that's also your expansion increment.

|       //                  Wayne D. Diener                     |
|      //                   Spokane, WA                         |
|  \\ //     E-mail reply to:                                   |
|   \X/      To: isc-br!hawk!wddami!wayned@uunet.uu.net         |

dlt@locus.com (Dan Taylor) (11/01/90)

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:

>In fact, the R3000 achieves 1.27 clocks/SPEC integer.  You can be sure this
>is better than what the 68040 (certainly the FASTEST of the 68K line) can
>achieve, because Motorola's predicted performance for the 68040 isn't evenb
>that high.  And Motorola's 'performance predictions' are claims that have yet
>to be proven.

I'd be careful about that.  Numbers like 1.18 for integer on the '040
are showing up regularly.
--

cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) (11/01/90)

In article <22914@grebyn.com>, ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
> In article <1156@iceman.jcu.oz> cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:
> >So what would we want a RISC Amiga to be based on, 88k? Sparc? i860? MIPS?
>
> Given the Amiga product philosphy of "inexpensive", I'd have to guess
> the AMD29K.  They're real cheap, and quite fast. After that I think 88K,
> because of the Motorola heritage of the Amiga.  Plus I just read that
> Motorola dropped the price of the 88K chip set, don't remember how low.
> Still much higher than a 68030.

I quite like the AMD29k, but to get good performance out the them
I think you need separate external buses to memory (1 for instruction,
and 1 for data), as this is how the chip goes quick.  I don't think
you get on-chip caches yet.  I could be wrong on this stuff so don't
flame, correct me.

> >What about compatibility with existing software?
>
> Forget about it.  RISC is a new architecture, a new instruction set, a
> new philosophy.

Not what I was thinking.  How about putting an emulator in the OS, and
having two different formats for executables.  If the OS detects a
old 68000 executable, it automatically runs it under the emuator, otherwise
it runs in normally.

> On the other hand, the 68040 is as fast as current-generation RISC
> chips.  So why go RISC at all?

No way.  The 68040 uses 1.2 million transistors to make it as
quick as RISC chips with 300,000 transistors.  The i860 RISC chip
uses 1 million transistors and is MUCH quicker than the i486/68040 which
uses a similar amount.  It may be possible to build a CISC as fast as
a RISC, but with current technology it takes more hardware.

Macintosh can see the death of the 680X0 series, but can C=.  I
have heard the next 88k chip, the 88110, will be VERY rapid....

In article <1990Oct30.233553.2944@ecst.csuchico.edu>, mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:
> In article <16105@hydra.gatech.EDU> ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
> >RISC
> >processors very much lend themselves to emulating other machines
> >(within limits).  A RISC simulator of an Amiga, while probably not
> >easy, is certainly doable by reasonably sharp team.  Hell, it might be
> >easier than SoftPC since the 68k instruction set is so much cleaner
> >and more orthoginal that the Intel rubbish.
>
> 	True, a 680x0 emulator would be easy, but the Amiga has those
> CUSTOM CHIPS.  Those would be a little trickier to emulate in software.
> (Not impossible, but the overhead to do it might be prohibitive).

Why emulate them in software?  It should be possible to leave them
in hardware.  Data access to the chips is via memory accessed with
are mapped to the chips, so it should be able to work ok.  An
emulator for the 680X0 would be a simple task, and since most of the
OS is in C, a lot of the OS should be easily ported.

Actually, I'd love to work on a project like this. I wonder if
C= would lend me their source code :-)

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (11/01/90)

In article <1156@iceman.jcu.oz> cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:

   So what would we want a RISC Amiga to be based on, 88k? Sparc? i860? MIPS?
   What about compatibility with existing software?

Isn't there already a RISC based Amiga?  (based on the Transputer)

Software may not be compatible, but at up to 120 Mips and 8Kx8K virtual screen
graphics, who would care as long as there was software?
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (11/02/90)

In article <dlt.657408889@fafnir.la.locus.com> dlt@locus.com (Dan Taylor) writes:
>ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>
>>Given the Amiga product philosphy of "inexpensive", I'd have to guess
>>the AMD29K.  They're real cheap, and quite fast.
>
>They are neither cheap nor fast.  I can bury one with an '030, on ANY
>test.  The problem with all of the 'slice processors is the extra
>cycles necessary to do memory ops.

Ooops...little confusion here.  We are talking about the AMD 29000
32-bit CPU, not the 2901 bit-slice, and certainly not the 29116 (gee,
I got one of those in my VME video controller...;').  Probably many of
the folks around here never new the 2901's exsisted...

In any case, were not the 2901/29116 pretty much past their prime when
the 68020 rolled out?  Not really suprising that they had inferior
performance at that point in the game, though in their day they were
pretty hot...

--
	ken seefried iii	"A sneer, a snarl, a whip that

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (11/02/90)

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:

>daglem@solan5.solan.unit.no (Dag Lem) writes:

>Another thing to note is that based on published performance claims,
>Motorola's statements of VAX-MIPS are not nearly as trustworthy as MIPS'.
>Here are a few numbers comparing measured SPEC data vs. Published MIPS:
>(these numbers were compiled by John Mashey)

>SPEC	SPEC 	SPEC	Published	System
>Integer	Float	mark	mips
>14.6	10.8	12.2	17.0		Motorola 8864SP, 20MHz, 128K
>18.3	13.5	15.2	21.0		Motorola 8864SP, 25MHz, 128K
>21.4	15.8	17.8	25.0		Motorola 8612, 33MHz, 32K

>19.4	16.8	17.8	20.0		MIPS Magnum, 25MHz, 64K

>Motorola's idea of MIPS is not as inflated as other companies, but you do
>have to take their claims with a grain of salt.

   What's even more peculiar is that the 20MHZ 8864SP drops in at 35.7 MIPS
in real life.  And we can achieve that speed rating on a semi-loaded
machine most of the time.  Its one thing to talk about the speed difference
between CISC and RISC, but it is entirely different when you actually sit
down and put a use to one.  Fastest damn FP I have seen in a mini.
Apparantely, the above values a wee bit understated.

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (11/02/90)

In article <15497@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com
(Dave Haynie) writes:

   The flaw, of course, is that any new system will run UNIX, which
   makes the CPU piece of the pie a rather small cost concern when you look at
   memory, hard disk, casework, monitors, and all the other goodies every UNIX
   system needs no matter what CPU is inside.

I would think that casework and monitors would be true of any system
regardless of operating system.  Memory and hard disk, though, are a function
of the flexibility and power of the software you use on the system.  The more
power and flexibility demanded, the more resources needed.  In this case, Unix
is more the standard than the CPU and Unix has become resource consumptive.

On the question of CPU, though, with the blinding speed at which higher
powered CPUs come out, how cost effective would it be to design a system to
allow for this moving target ("I'll swap you my CPU for your CPU and a CPU to
be named later"  ;-).
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

eachus@linus.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) (11/02/90)

     But why do any emulation at all.  The 3000 has a Co-processor
slot, and any GOOD board designer should be able to build an
i860/88000/AMD29000/MIPS/you choose board that slots in there.  The
hard part would be to modify AmigaDOS to recongize which processor a
task should run on.

     Of course it would be easier to build a board with a mailbox to
talk to AmigaDOS and run Unix on your i860 board.  Add an ethernet
connector and support for a (separate) internal hard disk and it might
be a pretty nice accelerator board.  But then again it is like some of
the recipies I heard for converting a 64 to a 128 first carefully
remove the power cord and save it...

    Seriously with an Ethernet board my Amiga is a very nice machine,
and when I need more than a 68030's worth of cruch power I do an
rlogin or an rsh.  (I actually have aliases that do one or the other.)
If I need a huge number cruncher box, I don't use a workstation.  (Or,
more correctly I use a workstation to display the results.)  It might
be nice to have an iPSC/2, or a MIPS R2000, or an Encore Multimax in
my Amiga, but I don't notice that they are not there now.
--

					Robert I. Eachus

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
function MESSAGE (TEXT: in CLEVER_IDEAS) return BETTER_IDEAS is...

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/02/90)

I was thinking maybe parallel processing, andhaving an MC680x0, as well
as a RISC chip. The obvious choice, IMHO, is a SPARC, sinceit's real
close to Motorola chips. (And was based on the 680x0). SOmeone suggested
using a program to detect which CPU the software was for, and then the OS
could justrun the program on the appropriate CPU. If Commodore did
something like that, then full parallel processing wouldn't be far off
for the masses.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

lindblad@cc.helsinki.fi (11/02/90)

> to get the 'cycles per (useful) instruction' as close to 1.0 as possible!
> In fact, the R3000 achieves 1.27 clocks/SPEC integer.  You can be sure this
> is better than what the 68040 (certainly the FASTEST of the 68K line) can
> achieve, because Motorola's predicted performance for the 68040 isn't evenb

Current beta (or something like that) versions of 68040 do one istruction
1.3 cycles. And it's instruction set is optimized in a way that mostly used
istructions are fastest. Difference between 1.27 and 1.3 is not worth
mentioning.
	Today there are already 30-40 MHz versions of RISC chips. Well, I think
that within months there will be something like 50 or 60 MHz versions of
68040., as there are alredy 50 MHz 68030s and 60 MHz 68882s producted.
	I don't think that it would be worth putting RISC chips on Amiga as
CPUs, simply because of differences in instruction sets of 68000-series and
RISC processors. But in future, there will propably be some special purpose
RISC chips on Amiga (like Intels i860 (I hope that VLIW-processor was i860)).
	In few years RISC chips go far ahead 040 and then in about three years
there will be 68050 and it equals the speeds, and then RISCs go ahead again.
But still most computers to be sold will be CISC computers. For now.

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu (11/03/90)

     Just to add my $0.02 worth wouldn't any Risc Amiga have to have all of
the custom chips to do graphic sound etc., and wouldn't this make emulation
of a "regular" amiga possible?

 If all the world's a stage and we are but actors, where's the curtain?
--|

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (11/03/90)

lindblad@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
> M. LeBlanc wrote:
>> to get the 'cycles per (useful) instruction' as close to 1.0 as possible!
>> In fact, the R3000 achieves 1.27 clocks/SPEC integer.  You can be sure this
>> is better than what the 68040 (certainly the FASTEST of the 68K line) can
>> achieve, because Motorola's predicted performance for the 68040 isn't evenb

>Current beta (or something like that) versions of 68040 do one istruction
>1.3 cycles. And it's instruction set is optimized in a way that mostly used
>istructions are fastest. Difference between 1.27 and 1.3 is not worth
>mentioning.

And by what measurement does Motorola get the claim of 1.3 cycles/instr?
This is why I specifically quoted official SPEC numbers for the R3000.  NO
68040 workstation vendors have released any SPEC results!  None, not ONE!
This isn't surprising, because the 68040 isn't officially released yet.

If you remember the original article, I wasn't trying to say that the R3000
would have significant speed advantage at equal clock rates, I was just
responding to the original poster's claim that "RISCs do virtually nothing
with one instruction", which is clearly not true.

>	Today there are already 30-40 MHz versions of RISC chips. Well, I think
>that within months there will be something like 50 or 60 MHz versions of
>68040., as there are alredy 50 MHz 68030s and 60 MHz 68882s producted.

This doesn't mean anything, since a 50 MHz 68030 isn't even as fast as a
10 MHz R2000.  Clock rates don't mean much when cycles/instr are vastly
different.  50 MHz 68040 in a few months?  We were supposed to be able to
buy 25 MHz 68040's almost a year ago.  You can buy 40 MHz R3000s today, but
you still can't get a 25 MHz 68040.

Not that I really care.  I'm quite happy with a 68030 Amiga.

>	I don't think that it would be worth putting RISC chips on Amiga as
>CPUs, simply because of differences in instruction sets of 68000-series and
>RISC processors. But in future, there will propably be some special purpose
>RISC chips on Amiga ...

I agree.  Let's stick with 680x0's in Amigas for now.

>But still most computers to be sold will be CISC computers. For now.

Sad, but true.

Marcel A. LeBlanc  --  Electrical Eng. Computer Group, Univ. of Toronto
leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu		else: uunet!utcsri!eecg!leblanc

peter@dbaccess.com (Peter A. Castro) (11/06/90)

in article <90306.212717AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu>, AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu says:
+
+
+      Just to add my $0.02 worth wouldn't any Risc Amiga have to have all of
+ the custom chips to do graphic sound etc., and wouldn't this make emulation
+ of a "regular" amiga possible?

  Just to add $0.02 to your $0.02, the 68040 as an optimization of the most
  used instructions to be approximately 1.3 cycles per instruction.  Most
  RISC processors have optimizations that cycles per instruction approaches
  1.0.  Being that RISC processors would have to do "interpretation" of 68000
  code in order to simulate the execution, it is very doubtful that any RISC
  processor, running at the same speed, could "emulate" the 68040.  The
  best the RISC processor could achieve would be "simulation" and at a
  reduced equivalent speed.  You could argue that the RISC chip be run at
  a faster speed, but why not just run the 040 at a fast speed as well?
  Remember that the A3000 has a 68030 with the envisionment that a 68040
  board will be added to it (upgrade?).
  On another note, why not look at the MISC (Minimal Instr. Set Computer)
  architecture, which purports to be able to load different emulation sets
  to approach emulation speeds of various processors (Latest UnixWorld, I
  think).  Imagine, stick a disk in, boot up, and *pow* run your favorite
  processor/machine emulation on your Amiga.  Boy, wouldn't that be neat!
--
Peter A. Castro                   INTERNET: peter@dbaccess.com        // //|
c/o DB Access Inc.                UUCP: {uunet,mips}!troi!peter      // //||

In article <1990Oct31.165728.3196@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:

>Another thing to note is that based on published performance claims,
>Motorola's statements of VAX-MIPS are not nearly as trustworthy as MIPS'.
>Here are a few numbers comparing measured SPEC data vs. Published MIPS:
>(these numbers were compiled by John Mashey)

>SPEC	SPEC 	SPEC	Published	System
>Integer	Float	mark	mips
>14.6	10.8	12.2	17.0		Motorola 8864SP, 20MHz, 128K
>18.3	13.5	15.2	21.0		Motorola 8864SP, 25MHz, 128K
>21.4	15.8	17.8	25.0		Motorola 8612, 33MHz, 32K

>19.4	16.8	17.8	20.0		MIPS Magnum, 25MHz, 64K

>Motorola's idea of MIPS is not as inflated as other companies, but you do
>have to take their claims with a grain of salt.

Your point is correct, but lots of folks seem to get confused these days over
the terminology in it.  SPECmarks aren't a true measure of any "instructions/
second", but in fact a measure of preformance relative to a VAX 11/780 on a
series of integer and floating point benchmarks.  SPECmarks are certainly more
accurate than any MIPS claim, especially since the SPEC series benchmarks are
more "real-world" than programs like Dhrystone, often used to calculate MIPS.
That's why marketing folks continue to speak in terms of MIPS and quote
Dhrystone 1.1 numbers when these come out favorable (perhaps due to weak but
fast instructions in the first case and optimizing compilers and/or
Dhrystone-sized caches in the second case).

The other main problem is that Motorola's claim of MIPS for any chip is just a
claim for that Chip, everything being perfect.  SPECmarks are a test of a real
living system, which includes the memory bus performance, compiler performance,
etc.  Between real live 68030 systems on the market, you can see more than a
4:1 variation in performance based on memory and system architecture and on
compiler performance.  Benchmark suites like SPEC and AIM were designed to
make an attempt at measuring this true system performance, unmasked by cache
or cheap compiler tricks.  So you would expect any chip claim to be the best
possible performance with that system, which would usually be an impossible
situation.  These are usually generated with simulators even before the chip
works.  You don't want to pay for the 25MHz 68040 system with 0 wait state
main memory that would be required to get Moto's MIPS claim for the 25MHz
68040, assuming that those claims are valid.  Even with a big external cache,
real live systems will fall short of the ideal, at least until we get some
main memories that can keep up with these modern CPUs.

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (11/07/90)

In article <885@troi.dbaccess.com> peter@dbaccess.com (Peter A. Castro) writes:
>  On another note, why not look at the MISC (Minimal Instr. Set Computer)
>  architecture, which purports to be able to load different emulation sets
>  to approach emulation speeds of various processors (Latest UnixWorld, I
>  think).  Imagine, stick a disk in, boot up, and *pow* run your favorite
>  processor/machine emulation on your Amiga.  Boy, wouldn't that be neat!

And wouldn't it be great if they brought BEER!?  :-)

'Minds me of the ultra-RISC machine a friend of mine came up with.  One
instruction: NOP.  I decided that wasn't very useful so I enhanced the
instruction set by adding JUMP...

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
If all you do in life are important things, then   | Steven King  708-540-6771

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (11/08/90)

I think the bet solution to having a RISC processor is to have an accelerator
board with the 040 and a RISC. The 040 would do most of the propriatory code
while the RISC would be used for FFP and other such math through the use of
libraries. The RISC would also be avalable to do anything for programs that
utalise it. Of course you would then have Chip mem, Fast Mem and Risc mem.
The RISC would have to have it's own section of memory but it would also need
access to the Main Bus (i.e. access to fast mem). Just thinking about it,
wouldn't the MIPS 3000 be a great replacement for the Blitter! You Could also
have the RISC do such things as real time compression to the HD, Forier
transforms for sound processing, endless list of things.... I like this idea
i'll do it right after I get my EE degree in 2 more years.

Amiga@walt.utexas.edu	                   .....Paul......

I like boats, they're healthier than valium.
					Cost more tho.

In article <39367@ut-emx.uucp> amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes:
>I think the bet solution to having a RISC processor is to have an accelerator
>board with the 040 and a RISC. The 040 would do most of the propriatory code
>while the RISC would be used for FFP and other such math through the use of
>libraries.

While I think it would be fun and interesting to have a RISC coprocessor to
play with, there are two flaws in using it for your math:

	1) The 68040 floating point should be very comparable to any standard
	   general purpose RISC chip, like a Sparc or R3000.  Certainly some
	   DSPs and the i860 could run rings around any of these under the
	   right circumstances.  That brings us to

	2) The math libraries are too finely grained.  For math intensive
	   stuff, any in-line 680x0 FPU codes are going to run MUCH faster
	   than any math library calls.  Plus you get floating point variables,
	   which you don't get between math library calls.  For a good portion
	   of the math library functions, the overhead of the call is a large
	   portion of the cycle count for the function on any system with a
	   hardware FPU.

The math libraries are a good thing, in that they give you a standard math
interface for any Amiga CPU.  And, at least with the IEEE libraries, the
functions will run faster with a math chip in the system.  Which is OK for
things like spreadsheet recalculations or other relatively short lived
math functions.  But nothing you're going to want to have during a 12 hour
ray tracing session.

What's really required to take advantage of some faster math processing units
is a higher level math function library.  Something that supports matrix
multiplications, fourier and S transforms, etc.  If you make the function
itself, even on a fast math chip, last significantly longer than the function
call overhead, you have a winning situation.  But calling the IEEE library
simply to do a 64 bit floating point multiply is already a loss on a 68030
system; making you i860 do the multiply isn't going to speed anything up
there.

>The RISC would have to have it's own section of memory but it would also need
>access to the Main Bus (i.e. access to fast mem). Just thinking about it,
>wouldn't the MIPS 3000 be a great replacement for the Blitter!

On the A3000, the 68030 already can do a number of video things significantly
faster than the blitter.

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) (11/15/90)

From article <15759@cbmvax.commodore.com>, by daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie):
> On the A3000, the 68030 already can do a number of video things significantly
> faster than the blitter.

So when is the 28MHz blitter coming out? :-)