[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] port 1 joystick switch

jea@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (11/15/90)

Does anyone have a parts list for a mouse <=> joystick
switch for port one? What kinda switch should I use?

Joanne
jea@cvs.rochester.edu

mueller@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) (11/15/90)

In article <10412@ur-cc.UUCP> jea@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
>Does anyone have a parts list for a mouse <=> joystick
>switch for port one? What kinda switch should I use?

I've successfully used a quad 2x1 multiplexer chip to switch between
a mouse and a joystick.  I forget the part number; it's either 74257
or 74258 (one has inverting outputs; the one you want doesn't).  Using
low-power devices seems like a good idea (ie 74LS257 74LS258).

The reason I used this chip is that it was easier to find than a
4-pole double-throw switch, which is what you'd need otherwise.  With
the chip, I just use a single-pole switch to toggle its select line.

Whichever way you go, you need at least:

    2 DB-9 plugs (male)
    1 DB-9 socket (female)
    wire

Also nice would be something to hold all the pieces together (like a
box).  You can get away with just using the wire, but it's kinda
messy, especially if you use the chip (in which case a small circuit
board isn't a bad idea).

Then it's just a matter of wiring.  The left-right-up-down (or the
corresponding mouse signals) from each plug are hooked up the the
switch/chip-inputs, and the switch/chip-outputs hook up to the
corresponding pins on the socket.  Hook power and ground up to both
plugs, and hook the button inputs to both plugs.  If you're using a
switch, you're done.

If using the chip, it also needs the power and ground lines, and its
chip-select lines must also be hooked up to the appropriate voltages
to activate the chip-outputs.  The input select switch then needs one
side hooked to ground, the other side to power, and the middle to the
input-select for the mux chip.

I'm not quite an EE-type, so there might be some debate about the chip
inputs being wired satisfactorily (ie, they're left 'floating' when
you switch over to a centered joystick).  But what I've done seems to
work.

If you can find a 4PDT switch, that'd be the way to go, I guess.

-Carl (mueller@cs.unc.edu)