[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Dead A2620 board...what do I do with it???

gutierrez@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez) (11/17/90)

I have a dead 2620 board.

It first starting having guru problems (nope, like an idiot, I never wrote
the guru errors down...), then it wouldn't boot up properly.  Now, it
just doesn't exsist in the system anymore. I can't even get the 68000/
68020 menu up, it just boots straight into the 68000 and thinks the 2620
doesn't exisit.

I had a local shop look into it loooong time ago, and they changed the PALs
and the processor, but no difference.  They then gave the board back and
told me I was just out of luck.  Suggestions included buying a new 2620.

Now, I obviously have an investment in the system/board, and I'd like to
see it running again.  What choices do I have???  Am I really out of luck???
If that is so, obviously, I have *NO* intention in getting another 2620
just to see it go the same way...

Any suggestions, like shops (either in the San Francisco/Silicon Valley)
or mail order places that can fix it???

Please, I do not do as many things on my Amy anymore, since I have a 25 mhz
386-PC, and it does seem to be reaaaal fast...

Thanks in advance.

   Robert Gutierrez
   NASA Science Internet Network Operations.

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov17.034536.7954@nas.nasa.gov> gutierrez@noc.arc.nasa.gov
(Robert Michael Gutierrez) writes:

>I have a dead 2620 board.
>
>It first starting having guru problems (nope, like an idiot, I never wrote
>the guru errors down...), then it wouldn't boot up properly.  Now, it
>just doesn't exsist in the system anymore. I can't even get the 68000/
>68020 menu up, it just boots straight into the 68000 and thinks the 2620
>doesn't exisit.

     My 2620 has been slowly dying too, with symptoms very much like
yours.  It starts off flickering between black and gray screens about
once a second, with the power light flashing in time with the screen.
If I leave it for several minutes, it will eventually boot properly,
although it might come up with gurus or the Workbench hand, or otherwise
need the three-finger salute to help it along.  Once it decides to work,
though, everything is fine for as long as I leave the power on.

     I mentioned this to my dealer, and he recognized the symptoms.
Unfortunately, it looks like it'll have to go back to the factory for
repairs.  I can live the the 68000 for now; what I miss is that two
megabytes of memory that are on the 2620.  I can't live in a single
megabyte any more :-(  Take that, you MS-DOS freaks.  :-)

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
Intel put the "backward" in "backward compatible."