[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amiga 3000UX graphics

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (11/18/90)

In article <15930@cbmvax.commodore.com> hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) writes:
>The A2410 Hires graphics card has a TI34010 on it and as stated above
>uses the TIGA software.  The display is programmable and the most likely
>off the self resolutions that will be available are:
>1024x768: 256 on screen colors out of a palette of 16.8 million (24-bit)
>1024x1024:  "    "       "           "               "           "
>800x600:   "          "          "            "          "
>640x480 (interlaced NTSC):       "              "         "         "

I'd like to point out that 256 colors out of a 24 bit palette is BEAUTIFUL.
Not quite 24 bit, but VERY, VERY nice nevertheless.  At these kinds of
resolutions, 8 bits is great, 24 bit color is only needed in the most demanding
of applications.

>Note that the A2410 also can have three overlay planes on top of the 256
>on-screen colors for three more on-screen colors.  The UNIX software can
>directly use this board for color X-windows applications which makes for
>a very nice display.

Directly?  I'm assuming you mean via DIG (Device Independent Graphics).
Hmmm... That's interesting.  3 overlay planes huh?

>You can use this card with the 1950 monitor but only with the 800x600 or
>lower display resolutions.  The other higher resolutions require
>something like a NEC 4D or 5D monitor.

What are the scan rates for the various resolutions?  What modes are
interlaced?  I only saw the 640x480.  I have a NEC 3D.  Seems like I jumped
too soon for too little.  Should have shelled out the extra bucks for a
better monitor.

>I hope this helps..

This makes my day 8-)